C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by Deuce »

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

See bencic quote
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes - but you've speculated that about several players who've lost this week. It's always because they had COVID.
I'm simply saying that it's not always because they had COVID. Maybe sometimes it is. But there is certainly enough evidence to prove that players can recover completely and quickly.

Also - Bencic was in that match the entire way - all three sets - against one of the best players in the world. It was a close match. Was her having COVID a few weeks ago the difference? No-one can know - including Bencic herself. I, personally tend to doubt it - because it was a very even match.
Maybe players simply lose because they didn't play as well as their opponent on that day...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Statement from the Australian government regarding Mr. Novak Djokovic...

https://minister.homeaffairs.gov.au/AlexHawke/Pages/statement-regarding-mr-novak-djokovic.aspx

Meanwhile...

Bernie Gets a Free Dinner From Umpire...

R.I.P. Amal...

mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Re: Tomic, I don't understand why the match wasn't immediately stopped and he wasn't isolated, whether he had COVID or not, he complained of the symptoms.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:15 pm Re: Tomic, I don't understand why the match wasn't immediately stopped and he wasn't isolated, whether he had COVID or not, he complained of the symptoms.
Good point.
I didn't see the match, so I don't know what exactly happened.
Maybe Bernie's reputation had something to do with it? As in people not believing him...

But, yes - one would think - or hope - that these days, when someone is ill with symptoms resembling COVID-19, caution would be the course taken.
Especially when the player himself is saying that he thinks he's COVID positive.
R.I.P. Amal...

the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

the Moz wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:11 pm For sure. Novax will compete at the AO and will see no sanctioning of any kind from Australian, Spanish or Serbian authorities.
Please prove me wrong :thumbsup:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
FEBravo

Post by FEBravo »

I watched the hearing, and in it the Djoko's lawyer said that the argument for canceling his visa is that remaining would stir anti-vax sentiment, and that it was not based on any public health risk or anything else. Obviously he is paid a lot of money to make the best possible argument, but I could not find anywhere the actual reasons for the cancelation. Is this not public? All I can find is the statement of the Minister, not the reasons which were provided to Djokovic (and his lawyers).

As his legal avenues are limited, he seems to be going to argue that the decision is so non-sensical ("patently irrational" is the word used at the hearing), that the decision cannot stand, as deporting him would also raise "anti-vax sentiment". I assume this time they were careful to dot all their "I" and cross all their "Ts", so there is probably not any procedural flaw, and therefore this is the best they can come up with.

I would be curious though if the reasons do state other issues like his blatant disregard of COVID rules and protocol in Serbia, his false/mistaken declaration, in addition to the fact that he is not vaccinated to cancel the visa. So if anyone sees it, please share!

EDIT: This was a procedural hearing to set the timeline, etc., so these issues were not argued and hence why it is unclear, the lawyer simply gave that preview. The full hearing should be on Sunday.

EDIT2: Government agreed they could have hearing on Sunday, but case will now be transferred so new judge would decide on timetable. I can't imagine they won't have it on Sunday, especially as they also agreed it would be short, as they would be no witnesses etc, and the arguments limited. So my guess is it will go on on Sunday, or a judge may dismiss it before then after reading the submissions. Djoko's lawyers agreed to submit everything by tomorrow midday, and government said they could respond late that evening if necessary. I do think they delayed to shorten the time as well, but would be a bad look for everyone if tournament had to remove him and for him to then win. In everyone's interest to get this resolved before Monday.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:15 pm Re: Tomic, I don't understand why the match wasn't immediately stopped and he wasn't isolated, whether he had COVID or not, he complained of the symptoms.
Very good point, and in fact he should have insisted. He should have reported his symptoms. And the tour managers should ask players if they are having symptoms every day, behind the scenes. If they say yes, they should have to test.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

the Moz wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:31 pm
the Moz wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:11 pm For sure. Novax will compete at the AO and will see no sanctioning of any kind from Australian, Spanish or Serbian authorities.
Please prove me wrong :thumbsup:
Ok, we are hoping you are so wrong. In three different countries. I am even holding the remote hope that Novax lands in Madrid for the Mutua in May, and he gets detained for his infractions in January.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:59 pm I am even holding the remote hope that Novax lands in Madrid for the Mutua in May, and he gets detained for his infractions in January.
The Spanish government stated yesterday that reports that they were investigating him were incorrect.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

He's just not important to the country of Australia, they need him for absolutely nothing. He's inserted himself into a political game as an athlete that he's lost without a speck of grace. Entitled attitudes are hard to pull off in times like these when the majority of people in this world are restricted in one way or another by COVID. I hope this is just the first of many dominoes to fall around him. Do Lacoste, Head, and Asics want the face of the anti-vaxxer movement promoting their brands? I barely see him as a tennis player any longer.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Owendonovan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:23 pm He's just not important to the country of Australia, they need him for absolutely nothing. He's inserted himself into a political game as an athlete that he's lost without a speck of grace. Entitled attitudes are hard to pull off in times like these when the majority of people in this world are restricted in one way or another by COVID. I hope this is just the first of many dominoes to fall around him. Do Lacoste, Head, and Asics want the face of the anti-vaxxer movement promoting their brands? I barely see him as a tennis player any longer.
You're underestimating the sentiment this story creates. Equaling it as "anti-vaxxers" vs "pro-vaxxers" is oversimplifying it. I suspect there are plenty of people who make a personal choice to be vaccinated but are against government bullying of the citizen. In this context Djokovic is the hero because he tries to fight "the machine". Retailers who pay for advertisement will do studies and it may turn out that this mantra "he is entitled" is not shared by the majority. We shall see how it turns out.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Please expand on your comment of "government bullying people". Is there an optic in which that has happened? Either Australia bullying Novax, or Australia bullying its own citizens?
Serious question.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem