Russian Invasion of Ukraine

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by ponchi101 »

So, how much longer before the NATO and allies take Russia OUT of SWIFT? Because it is obvious that this war now has crossed any line of "decency".
(And I know it was indecent, uncalled for and immoral from the start, but I just don't have the words).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

They would have long ago if it wasn't needed to pay for the gas.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

This will be over, eventually. With many lives and places destroyed.
What remains after war are the values of a culture. I hope Ukrainians will be stronger after this atrocity.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:13 am This will be over, eventually. With many lives and places destroyed.
What remains after war are the values of a culture. I hope Ukrainians will be stronger after this atrocity.
The history of Ukraine is the history of atrocities in Eastern Europe, so I don't know that the current atrocity can strengthen the Ukrainian people. What it has done is strengthen, and unify the country of Ukraine, and that will have a long lasting impact on the situation in that region, and in particular, it will impact the sphere of influence of Russia for decades to come.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

There has been a major breach of Russian defensive lines in Kharkov area. Rumors of advances as deep as 40 km. Hundreds of war prisoners taken. All that in addition to the ongoing assault in Kherson area. Whoever is directing this in the Ukrainian high command is really good. I'd post some maps, but right now they can't keep up with events on the ground.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

One could maybe post a map of Kherson area. Also a bit outdated, but things proceed slowly here. Russians moved some of their best troops to defend the city. However, one doesn't need to have any military training to assess that any troops on the northern bank of the wide Dnipro river are in deep trouble. All bridges are destroyed and Ukraine has a full fire control of any temporary crossings (via long range rocket artillery) thus severely hampering supplies.

Last edited by Suliso on Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Russia is already threatening Europe with cutting down gas supplies, prior to winter. Now is when we will see how committed to the defense of Ukraine Europe is. Last week's protests in Prague were about suspending the sanctions on Russia, because it was costing the Czecks too much.
I read they were clearly orchestrated, but still.
But your post is "good news". In quotes because nothing out of this war will be good news until it is over.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:56 pm Russia is already threatening Europe with cutting down gas supplies, prior to winter. Now is when we will see how committed to the defense of Ukraine Europe is. Last week's protests in Prague were about suspending the sanctions on Russia, because it was costing the Czecks too much.
I read they were clearly orchestrated, but still.
But your post is "good news". In quotes because nothing out of this war will be good news until it is over.
Not sure about that either, but remember that as far as weapons are concerned it's 70-80% USA. They won't stop sending them no matter what.

I think Ukraine has a good shot now. Of course strictly 1:1 Russia is a stronger country, but this is a proxy war due to massive Western military help. Winners of long conflicts are usually determined by the following factors - available manpower, size of economy, technological sophistication, morale, commitment of leadership and location of the conflict. Russia has an advantage in manpower and possibly in long term commitment (vs West not vs Ukraine). All other indicators are heavily in Ukrainian favor. NATO and USA could easily outspend Russia and not even notice (GDP ratio ca 22:1).
Last edited by Suliso on Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Also I'm continuously amazed how weak the Russian army has turned out to be and how little they can do against modern Western equipment. Not just equipment junk, but also training atrocious.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have a friend that was stationed in Russia. USA State Department. She always wondered what were the USA afraid of (other than nukes).
And when I was in Uzbekistan/Kirghizstan, I always felt that Russian manufacturing was shoddy, at best.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

This is the Ukrainian breakthrough in Kharkiv front. Kupiansk is the next major short term goal, the one already accomplished is Balaklia.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Probably something none of you here have thought about. Most of the men from those puppet republics (Luhansk and Donetsk) will be killed in action. They have no value for the Russian leadership.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »