Russian Invasion of Ukraine

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

P2/L

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:41 pm Ok, will see if I can just not accidentally click on it. Don't see it being a problem, but if it is...well I'll just disappear for a bit. I enjoy our off topic discussions and I understand why discussing the war is important... but I'm not coming to this tennis board to view graphic content. That's over the line for me. Seeing the pictures doesn't make me understand what's going on any better, it just is upsetting (for me.)
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:29 pm I think we can just do with links with a trigger warning, no. If people choose to view, they can. I don't think we need to post the pictures on TAT. I've seen enough of these in the last month and a half to say no one outside of Russia or those who can affect this situation *needs* to see these. (NVM - saw there is a thread)
I will delete the topic, as it seems it is beyond the scope of what we share and what the forum wants.
My apologies if somebody saw images that they found unbecoming.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

War is hell. As I said earlier there were similar pictures coming out of Syria and other war zones.

That said it hurt and upset me to even have to look at the pictures long enough to post them but I think they did need to be seen so that when people start talking about massacres and genocide at least we here will have a point of reference. The folks who think this stuff is being made up should be made to see the pictures as well. If we all tell our friends and relatives how awful this invasion is and say there are pictures to prove it maybe some of them will wake up. I don't know. Maybe they'll think they're fakes.

Any way I think Ponchi made the right decision and told him so privately.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Although that's a fair point... I don't think anyone here thinks this was made up? And if I was to trying to show pictures like these to someone to convince them this was real... I wouldn't be showing them pictures from a tennis forum. ;)
:steven:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:06 pm Although that's a fair point... I don't think anyone here thinks this was made up? And if I was to trying to show pictures like these to someone to convince them this was real... I wouldn't be showing them pictures from a tennis forum. ;)
Of course you wouldn't. You'd use the Twitter posts or don't you have an account there? Like they say never assume. :)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:32 pm No way to "ignore/block" a topic though is there?
Seeing you mention this, I think an 'Ignore Topic' function would be a very useful and practical tool, as this way, one could subscribe to a Forum and be able to get notifications of new posts/new topics created, but also ignore certain particular topics. Quite practical, it would be...

I just searched the phpBB board (where I've found a few useful tools previously)... Unfortunately, I couldn't find this particular 'Ignore Topic' function.
I did find A LOT of people asking for it, though. People have been asking for it for over 10 years... That alone should be a sign that it would be a valuable addition.
Hopefully someone will create it soon.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It has got to be like, totally awesome, to be born without a soul or scruples. So advantageous.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Some before and after photos of buildings, shopping centres, etc. in Ukraine...
Though not graphic, this still helps to provide a sobering perspective on the situation.
The photos are of buildings, cars, etc. - and are obviously tragic, as we know people were killed even if we don't see their dead bodies...

Photos of Before and After the Russian Invasion of Ukraine...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

If you're interested in the latest on the battle field and who is controlling what I suggest this live map: https://liveuamap.com/

I used them during the height of Syrian conflict and they seem to be fairly reliable.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

BTW.
He has not posted, but Mick has been active in the forum. He logged in yesterday 7th.
Obviously, he has more important matters to tend to. If you want to keep track, go to MEMBERS (bottom) and look him up.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:BTW.
He has not posted, but Mick has been active in the forum. He logged in yesterday 7th.
Obviously, he has more important matters to tend to. If you want to keep track, go to MEMBERS (bottom) and look him up.
Thanks. Nice to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I'm still OK. Do not post about tennis. You are correct - there is a lot of other things on my mind. My city of Kharkov continues getting destroyed by Russian artillery. Neighbors told that already some windows are shattered in my apartment there. There was a shell getting in our building couple of days ago, two apartments are obliterated completely. Luckily no casualties, the majority of inhabitants are already left.