'22 AO Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: '22 AO Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:01 pm
Why can't these people stop coaching? Is it a compulsion? Is it hubris? Is it just too reflexive? Do they not know what counts as coaching? It's bizarre.

Post by meganfernandez »

mick1303 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:15 pm I'm wondering if Novak will give Meddy a call with the words of encouragement ))
They are buddies, so maybe... although Novak has already done Medvedev a huge favor.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:11 pm
Why can't these people stop coaching? Is it a compulsion? Is it hubris? Is it just too reflexive? Do they not know what counts as coaching? It's bizarre.
They truly believe that Jr. can't win without their advice. They need to introduce themselves into the match. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that some of these tennis parents simply live vicariously the tennis life they never had, via their more talented children.
Medvedev has become a serial abuser of the chair, and it seems to be a current theme with the new generation. Of course, not all. Plenty are very nice and well behaved: FAA, Berrettini, Rublev. But there are enough characters on the tour to make it concerning for the image of the game. If you have ONE villain, sure, it ads to the broth. If you have several (Medvedev, Tsisipas, Shapo) then it gets to be too much.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:11 pm
They truly believe that Jr. can't win without their advice. They need to introduce themselves into the match. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that some of these tennis parents simply live vicariously the tennis life they never had, via their more talented children.
Medvedev has become a serial abuser of the chair, and it seems to be a current theme with the new generation. Of course, not all. Plenty are very nice and well behaved: FAA, Berrettini, Rublev. But there are enough characters on the tour to make it concerning for the image of the game. If you have ONE villain, sure, it ads to the broth. If you have several (Medvedev, Tsisipas, Shapo) then it gets to be too much.
Yeah, Medvedev's sustained, full-throated tirade and demands to “LOOK AT ME WHEN I AM TALKING TO YOU!” were pretty ugly. It’s one thing to pop off in frustration. To demean is another. Roddick demeaned umpires and line judges and I hated it.

https://www.instagram.com/underarmserve ... =copy_link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by meganfernandez on Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

They just showed the highlights of the Medvedev/Tsisipas match, and the Medvedev meltdown. That is the kind of thing that if tennis had a commissioner, it would earn you a huge fine and/or a suspension.
That was pretty low.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:46 pm They just showed the highlights of the Medvedev/Tsisipas match, and the Medvedev meltdown. That is the kind of thing that if tennis had a commissioner, it would earn you a huge fine and/or a suspension.
That was pretty low.
It was extreme. But I must say, I got a cheap laugh from this comment, especially because it's crafted in a second or third language. He's an artist.

Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

After Nadal ended his season early last year, and Nole won #20, I kind of made peace with the fact that I probably wouldn’t see Rafa on a court again, and to follow the progress of some of the other players I like, and to get used to Nole adding to his slam count. Now this is happening, I’m all a nervous wreck again about whether Nadal is finally going to get his second Aussie, and I’m about 90% sure Medvedev will win, and I’m dreading watching it already. I miss that peace of mind that I had last year!!!
Mary, queen of shots

Post by meganfernandez »

Liamvalid wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:28 pm After Nadal ended his season early last year, and Nole won #20, I kind of made peace with the fact that I probably wouldn’t see Rafa on a court again, and to follow the progress of some of the other players I like, and to get used to Nole adding to his slam count. Now this is happening, I’m all a nervous wreck again about whether Nadal is finally going to get his second Aussie, and I’m about 90% sure Medvedev will win, and I’m dreading watching it already. I miss that peace of mind that I had last year!!!
well at least you don't have expectations. :) Medvedev is the slight favorite but it should be very competitive and Rafa can totally win this.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I don't think Daniil's an artist, but he is seeming more and more like a malcontent. Should this be amusing rather than insulting because he didn't use the word he clearly wanted to? No mistaking his meaning, he's insulting the chair and it's bush league behavior yet again from a top player. It's not a good look.

The only way I consider him impressive is somehow coming out of this match seeming like the bigger asshole than the guy who was begging loudly to let his daddy coach him during his matches, gets told no and continues to get coached in not so subtle ways by his daddy on the sidelines anyway because it's a crutch he apparently can't let go of. I guess there is an art to besting that pitiful behavior.

Post by meganfernandez »

Post by meganfernandez »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:19 pm I don't think Daniil's an artist, but he is seeming more and more like a malcontent. Should this be amusing rather than insulting because he didn't use the word he clearly wanted to? No mistaking his meaning, he's insulting the chair and it's bush league behavior yet again from a top player. It's not a good look.

The only way I consider him impressive is somehow coming out of this match seeming like the bigger asshole than the guy who was begging loudly to let his daddy coach him during his matches, gets told no and continues to get coached in not so subtle ways by his daddy on the sidelines anyway because it's a crutch he apparently can't let go of. I guess there is an art to besting that pitiful behavior.
One person's asshole is another's artist. I'm digging it. He crosses the line sometimes, but when he's right up on it, I'm more entertained than offended. To each their own!
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Medvedev didn't take the bait when during his presser the journo said "Tsitsipas called you immature". Just said that he has no issues with Tsitsipas. Kind of shows who is the immature of the two.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 pm
JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:19 pm I don't think Daniil's an artist, but he is seeming more and more like a malcontent. Should this be amusing rather than insulting because he didn't use the word he clearly wanted to? No mistaking his meaning, he's insulting the chair and it's bush league behavior yet again from a top player. It's not a good look.

One person's asshole is another's artist. I'm digging it. He crosses the line sometimes, but when he's right up on it, I'm more entertained than offended. To each their own!
But unlike Shapo, with this outburst he made umpire actually do his job (which did not happen with Nadal time violations), which resulted in deserved warning for ST. Seems that even his outburst was more calculated.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I find nothing amusing about Medvedev's outburst. He call the chair a "pu**y" which is one step from calling him the "eff" word and this is cute? Amusing? No. Alexis Sr said it best.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein