Russian Invasion of Ukraine

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by ponchi101 »

This will have consequences well beyond the war:
Europe’s Russian Oil Ban Could Mean a New World Order for Energy

This can mean a barrel at $140, and world inflation around the world approaching 10%. Coupled with the energy companies refusing flatly to find other, local sources, this will be the moment that, if renewable and alternative energy sources can't make it ECONOMICALLY, they never will.

From my side: the exploration industry is dead, and I mean really dead. There is not one single exploration project in S. America. Which is not able to sustain itself.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:08 pm This will have consequences well beyond the war:
Europe’s Russian Oil Ban Could Mean a New World Order for Energy

This can mean a barrel at $140, and world inflation around the world approaching 10%. Coupled with the energy companies refusing flatly to find other, local sources, this will be the moment that, if renewable and alternative energy sources can't make it ECONOMICALLY, they never will.

From my side: the exploration industry is dead, and I mean really dead. There is not one single exploration project in S. America. Which is not able to sustain itself.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's interesting - and somewhat alarming - that this topic isn't getting attention anymore, with barely any posts...
The invasion is still ongoing - today is actually day 100... but it's not the top story in the news anymore (thanks to the gun-happy USA).

Like COVID-19 - which is still very much alive, by the way -, the Russian invasion of Ukraine is being pushed aside as people pretend both things are finished.
The dwindling attention given to these two subjects was predictable... but it's still disturbing that people can ignore important things so easily...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The problem for the EU and the nearby states is how to ensure that once this man leaves power, either soon and due to the war, or later, due to natural causes, Russia can become a stable state that can live along with its borders.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I'm puzzled why Western media still insist Putin is a master strategist and has a great plan how to win. Facts on the ground don't seem corroborate...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:31 am I'm puzzled why Western media still insist Putin is a master strategist and has a great plan how to win. Facts on the ground don't seem corroborate...
Because of everything he has gotten away with in the past:
Invasion of Crimea? Went his way.
Killing political enemies ABROAD? Nothing has happened to him, and has paid no consequences.
Olympic cheating? Russia remains in competition, and the silly punishment of not playing their anthem and competing under a different name is ridiculous, and Putin laughs at it.
Bought a F1 grand prix, and it was doing well.
Got to stage his FIFA World Cup.
Tampered with the US election, got his choice to win, and nothing has been done to him.

This invasion is the actual exception to his pattern. He has been very successful in doing all the criminal things he has felt like, with no consequences and clear victories. So now, it is hard to change the tune and see that here, he is failing.
I think he did not expect this resolve from the West (who did?). That was his mis-calculation. And, although it is clear that this has gone completely off plan, I am reading that Russia now controls 20% of Ukrainian soil. He will bankrupt Russia and leave Ukraine in a terrible condition, but may win. The most pyrrhic, worthless victory in history, but a win.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:26 pm
Suliso wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:31 am I'm puzzled why Western media still insist Putin is a master strategist and has a great plan how to win. Facts on the ground don't seem corroborate...
Because of everything he has gotten away with in the past:
Invasion of Crimea? Went his way.
Killing political enemies ABROAD? Nothing has happened to him, and has paid no consequences.
Olympic cheating? Russia remains in competition, and the silly punishment of not playing their anthem and competing under a different name is ridiculous, and Putin laughs at it.
Bought a F1 grand prix, and it was doing well.
Got to stage his FIFA World Cup.
Tampered with the US election, got his choice to win, and nothing has been done to him.

This invasion is the actual exception to his pattern. He has been very successful in doing all the criminal things he has felt like, with no consequences and clear victories. So now, it is hard to change the tune and see that here, he is failing.
I think he did not expect this resolve from the West (who did?). That was his mis-calculation. And, although it is clear that this has gone completely off plan, I am reading that Russia now controls 20% of Ukrainian soil. He will bankrupt Russia and leave Ukraine in a terrible condition, but may win. The most pyrrhic, worthless victory in history, but a win.
I highlighted that part because this is the difference and Western/US intelligence has continued to be a step ahead.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am as guilty about that as anybody (not that my pedestrian opinion matters one ant's fart in this world). I said that the only limitation for Russia to annex Kyiv would be the speed of its tanks. I thought that within a week, Kyiv would be called "Putingrad". Needless to say, I was completely wrong, but my error was in believing that the EU and NATO as a whole would do their cowardly lion charade. I truly did not believe that Europe would respond that way.
Plus, of course, Ukrainians have shown tremendous bravery. This may be the stuff movies and books and stories will be told for decades to come.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Suliso wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:46 pm Maps with the current situation on the major fronts from a guy I follow on TW (has good reputation of accuracy)

First map is of Kharkiv area (NE) where Ukrainians are currently on a counterattack

The second is of Donbas theatre where Russians are concentrating their heaviest attack

Relatively quiet on the Southern front

Also not so much in Odesa direction. Likely neither country has enough army in the area to break through right now.

Overall tactical assessment is that Russia will need to move extra units to Kharkiv front to prevent Ukrainians threatening supply lines to Donbas.

Suliso,

Do you have any current maps?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

The guy I'm following on TW for this is not doing it as regularly as he used to, but here is the latest (dated June 11th)

In general Russians are slowly moving forward in Severodonetsk area. Limited Ukrainian counterattack in Kherson area. Otherwise nothing much happens other than attritional warfare with artillery. That's including the situation since there maps were published.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »