Russian Invasion of Ukraine

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by ponchi101 »

I thanked you, Skating, although that is one sad article.
Nobody can forget that Putin IS a product of the USSR. And I have said it here: his sole dream is to revive that entity. Ukraine was needed as a pad to later on "capture" the rest of Eastern Europe.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I'd say the deeper reason for this war is that Russia (not just Putin!) has never accepted that Ukraine (and Belarus) is a real country and a real nation. In their minds they are merely rebelious Russians speaking a weirdo dialect.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

What can Ukraine/NATO/The West do if Russia uses a small nuke? What would be the appropriate response?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:07 pm What can Ukraine/NATO/The West do if Russia uses a small nuke? What would be the appropriate response?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

What an unfortunate Twitter handle for someone involved in a serious discussion.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:24 pm
I went looking for this post. It was made on October 23. I don't see any deleted Tweets from his account. I didn't want to delete the Tweet because one of us responded to it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Problem is: if we make the "process" of war cheaper, will that lead to more of it? Will we have young kids, trained after an entire generation of video games, waging war from the comfort of home? No longer just a video game, but real time fed battlefield encounters?
And I do have witnesses that I said this would happen, at least 15 years ago. The combination of video abilities and distance (nothing braver than a man out of range) will make it easier to press a button and blow somebody else up.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Some hacker is going to figure out how to hijack these drones.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

But that only makes it more warfare; you will have the actual war, things shooting and blowing up other things, and the hackers vs the hackers.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:14 pm Problem is: if we make the "process" of war cheaper, will that lead to more of it?
^ Yes.
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:14 pm Will we have young kids, trained after an entire generation of video games, waging war from the comfort of home?
^ Yes.
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:14 pm No longer just a video game, but real time fed battlefield encounters?
^ Yes.
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:14 pm And I do have witnesses that I said this would happen, at least 15 years ago.
^ I said the same thing.
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:14 pm The combination of video abilities and distance (nothing braver than a man out of range) will make it easier to press a button and blow somebody else up.
^ Yes.

Sigh... :(
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Russians are finally abandoning the right bank of Dniepr river including Kherson city. Their military position has been nearly hopeless there for 3-4 months.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Of course, I was one of the people that thought that by now, Russia would be in Warsaw, negotiating the terms of the annexation. How completely wrong.
But apart from that, this has got to be the most disastrous invasion in all of history. I was also reading that Russia has lost almost half of all its aircrafts, and simply does not have the capacity to replace them as fast as needed (I gather they will be replaced, eventually). An elite squadron was virtually wiped out. Information like this keeps coming in.
I don't know if this news is just biased as they are reported by Western Press, but it seems that Russia simply has an army that was nothing more than a paper tiger.
Which is good, of course, but unexpected. At least to me.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

A paper tiger, poorly trained and heavily dependent on Western imports too.

In retrospect if Russia were to win they had to do in the first 1-2 months. In a prolonged conflict with the global West they'll be outspent easily. More and more advanced weapons are likely to flow in and Russia can't match the technology. Only things still going for them is quantity of artillery and greater human resources.