20%
Nadal in 5
13%

Total votes: 15

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 AO Day 14. OoP and Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

Isn't that part of the game? One of the things that made the old format Davis Cup so appealing was going to another country and knowing that, except for 10 people in the stands, the entire stadium was against you. It is intrinsic in sports, as yesterday we saw that the crowd at Arrowhead stadium was not able to push the Chiefs back into another SB (NFL reference).
It is part of this being an individual sport. You have to deal with so many factors, and the crowd is one of them. Connors, a real "bad boy" of the past, used it many times for his advantage at the USO.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:39 pm Isn't that part of the game? One of the things that made the old format Davis Cup so appealing was going to another country and knowing that, except for 10 people in the stands, the entire stadium was against you. It is intrinsic in sports, as yesterday we saw that the crowd at Arrowhead stadium was not able to push the Chiefs back into another SB (NFL reference).
It is part of this being an individual sport. You have to deal with so many factors, and the crowd is one of them. Connors, a real "bad boy" of the past, used it many times for his advantage at the USO.
Yeah, it's unfortunate but hostile crowds are part of sports. He handled them so well in NY. Wonder why they didn't kill his inner child with a dream. I really hope it was just a low point and not an enduring feeling. Surely some crowd will restore his faith pretty soon. He should work on building his image in France so he can try to be a crowd favorite there. I know he's not yet great on clay but he probably will make some inroads.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Aren't Australian fans known to be one step below the hooligans that infect English soccer fandoms? Also, with everything that happened before the tournament started people who may never have paid attention to the Australian Open were now invested and paid attention to all of the negative things Medvedev said about them. It was never going to be a love in for him in the Final.

I think that players like him, Tsitsipas, and Zverev have lived lives where no one has ever told them no, and are now realizing that outside of their families no one is going to grovel at their feet just because they've arrived. As someone else said here, they're not very likable.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I looked at the comments section for Youtube video with Medvedev's interview. The amount of support he is getting is enormous.

Note: there is a wast difference between "not groveling at their feet" and behaving in a civilized manner - not shouting between serves, not cheering DFs, even when rooting for an opponent.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:47 pm ...

I think that players like him, Tsitsipas, and Zverev have lived lives where no one has ever told them no, and are now realizing that outside of their families no one is going to grovel at their feet just because they've arrived. As someone else said here, they're not very likable.
And I am so tempted to close this topic RIGHT NOW. Nothing more to say (from me, anyway)
Bullseye.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem