Russian Invasion of Ukraine

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by ti-amie »

This seems to be true. It's been around since last night and nothing about it has been challenged.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

So, Russia can invade Ukraine but Ukrainians cannot engage on Russian soil?
It is called war, last time I checked.
---0---
About Merkel. I don't think she was planning on enabling, but did not think it over and was trying to be Chamberlain and appease him. Which she was, and it did not.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Take a hint from Salt Bae when reading this.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

How does he know claim "victory"?
"Oh, I won the fight!"
"How?"
"I broke his knuckles, repeatedly. With my nose and my face. And he ended it covered in blood. MY BLOOD. I won".

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

There are horrific pictures being posted online of the massacres that took place in the city of Bucha in Ukraine. We saw the same kinds of pictures from Syria.

No worry. I will not post them here.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

But everyone can freely find on Twitter... And rightly so as this should not be forgotten!

Besides all the atrocities the other news is that Russians have for now left Northern and Northeastern Ukraine. All the border with Belarus including Chernobyl area again under Ukrainian control. Serious ground fighting ongoing in Kharkiv area and in the far south.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

As I am not in twitter, I will not look these images up.
I am ambivalent on whether to open a topic, WITH A STRONG WARNING, to post such pictures. While we know that the people here at TAT2.0 are intellectually sophisticated and we do not need pictures to understand the gravity of these situation, at the same time we also understand that a historical account of the events can be helpful, and such graphical evidence is unequivocally needed at times to grasp what has happened.
If as little as one person believes such a separate topic can be of help, I will open it, LIMITED TO MEMBERS. Again, a strong warning will be added.
I will also understand if such a topic will not be welcomed, at the time. We come to TAT2.0 to enjoy our time together. We all have enough worries already to come here and find something more to fret about.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

As long as there is a warning I don't see a problem Ponch. Some are really bad and are being posted on Twitter often with no warning.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I certainly see no need for the pictures themselves and won't be viewing that topic... but just listen to any discussion about what is happening here.
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

How much to show visually is an interesting subject...
On the one hand, of course, many images are extremely disturbing, and will cause distress.
On the other hand, they are real. This is the current reality on certain parts of the planet which we all share. And reality, no matter how horrible or distressing or uncomfortable, is always enlightening and educational.
Will seeing the photos bring anything positive, apart from educating people as to what is truly happening? I suppose it could possibly prompt some people to donate money or materials to the victims...

There is also, of course, in this day and age of manipulation and deceit combined with technology, the unfortunate possibility that some photos and even videos are not real.

All that said, I see no need to post graphic photos of war, etc. on a message board whose main topic is tennis. We know where to find the graphic photos if one so desires. Sometimes we even see them without seeking them out - as occurred yesterday when I suddenly saw on my TV the dead bodies strewn randomly on the streets and sidewalks of Ukraine... and wondered once again why the human animal is so profoundly defective.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I explained why I would accept such a topic.
The topic is clearly marked and a warning is clearly stated.
I understand that many people will not want to see those pictures. But, if some people do, they will be there.
If you are subscribed to the topic, YOU WILL GET NOTIFICATIONS. If that was by mistake, you can unsubscribe by going to the TOPIC TOOLS menu (the little wrench at the bottom of every topic) and click UNSUBSCRIBE. You will no longer be notified of any new posts.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

No way to "ignore/block" a topic though is there?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No. There is no function to ignore a topic/forum other than ignoring it physically (i.e. don't go there).
I know that the GRAPHIC topic is not pleasant but I trust Ti's ability to curate it properly. The images certainly are not suitable for all, but after seeing them I believe this is a needed record. For example, I am not a member of any social media and I do not search for this sort of news so I would not be able to find these images, but what the Russian Army(1) has done is indeed a war crime. I believe that the understanding that this makes their leaders, all the way to the top, war criminals, has got to be expressed at multiple levels, this forum being one of them.
Off Topic
(1) Time to start separating the RUSSIAN ARMY and the RUSSIAN LEADERS from the RUSSIAN PEOPLE. Plenty of Russians have expressed their opposition to this war/invasion.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Ok, will see if I can just not accidentally click on it. Don't see it being a problem, but if it is...well I'll just disappear for a bit. I enjoy our off topic discussions and I understand why discussing the war is important... but I'm not coming to this tennis board to view graphic content. That's over the line for me. Seeing the pictures doesn't make me understand what's going on any better, it just is upsetting (for me.)
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

I think we can just do with links with a trigger warning, no. If people choose to view, they can. I don't think we need to post the pictures on TAT. I've seen enough of these in the last month and a half to say no one outside of Russia or those who can affect this situation *needs* to see these. (NVM - saw there is a thread)