C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Somehow I knew it was him.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Should we assume someone has already tried to do this?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Not necessarily. There have been enough reports of people doing this, and enough players expressing skepticism about vaccination, for the tours to consider this possibility.
Maybe for once they are ahead of the curve.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

A woman (not tennis-related) did this in Hawaii. On the fake vaccine card she had they had spelled Moderna "Maderna". She was fined in the thousands of dollars and put in jail for a couple of weeks, I think.

One can only imagine how this might play out with various players. Good for the ATP.

Kevin
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

A $100,000 fine will obviously have zero effect at the upper pro level - and so may simply be a way to say to the general public (for whom $100,000 is a huge amount of money) that they are doing something to 'punish' those who do this.

I'd like to see the policy modified to be an absolute minimum 1 year complete suspension from any sanctioned tournament for any player - regardless of ranking - proven to have done this. Period.
And a lifetime ban for any idiot who does it twice.
Plus whatever the regional penalties may be for the region where it occurs, of course - which could mean prison time.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And right on cue, Mr. Novak's dad sticks his foot in his mouth:
Novak Djokovic won't be 'blackmailed' over vaccination status as father casts Australian Open doubts

For starters, you can't be blackmailed OPENLY. The man can't even get that concept straight.
And second, and coming from a person that belongs to the 3rd world, your freedom does not allow you to endanger others. So...
Ah, what the heck. We have spoken about this over and over. But now this sows some serious doubts about Novak going over to the Aussie.
Will the big three end up their careers stuck at 20 slams each? (I don't see Rafa winning the Aussie, and Roger is not going either).
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

The sheer idiocy of him refusing to get vaccinated (because the whole privacy issue is a total smokescreen) to the point that he could end up affecting his entire legacy is mind boggling.

And as for his father, we already know he shoots off his mouth without much thought. Maybe it's a translation thing. He means "pressured" or "coerced".

I'm not surprised but still disappointed. :(

Kevin
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

It is alleged that Antonio Brown (NFL player) did this - so it could be ATP trying to get ahead of it.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:38 pm Health care professionals on the level of Dr. Fauci are already prepping to treat this thing as an endemic per dry's last posting I think. Ponchi may not be far off here.
Didn't read Dry's or Ponchi's posts that you mentioned, but Dr. Fauci said in an interview last week with The Daily that "ultimately, all pandemics burn themselves out." It felt like a light at the end of the tunnel when he said that. Which doesn't mean it won't stick around in some endemic form, but it won't be as deadly and will be easier to avoid.
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 8.56.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 9.04.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 8.57.32 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That is sort of surprising, to me. Malaria has not "burned out"; it is endemic to many countries in the world. Sure, we were able to eradicate smallpox, but that is the exception, not the rule. Influenza comes back year after year, with a new variation. The examples are many.
Will we "learn" to live with C19? Well, we are getting a lot of practice, that is for sure. Will it simply go away in two, three years? Who knows, we have joked here that eventually we might need to start using the Sanskrit or Hindu alphabet to label the strains, but so far, it seems this thing is going nowhere, specially with an unvaccinated pool of people roaming a lot of countries.
Interesting comments from Fauci, to put it mildly.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:31 pm That is sort of surprising, to me. Malaria has not "burned out"; it is endemic to many countries in the world. Sure, we were able to eradicate smallpox, but that is the exception, not the rule. Influenza comes back year after year, with a new variation. The examples are many.
Will we "learn" to live with C19? Well, we are getting a lot of practice, that is for sure. Will it simply go away in two, three years? Who knows, we have joked here that eventually we might need to start using the Sanskrit or Hindu alphabet to label the strains, but so far, it seems this thing is going nowhere, specially with an unvaccinated pool of people roaming a lot of countries.
Interesting comments from Fauci, to put it mildly.
You might be right. It was just eye-opening to me and I hadn't heard it anywhere else. Maybe by "burns out," he means weaken to a point that we consider manageable to live with. Malaria isn't a virus, though.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The problem will be defining what level if "manageable to live with". When ICU's are only 50% occupied by C19 patients? When infections finally drop to a given number per 1,000 a day? Those are also figures to think about.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:55 pm The problem will be defining what level if "manageable to live with". When ICU's are only 50% occupied by C19 patients? When infections finally drop to a given number per 1,000 a day? Those are also figures to think about.
It will be something abstract - for instance, when most people feel like they are living freely and not worrying about Covid (ideally with a regularly issued vaccine or one that lasts a lot longer than six months) and hospitals don't consider themselves overwhelmed. I wonder if they can combine flu and Covid vaccines in the future and we can just get one shot each year.

I don' t know how public health officials will gauge "manageable." They use a color-coded system right now, right? So when it drops down to the lowest level?

Back to tennis, I'm starting to think it's extremely possible that Novak won't play any more Slams because they will all require vaccinations. And either Rafa gets the record at 21 or 22 or they all tie at 20.

I THINK he will break down and get it if all Slams require it, but it won't surprise me if he doesn't.