Junior Girls' Doubles • Semifinals
C. Ngounoue 1/D. Shnaider 1 vs C. Kempenaers-Pocz WC/T. Preston WC

Court 8

Day session - From 7:00pm EST

Women's Wheelchair Singles • Final
D. De Groot 1 vs A. Van Koot

Men's Wheelchair Singles • Final
S. Kunieda 1 vs A. Hewett 2

by Deuce The broadcast I'm getting for the Kokkinakis/Kyrgios doubles match has Robbie Koenig AND Brad Stine commentating. This is the worst possible scenario... I can maybe tolerate the obnoxiousness of Kyrgios and Kokkinakis - and possibly that of Koenig ... but definitely not all of the above together on one broadcast.
Koenig and Stine have no idea how to shut up.
Of the two, Stine is the worst.

by meganfernandez Nick lost his sh*t when he lost serve in the 2nd and someone from the crowd was rowdy as he was preparing to serve. He yelled at that person to be quiet during the serve and jawed at the umpire too. Broke his racket after losing the game. He was already pissed because he thought the netcord sensor was making phantom calls. So this crowd that he riles up and feeds off of bites him in the ass. So poetic.

If he were a professional player, he would have kept it together and done his job of holding serve for a set and 5-2 lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:28 am Nick lost his sh*t when he lost serve in the 2nd and someone from the crowd was rowdy as he was preparing to serve. He yelled at that person to be quiet during the serve and jawed at the umpire too. Broke his racket after losing the game. He was already pissed because he thought the netcord sensor was making phantom calls. So this crowd that he riles up and feeds off of bites him in the ass. So poetic.

If he were a professional player, he would have kept it together and done his job of holding serve for a set and 5-2 lead.

And he would be holding one or two slams by now ;)
Having said that. The racquet smashing was like the rest of his game. The economy of motion was superb, just a simple flick of the wrist, the destruction was assured. A minimalistic jewel of racquet demise.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:28 am Nick lost his sh*t when he lost serve in the 2nd and someone from the crowd was rowdy as he was preparing to serve. He yelled at that person to be quiet during the serve and jawed at the umpire too. Broke his racket after losing the game. He was already pissed because he thought the netcord sensor was making phantom calls. So this crowd that he riles up and feeds off of bites him in the ass. So poetic.

And he would be holding one or two slams by now ;)
Having said that. The racquet smashing was like the rest of his game. The economy of motion was superb, just a simple flick of the wrist, the destruction was assured. A minimalistic jewel of racquet demise.
Racquet smash as self portrait

by Suliso Krejcikova and Siniakova will be playing for their fifth doubles GS together against Danilina and Haddad Maia. I think they're heavy favorites to win that match.

by dmforever Oooops, I posted in the wrong place.
4 Aussies in the men's doubles final, right? And two in the mixed final. :)

Kevin

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:37 am Krejcikova and Siniakova will be playing for their fifth doubles GS together against Danilina and Haddad Maia. I think they're heavy favorites to win that match.
Well, the Japanese team of Aoyama & Shibahara were the 2nd seeds and heavy favourites against Danilina & Haddad Maia, as well. That's 2 consecutive tournaments where they beat the Japanese pair - they also beat them in the Semis at Sydney a couple of weeks ago, on their way to winning the tournament.

Danilina & Haddad Maia have an impressive streak going - and they apparently had never played together before Sydney! It's very rare that such chemistry is found immediately.
Although Krejcikova & Siniakova are a formidable pair, I wouldn't bet against Danilina & Haddad Maia at this point.

by Suliso Nothing is for sure definitely, but in my opinion the Japanese pair were kind of a fake #2. Neither partner has reached a GS final before.

