C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by ponchi101 »

So far in his career, no reason to believe he is not telling the truth.
How could he know if he did not get a real vaccine? To make things more complex: how about if you went in good faith to a reputable location, paid for a vaccine, got a real certificate, but the vaccine was nothing more than saline water? There were rumors of that happening in Venezuela (which is not Spain, I agree, but the option of logically possible).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

At the same time, it is hard to think of a reason that a hospital would be administering fake vaccines/giving out fake cards to people who didn't ask for them.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Again, I know Spain is not Venezuela, but in my little country, they were charging for the vaccines.
I know, we are a cesspool, but...
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:32 am Again, I know Spain is not Venezuela, but in my little country, they were charging for the vaccines.
I know, we are a cesspool, but...
I need to stop being surprised when you tell us these things about Venezuela. So, with the economic situation there, are there a sizable number of people that are unvaccinated that can't afford it rather than just don't want it?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The people paying for vaccines was early in the pandemic. The Vennie government has gone with Russian vaccines for adults, and Chinese vaccines for children under 18, as they will not use anything from you evil gringos (other than your currency and visiting you every other weekend to have fun in Miami). After that initial scam, the Govt has been supplying more vaccines and they are for free.
My mom got an initial dose of Russian Sputnik V and after that she came down with it. It was when I went there and, honestly, as much as I would not like to give Vlad et al any credit for anything, we have the unconfirmed believe that the vaccine helped her not dying.
The distribution of vaccines got better with time and now it is not hard to get one. I am not sure if my family is already looking at booster shots, but I hope my sister is on top of that.
Last. Most people in Venezuela wanted and want to get vaccinated. No anti-vaxx movement there of any significant size (we have plenty of infections/tropical diseases to understand how beneficial vaccination is).
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Good on Bencic to admit this.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:24 pm
Good on Bencic to admit this.
Agreed. It's very clearly affected more than a few long-term and I can't remember anyone else giving voice to it.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:34 pm
I've had a soft spot for Flipkens ever since I talked with her at a Junior tournament almost 20 years ago. At the Junior tournament, I saw her watching a pro tournament on the TV there, and I said to her, pointing at the TV, "You're going to be there in a few years."
She said "Me? No - I'm not good enough for that."
I told her that, from what I had seen of her, she IS good enough to make it - and we had a little conversation where I encouraged her to reach for her potential.

Her singles career didn't pan out quite as well as I hoped - though she did make it to the Semis at Wimbledon in 2013. And she's had a very respectable doubles career.
At 36 years old, she's likely close to retirement now... but I'll always remember her as the humble yet talented teenager that I had that conversation with almost 20 years ago...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Krecjikova tested positive for C19. Has to withdraw from the doubles at RG too.
Talk about a lousy week :(

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:46 pm Krecjikova tested positive for C19. Has to withdraw from the doubles at RG too.
Talk about a lousy week :(
Wow, that is rough. Hopefully she'll feel better in a few days and can continue to rehab her injury.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's tough for Siniakova, as well... she lost to Leylah yesterday on the court, and lost the opportunity to defend their doubles title without even taking to the court.
Both in the same day.
Not fun...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Marie Bouzkova also tested positive for COVID-19, and has also been removed from the singles and doubles draws.

And, by the way... this virus isn't finished yet.
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:08 am Marie Bouzkova also tested positive for COVID-19, and has also been removed from the singles and doubles draws.

And, by the way... this virus isn't finished yet.
Shush! We're pretending that it is!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ESPN reporting that Cilic has withdrawn from Wimbledon due to C19.