Russian Invasion of Ukraine

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by ponchi101 »

I wonder why they think that saying it was a fire that reached its munition depot on board makes them look better than "The Ukrainians sunk the ship".
I mean, what kind of safety system do you have on board a ship that allows it to blow itself up?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

How are things with you now, Mick?
Any better?
Any worse?
We'd like to know.
Hang in there.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:35 am I wonder why they think that saying it was a fire that reached its munition depot on board makes them look better than "The Ukrainians sunk the ship".
I mean, what kind of safety system do you have on board a ship that allows it to blow itself up?
I don't see that either. Incidentally I happened to read a longer TW thread about the history of Soviet/Russian navy. Over the centuries it has been the weakest part of their military. Last successes were during Russian-Turkish wars in the 19th century. Their navy played no meaningful role in WWI and WWII. Was wiped out by Japanese in 1905 at the battle of Tsukushima.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

So, it's here now, a draft law that can be used to persecute people AND THEIR RELATIVES, as well as organizations/companies, for being "under foreign influence." Before, a legislation was in place in that sense for those with foreign financing but this draft law has a loose/subjective interpretation.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I was never his fan as a tennis player, but I did like him as a person (petulant tantrums on court not being considered). But spot on from Roddick. Sometimes political commentary is truly inane.
On that sort.
Vova is demanding from the USA to stop sending weapons to Ukraine because it will prolong the war and make it difficult to start peace negotiations. The equivalent of mugging a person and when the police shows up, you tell them to go away so you and that person can talk.
Sometimes you really have to wonder about how low can people go when it comes to insanity.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No, it doesn't. The price of oil and gas has gone up due to the war, so the already huge resources Russia has already within its border have already become very valuable.
Russia could have easily done a deal with Ukraine to develop that field together. The profits would have been very nice. Instead, they now have a whole mess in their hands.
People have to stop thinking that oil is still a major driver of foreign policy. It wasn't during any of the two gulf wars, it ain't now.
And, for those that think that the USA invaded Iraq because of the oil. DIck Cheney and all the other evil guys there never even blinked when cutting a deal with despots or dictators. It would have been so much easier to make a deal with Saddam than get into that mess. Sure, you can claim they were and are evil, but don't claim they were that stupid. The same goes for Vova now.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Russia has suspended deliveries of gas to Poland and Bulgaria. Two smaller economies, but a sign for Germany to heed.
Winter is gone so nobody will die of cold. But this a new level of war. And, if anybody is listening (I mean governments) a clear demonstration that Russia sees its O&G industry as a political weapon.
As if anybody (with a brain) thought something else.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Deuce wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:17 pm How are things with you now, Mick?
Any better?
Any worse?
We'd like to know.
Hang in there.
Hi, people. Thnks for asking. On the personal level there is not much changes. I'm able to work remotely for my employer, but not getting 100% of salary, because out of 160 people in our company only 10 are able to work (many projects were closed/suspended). And the company wants to pay everyone at least some money. It is actually commendable on their part (our owners), because during the martial law all the legislation in the job area is suspended and they are not obliged to pay. With the price of the apartment rent and food prices raising, I'm only managing to keep up - spending everything I'm making.
From the reports of remaining neighbors at home it seems that the shelling of our particular district in Kharkov lately is somewhat lowered. There were no close hits in the last couple of weeks. So my apartment building there didn't suffer additional damage.

But switching to broader picture - it is troublesome, as you all know, if you are reading the news. The talks about possible nuclear weapon threat..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mick1303 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:32 pm ...

Hi, people. Thnks for asking. On the personal level there is not much changes. I'm able to work remotely for my employer, but not getting 100% of salary, because out of 160 people in our company only 10 are able to work (many projects were closed/suspended). And the company wants to pay everyone at least some money. It is actually commendable on their part (our owners), because during the martial law all the legislation in the job area is suspended and they are not obliged to pay. With the price of the apartment rent and food prices raising, I'm only managing to keep up - spending everything I'm making.
From the reports of remaining neighbors at home it seems that the shelling of our particular district in Kharkov lately is somewhat lowered. There were no close hits in the last couple of weeks. So my apartment building there didn't suffer additional damage.

But switching to broader picture - it is troublesome, as you all know, if you are reading the news. The talks about possible nuclear weapon threat..
Thanks for posting, Mick. Good to hear that you are "Ok" (big quotes on that one).
The talk about possible nuclear threat is the talk of madmen. One can't even wonder how Ukraine and/or NATO would respond to that, but I gather than anything short of complete cut of relations with Russia would be pointless.
Let's hope it is just a bluff.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Did you read about the Ukrainian artilery attack on Russian army field headquarters at a time of a high command meeting killing at least one general? Either Ukraine or one of the Western allies must be having a mole at the highest levels of Russian military. They seem to know in real time where senior officers are located...