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:13 am Nothing is for sure definitely, but in my opinion the Japanese pair were kind of a fake #2. Neither partner has reached a GS final before.
Well... they got to the Semis of the WTA Finals and Indian Wells. They're one of the top teams currently. I don't know how long they've been playing together.
They were seeded #2 here because Mertens and Hsieh broke up. Is there any other team who could have/would have been seeded #2, but aren't playing the Aussie Open?
If not, then the Japanese team deserve their seeding.

by Deuce These wheelchair players are impressive.
We don't get much chance to watch them on TV... because they're not often on TV. But this one is, because it's Dylan Alcott's final match, and it's in Australia...

It's not looking good for Alcott at this point, though - he lost the 1st set, and is down 0-3 in the 2nd.
Sam Schroder is hitting some great shots - and ruining the party for the Aussies...

by Suliso They probably do deserve the seeding. Just wanted to say that they are light years away in accomplishments from Krejcikova/Siniakova.

One could argue that Mertens/Kudermetova is a stronger team, but time will tell if that is actually the case.

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:29 am They probably do deserve the seeding. Just wanted to say that they are light years away in accomplishments from Krejcikova/Siniakova.

One could argue that Mertens/Kudermetova is a stronger team, but time will tell if that is actually the case.
Mertens/Kudermetova are an unknown team, as they've just begun to play together. Whatever each may have done in doubles previously is largely irrelevant to their strength as a team, because doubles is so much about team chemistry.

by ashkor87 I expect Barty will beat Keys something like 3 and 0, and Collins will beat Swiatek in a tight, close, not so great match..Collins is greatly improved, her serve and consistency..Swiatek didn't impress me in her win over Kanepi

by Suliso So far Barty is having a far easier time than I expected...

by Liamvalid This is another example of why I don’t like watching Barty play. It’s nothing against her game, but her opponents seem to turn into error machines. I can’t think of many close Barty matches where both her and her opponents played their best level

by Suliso I wonder if it's Barty's slice which generates a large proportion of those errors.

by Deuce Well... that was rather quick and unexciting...

by Liamvalid It could be, and with not many WTA players reaching the latter parts of big tournaments on a regular basis, it’s like the women are not playing her often enough to figure out how to handle her game. But full credit to Barty, as I’ve said before I think she’s great for the sport

by texasniteowl well, that wasn't worth the sleep I just lost. swiatek and collins will be better, right?

by Deuce
texasniteowl wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:10 am well, that wasn't worth the sleep I just lost. swiatek and collins will be better, right?
Uhhh...
Well...

by texasniteowl
Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:30 am
texasniteowl wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:10 am well, that wasn't worth the sleep I just lost. swiatek and collins will be better, right?
Uhhh...
Well...
well...at least Iga is finally on the board

by Deuce
Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:48 am Well... that was rather quick and unexciting...
x2.

by texasniteowl well...those were 2 pretty straightforward and unexpectedly easy semis.

and I don't like the back of Swiatek's top...the cape or flap or whatever.

by Liamvalid When I first got into tennis in the 90s, the AO was notorious for boring one sided womens matches, especially the finals. Hope Barty and Collins can carry over todays form into the final and give us a good match to watch

by Deuce
texasniteowl wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:31 am well...those were 2 pretty straightforward and unexpectedly easy semis.

and I don't like the back of Swiatek's top...the cape or flap or whatever.
It's better than the shirt that likely inspired it, though :lol: ...

by texasniteowl eww. how do I unsee that!

by ashkor87
Liamvalid wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:24 am This is another example of why I don’t like watching Barty play. It’s nothing against her game, but her opponents seem to turn into error machines. I can’t think of many close Barty matches where both her and her opponents played their best level
Anisimova played well, I thought...

