'22 AO Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Suliso Latvia

Re: '22 AO Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Post by Suliso »

They have had some surprising defeats as well. Today could have been one of those days, but wasn't.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

OH crap!!! I thought it was a night match. I could have actually watched the match. But actually, I'm glad I didn't see it. Dang, I need to be more on top of things. :(

Kevin
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Med has about an even chance of beating Nadal, I would say...assuming he gets there, of course...I always thought the AO is well- suited to Nadal - medium paced, hot ..but he is never in top gear this early in the year..seems to have woken up early this year..I would like to see the AO move to October or November..it is simply too hot in Australia at this time ... Unbearable conditions for players, not fun to see good players wilt in the heat like my unwatered coleus..
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:18 am They have had some surprising defeats as well. Today could have been one of those days, but wasn't.
"Could have been" is entirely meaningless.
To my eye, there was no point where I thought Berrettini would win this match. No point even where I thought that Berrettini MIGHT win this match. Because of Nadal's history of determination, especially at Majors, along with his physical talent.
It was the same in his last match vs. Shapovalov - people were saying "Oh, it looks like Nadal is going to lose this match." But I never thought that - again, because of his history of determination, especially at Majors, along with his physical talent.

My point is that both of them (Nadal and Djokovic) have proven countless times that it's foolish to ever count them out.
And so I literally do not understand how tennis fans who have watched them both play for years can ever be surprised with what they accomplish. It's like people are assessing them the same way that they would assess a normal player in those situations.
For example, in the Shapovalov match a couple of nights ago, if Denis were playing Coric, or Dimitrov, or Berrettini, or even Tsitsipas, or almost any other player, I could completely understand people saying at various points in the match that it definitely looks like Denis will win this one - and be surprised if the other player came back to win. Because those players do not have a long track record of willing themselves through to victory. But Nadal and Djokovic certainly DO have that history. And every tennis fan has seen it countless times.
So how can people possibly be surprised when Nadal or Djokovic overcome every obstacle and win? I am never surprised when they pull these matches out. The only times I'm surprised is when they DON'T pull these matches out - because that is far more rare.

And so, again, I ask: How many times must these two players show what they are capable of for people to cease being surprised?

Medvedev is showing definite signs that he is capable of the same degree of overcoming obstacles and winning matches that it 'looks like' he'll lose (to the untrained eye). The difference I see with Medvedev is that he doesn't win these matches via a profound degree of determination so much as by his pure intelligence in being able to figure out what he needs to do to win, and adjusting his game accordingly.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

High quality match thus far..Medvedev-Tsip
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Medvedev going crazy at the umpire for not giving Tsitsipas a coaching code violation
Mary, queen of shots
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Nothing unusual or surprising thus far, after 3 pretty close sets (2-1 Medvedev).
Could go 4, could go 5...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Medvedev can possibly beat Nadal, Tsitsipas cannot..so am happy..not that I don't like Nadal, I just want the big 3 to all finish even, on 20..there is some poetic justice to that...although Nadal winning would certainly teach Djoko a lesson!
Last edited by ashkor87 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The two finalists I figured would be there - even when they were down in matches and most people were quite sure they'd lose.
It will be a very intriguing matchup in the final - the most match-intelligent player vs. the greatest and most determined competitor.
R.I.P. Amal...

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

The other one tomorrow will be pretty one-sided, I think..Collins is not in Barty's class as a player...
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

No... Barty is the better, more balanced player for sure - and she'll have a greater longevity at the top level (if she keeps playing - remember, she 'went away' once already) than Collins will.
But if Collins can maintain her composure and be relatively consistent in her play, she could put pressure on Barty that Barty has rarely felt.

The home crowd may work for or against Barty. They'll be cheering for her, of course - but whether Barty processes that as support (positive), or as pressure (negative) is to be determined during the match. This is her first Final in her home Aussie Open - so she may feel pressure.
R.I.P. Amal...

mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I'm wondering if Novak will give Meddy a call with the words of encouragement ))
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote:I don't understand how any tennis fan who has watched Nadal play for years could possibly be surprised by anything that he does.
Really.
I can say something similar about anyone who is surprised when Djokovic pulls a match out.

Love them or hate them, these two guys possess enormous resolve and will. To me, Nadal has more of it, while I view Djokovic as being more like Connors - his will to win is more rooted in a desperate desire for approval from others. But still - it propels him forward and over seemingly every obstacle he encounters on the court.
How many times must these two players show what they are capable of for people to cease being surprised???
I am never surprised by Nadal. Frankly over the years I have been surprised when the tennis world is so surprised when Nadal comes back from an injury and does well again. Of course he does. He’s one of the best champions ever and the best competitor ever. If he’s healthy, he’s the favorite (except vs Novak on hard).

I called Nadal to win the tournament… but honestly I think Medvedev is the favorite but Nadal’s will and determination might carry him through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is going to take two posts because of the limit on url's we have.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The Body Serve Tennis Podcast
@TheBodyServe

And THEN, Daniil goes into press and he's like, "GUYS, I've grown SO much over the last five years! I regret it so much. This really isn't me!" So, why did you do it, boo?

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein