C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
JazzNU United States of America

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:07 am Oh, that's right. Also, there are now 4 infected flights. And Ons Jabeur just replied to me on Twitter. :) This is probably a good time to talk to a favorite player on social media, if they are quarantined. Nothing else to do. Ons is up right now!
Great that you heard from Ons.

Were you told how the room assignments work? Like everyone gets a regular room on us, but if you want to upgrade to a suite, you have to pay extra and we'll make it happen or something like that? Seeded players with better rooms?

What do you mean there are 4 affected flights?!? Yikes! So how many players are affected now? This is really becoming a mess.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:14 am
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:07 am Oh, that's right. Also, there are now 4 infected flights. And Ons Jabeur just replied to me on Twitter. :) This is probably a good time to talk to a favorite player on social media, if they are quarantined. Nothing else to do. Ons is up right now!
Great that you heard from Ons.

Were you told how the room assignments work? Like everyone gets a regular room on us, but if you want to upgrade to a suite, you have to pay extra and we'll make it happen or something like that? Seeded players with better rooms?

What do you mean there are 4 affected flights?!? Yikes! So how many players are affected now? This is really becoming a mess.
I'm afraid I don't know how room assignments work, but ranking might be a good guess - at least as a starting point for options to upgrade, if there was one. Ons should be able to afford an upgrade and she appears to be in a standard room (the door was open to a connecting room). Go on Twitter and ask Ons how it worked! :)

Sven Groenfeld said there are now 4 infected flights, yes. I didn't see an updated of affected players, but will keep an eye out. [edit - I wonder if he misspoke and it's really just 4 people on the previously reported flights. That's what I'm finding. The fourth is someone working in broadcast.]
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I'm kind of overwhelmed by just how many of them don't get it, or don't care. It's really really disappointing. Kuzzie posting that video is just insane. And the picture of Novak unmasked in a shuttle bus, sitting right behind the driver, is just pathetic. Artem Sitak seems to be one of the few who does get it. Yaaaay, someone I can root for. He may end up being the only one. :(

I was looking forward to seeing some Grand Slam tennis, but the behavior described by this thread has kind of put a damper on that. Sigh. :(

Kevin
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:55 am
Deuce wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:36 am ^ This is disappointing - if not very surprising. At best, this behaviour is careless. At worst, it is incredibly irresponsible and selfish.
This seems to be a prime example of the privilege and feeling of invincibility that so often afflicts 'rich and famous' people... sigh...

After being told every single day for 10 months exactly what we should and should not be doing, it is absolutely astounding that anyone would think that it's perfectly fine to do what one normally did in foreign countries before the virus - go sightseeing, go to museums, visit restaurants, explore the cities...
Most of the things I mentioned were on IG Stories, so can't be posted and they also disappear after 24 hours. But she did post one of the restaurant visits on her regular page. It's the one that made me cringe the most of what she posted. That guy is just so close to her and neither is wearing a mask and you'd have to assume he's doing this at many tables a night. Just seems careless even if it's allowed there. Who knows where the coach caught it, but things like this don't inspire confidence that the best and safest decisions were being made over the last 3 weeks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJTueEcgJoJ/
There was a lot of surprise when this was posted. I think he's a celebrity chef in his part of the world but with C19 having its way with all of us both he and Bianca are wrong here.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:04 pm
There was a lot of surprise when this was posted. I think he's a celebrity chef in his part of the world but with C19 having its way with all of us both he and Bianca are wrong here.
It's the famous and ridiculous Salt Bae

They seem to be as irresponsible as a majority of people, sadly. Of course, they have more to lose at the moment than even just getting a life-threatening disease.

Post by JazzNU »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:05 am It's the famous and ridiculous Salt Bae
Thanks for the name. Because of that I'm realizing he's the guy from the famous gif

shtexas United States of America

Post by shtexas »

Has anyone mentioned Pablo Cuevas's cute little quarantine videos from his hotel room? Surf day, spa day, office day.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

shtexas wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:29 am Has anyone mentioned Pablo Cuevas's cute little quarantine videos from his hotel room? Surf day, spa day, office day.
I saw this one that I assume is Spa Day. :D

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have seen a couple from the players. Almost all of them have lifted a mattress against a wall and are hitting out against it. The amazing thing is that, in such a small space, they get full control of the ball and racquet.
The players are working hard in their rooms. They may not be totally out of shape by the time the Open starts.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Those mattresses will be, though
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Between the mattresses and the exercise they are doing in the rooms, I think the hotel will suffer a loss. You know they are basically tearing the rooms apart, just to be able to stay in shape.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:19 pm I have seen a couple from the players. Almost all of them have lifted a mattress against a wall and are hitting out against it. The amazing thing is that, in such a small space, they get full control of the ball and racquet.
The players are working hard in their rooms. They may not be totally out of shape by the time the Open starts.
Yeah, I actually think they'll be fine. Not 100% but not out of shape enough to change their chances dramatically, unless it affects their confidence. They'll have a week of practice and then some of them will play their way into better shape. But what do I know, I'm not an elite athlete.

Post by meganfernandez »

This is why I said, in one of these threads, that I'm losing sympathy for people who contract Covid when they have the means to take all precautions. This might not be true, but if it is, WTF?

Post by JazzNU »

I mean, if he's being reckless, sure. But is he being reckless here? The announcement about him testing positive was a week ago now. But that was the announcement, not necessarily when he actually tested positive. If he's testing negative and it's been 10 days since he tested negative, then this really isn't an issue.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And Andy is not the "casually stupid" type. He has proven that through his career. Maybe he is over the threshold.