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:I expect Barty will beat Keys something like 3 and 0, and Collins will beat Swiatek in a tight, close, not so great match..Collins is greatly improved, her serve and consistency..Swiatek didn't impress me in her win over Kanepi
Good call!

by meganfernandez NCAA player into the AO final for the 2nd year in a row.

by Liamvalid
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:10 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:24 am This is another example of why I don’t like watching Barty play. It’s nothing against her game, but her opponents seem to turn into error machines. I can’t think of many close Barty matches where both her and her opponents played their best level
Anisimova played well, I thought...
Still lots of errors though, some of them pretty wild. I get that Barty's play kind of forces them into it, but my point is that I don't enjoy watching those kinds of matches. Would much prefer to watch Barty play someone with more variety instead of just trying to blast winners from bad positions

by Suliso Collins is this year's Brady. Of course it's possible that Barty will freeze under pressure thus giving her a chance, but I think it's unlikely. Odds probably something like 80-20 in Barty's favor.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Collins is this year's Brady. Of course it's possible that Barty will freeze under pressure thus giving her a chance, but I think it's unlikely. Odds probably something like 80-20 in Barty's favor.
Tend to agree, but… Collins beat Barty last year … on Australian hard court. :) I think Collins will be more confident than anyone Barty had played so far. Barty might be a little tight. Could be a good match. If Barty schools her, it will be pretty darn impressive. Just hope for a good match!

by Deuce I'm happy that Collins didn’t hastily put an expensive watch on her wrist before the on-court interview like so many other players unfortunately do.
It’s so phony and artificial and out of place (do they need to know the time during their interview? :roll: ). A watch should be a functional and practical item, not a show-off piece. No sponsor could pay me enough to put a watch on just for the money, and when I have no practical use for it.
Collins isn’t the phony type (some may feel that she’s a little too raw) - she’s quite ‘what you see is what you get - and if you don’t like it, that’s fine’ - and that’s refreshing in an increasingly superficial and artificial world.

by meganfernandez

by mick1303 You can't practice being a lefty and having Nadal-like forehand to kill slices )

by meganfernandez
mick1303 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:35 pm You can't practice being a lefty and having Nadal-like forehand to kill slices )

But you can develop your own slice to counter a slice, and these players should. Might come in handy on offense, too. The top players - who expect to battle Barty for the big titles - should be working on their slice.

by meganfernandez
mick1303 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:35 pm You can't practice being a lefty and having Nadal-like forehand to kill slices )

But you can develop your own slice to counter a slice, and these players should. Might come in handy on offense, too. The top players - who expect to battle Barty for the big titles - should be working on their slice.

I don't see why it's so hard to deal with. You get low and use your wrist. Maybe Barty's is particularly nasty. You have to move the feet and then be really patient.

by mick1303
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:57 pm

I don't see why it's so hard to deal with. You get low and use your wrist. Maybe Barty's is particularly nasty. You have to move the feet and then be really patient.
There is more to the slice than the shot itself from the technical standpoint. One should also understand WHEN to use it. If your slice is only to counter opponent's slice, then you're reacting all the time rather than acting. Losing initiative against such polished player is bad.

by ti-amie
mick1303 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:11 pm

There is more to the slice when the shot itself from the technical standpoint. One should also understand WHEN to use it. If your slice is only to counter opponent's slice, then you're reacting all the time rather than acting. Losing initiative against such polished player is bad.
Barty has always used her slice as an offensive weapon no? I think Mick's point is the key.

by meganfernandez
mick1303 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:11 pm

There is more to the slice when the shot itself from the technical standpoint. One should also understand WHEN to use it. If your slice is only to counter opponent's slice, then you're reacting all the time rather than acting. Losing initiative against such polished player is bad.
Right, but it's not about having a reactionary-heavy game plan from the outset. It's about being ready to deal with a challenge when it happens. You still have to react in tennis even if you're being aggressive. Question is how do you deal with it so you steer the match back toward the game you want to play. Sometimes the best you can do is neutralize the slice and wait for a better ball to attack. It seems like her opponents are having time trouble neutralizing the slice and not getting way behind in the point.

by Suliso Barty has the best backhand slice in women's game since I don't even know who.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:42 pm Barty has the best backhand slice in women's game since I don't even know who.
Navratilova?

