Nadal in 4
20%
Nadal in 5
13%

Total votes: 15

Liamvalid Great Britain

Re: '22 AO Day 14. OoP and Discussion

Post by Liamvalid »

As a Nadal fan, that was possibly the most stressed I’ve ever been watching a match. Never been so happy to be proved wrong about how I thought it would pan out. Great speech from Medvedev, like him even more now
Mary, queen of shots
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I thought that was her, but was not sure (talking about Iga).
There is a moment in which you run out of adjectives. That is where we are for the big three.
And I can't avoid being an a****** but, I can't find the gif to caption:
"Meanwhile, somewhere in Belgrade..."
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:08 pm
Looks like Barty's eyes beside Iga...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I was also thinking that looked like Ash.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

TBH I didn't think he could do it. Covid. Surgery. Away for months. Heat exhaustion. And he was the last man standing. I will never apologize for being his fan ever since I first saw this kid sleeveless and in what used to be called pedal pushers. He was raised and it shows in his approach to his sport. Congratulations to him and his family.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He is paradoxical in the sense that you can't believe the things he does, and at the same time, nothing he does should surprise anybody.
I did not come to the forum this morning as I was watching the match. After he could not close the second, I felt that this was a farewell. Admittedly, Medvedev played a gorgeous first set, but he did not drop that much in the second, so I felt it was his.
I updated the GOAT debate table. By now, who knows how that ends.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

As a lifelong Federer fan, this is the first time I have genuinely rooted for Rafa. At first just because I picked him to win the tournament and wanted to be right. At the end, because the effort and heart and joy he showed are the essence of sports, as good as it gets.

I didn't think Federer would end up with the record, and I know if he can't have it, he'd want Rafa to have it. I'm happy for Rafa to have it. It's not a done deal, but I'll be happy if he keeps it forever.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:44 am Medvedev is like the sea pounding the cliffs, sooner or later they have to crumble
In this analogy, Nadal is Poseidon
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:02 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:44 am Medvedev is like the sea pounding the cliffs, sooner or later they have to crumble
In this analogy, Nadal is Poseidon
TA-DA!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Post by meganfernandez »

I thought Daniil's press conferences was beautiful and raw and heartbreaking. I couldn't possibly question how he feels or whether he's right or not. It doesn't even matter, it's real to him. I hope his feelings change. I hope this is just how he feels now.

If not, oh well, he has probably already achieved his dream, winning a Slam and likely going to No. 1 pretty soon.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I read the transcript, and I am in the opposite camp to you. As I said above, somebody has to explain to him the realities of being a top player, and then behaving like he does. During this tournament alone, he called the people at Rod Laver "low IQ" and in the final he said that the lives of the people booing him "were so sad". In a modern world, with such extensive press and media coverage, I wonder how many people were in Laver today that felt those comments were aimed at them. While I agree with you that he was very raw (he really filtered nothing) and he was very open, it seems to me that he has some sort of disconnection with the reality he is in.
He needs to talk to some of the elders, and I do not mean the Aussies or his fellow Russians. Start with Agassi, who did turn around his image. Or, for example, he needs somebody like Ferrero, guiding Alcaraz to being an enjoyable figure. He will never be a fave of mine (I believe I have never seen an uglier game than his) but he is not dumb, and he can be funny an endearing. But these two weeks, he was anything but. If it takes a loss like this to shake him a bit, good for him. But I don't think he is understanding the real scenario.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:I read the transcript, and I am in the opposite camp to you. As I said above, somebody has to explain to him the realities of being a top player, and then behaving like he does. During this tournament alone, he called the people at Rod Laver "low IQ" and in the final he said that the lives of the people booing him "were so sad". In a modern world, with such extensive press and media coverage, I wonder how many people were in Laver today that felt those comments were aimed at them. While I agree with you that he was very raw (he really filtered nothing) and he was very open, it seems to me that he has some sort of disconnection with the reality he is in.
He needs to talk to some of the elders, and I do not mean the Aussies or his fellow Russians. Start with Agassi, who did turn around his image. Or, for example, he needs somebody like Ferrero, guiding Alcaraz to being an enjoyable figure. He will never be a fave of mine (I believe I have never seen an uglier game than his) but he is not dumb, and he can be funny an endearing. But these two weeks, he was anything but. If it takes a loss like this to shake him a bit, good for him. But I don't think he is understanding the real scenario.
None of that makes it any less sad and also well-told on his part. Whether he deserved it or not is irrelevant to me in observing the human element. He wasn’t that bad to them and I don’t really think they were bad to him, but it’s just beside the point right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I was so disgusted by the crowd, I quit watching after the third set..if this is going to be as popularity contest, why hold the tournament at all?! Just do a poll and declare the winner..this time, I thought the trophy should have been presented to the people who screamed out just as Medvedev was about to hit the ball