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:42 pm Barty has the best backhand slice in women's game since I don't even know who.
Steffi.
The difference is that the other players, when they are going to hit a slice, keep their non-dominant hand on the grip. That stops you from getting your racquet head very high, and your slice floats. Barty takes her left hand UP the racquet's throat, and she can therefore bring that racquet head way up and she can hit through and out into the ball. Other slices simply don't have that bite. Hers really hit the court and slide through it; the other hit the court and sit up.
I would say she even has the best slice for a two handed BH player of either tour. It is almost up there with Roger's, whom of course is a one hander.

Totally surprised by the scores, which are way too easy for what I expected. I said Collins would beat Swiatek but never did I thought it would be that easy.
Somehow, I say Barty will have an easy time with Collins too. That slice again. So, although yesterday I said we are not in a BARTY ERA, we may be about to start. It would make her a three Slam champion, and she has already won RG and W. Maybe a couple of years of clearly being the dominant player, as she would be in a great position to win another slam this year.

by mick1303
Nathalie Tauziat had a mean slice.

by JazzNU A shame Madison couldn't must anything against Ash. I thought she'd at least serve better given how well she's been doing it the last two tournaments, that's why I gave her a chance, but she really couldn't do anything. I initially thought Ash would win the tournament when I thought Novax was playing, thought that distraction would be perfect for her to make a run under the radar. I thought she'd get bounced in an earlier round than this once it became clear her ending the drought would be the focus of the Aussie Open. She's impressing me with how steady she's been given how she's (I assume) gotten nervous the closer she's gotten to the title in years past. I assume all she had to deal with last season was able

Collins vs. Swiatek went exactly how I expected it to go. Unless she's been injured, I have never seen Danielle let an opponent off the hook, she needs to be hit or sliced off the court to beat her, she's not going to give it to you in any way on her own and is gonna give as good as she's getting if she can. I didn't see a way that Iga would get lucky on that front 3 rounds in a row with Danielle across the net, and Iga's form this tournament wasn't suggestive to me that she'd be able to muster what was necessary to hit Danielle off the court.

I like Iga a lot, not sure how she could look like she did at that post-Aussie Open tournament last year like she was going to be a beast on hard courts, to what she is now. But I hope she can recapture that hard court form soon. Yes, I know she's gotten to the semis, but having watched her last 4 matches, only the one against Dasha was truly impressive. I'd say she has a lot of work to do before she's able to win a big hard court title soon. I'd love to be wrong about that though.

by ti-amie I didn't watch either match. I did think that Swiatek, who barely beat Kaia Kanepi who was self destructing in front of our eyes, had a chance of losing to Collins who is just out there taking names.

I never thought Keys would beat Barty. She was coming in nervous and once you make her have to move when she doesn't want to you've beaten her. Madison did have a nice run though and with the help of some favorable draws at IW and Miami might go deep again.

by dmforever So I decided to watch the replays on TC. They showed only the second set of the first semi and only the first set of the second semi. :( :( :(

From the one set of each match that I saw, Ash and Danielle both looked super sharp. I'm looking forward to the final.

Kevin

by JazzNU Well for anyone that didn't watch Collins vs. Swiatek, to me at least, the 6-4 6-1 win is a bit deceiving. I think that line makes it seem like that first set was quite competitive. It was definitely more competitive than the second for sure, but Collins was up 4-0 in the first set, the same way she was in the second set, but she stumbled with her serve in particular (possibly a touch of nerves), throwing in some very untimely double faults in the back half of the first set, and it helped Iga get back in that set somewhat. She got the score to 2-4 and 3-5, but never back on serve. For me, it never felt to me like Danielle was truly in danger of dropping that first set.

by ptmcmahon
Was barely worth recording it and having on in background while I worked, let alone losing sleep over! :)

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:20 pm NCAA player into the AO final for the 2nd year in a row.

Yep..last year I was happy, I am a Bruin too..

by Deuce
Pam Shriver!
:lol:

by ashkor87
Deuce wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:50 am
Pam Shriver!
:lol:
And slice is very effective on hard courts...

by ashkor87 Graf had a nice slice...