Horse Racing Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Horse Racing Random

Post by ti-amie »

Was it something Yaupon said?! I've never seen that before during a race.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:32 pm Was it something Yaupon said?! I've never seen that before during a race.
The general consensus on Twitter is that all of us have seen an attempted bite in the stretch before. But THAT was something unlike anything before because of the long duration.

It's also a really good thing that Yaupon's tongue was hanging out of the left side of his mouth rather than his right. Can you imagine if Firenze Fire had managed to get hold of Yaupon's tongue?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:19 pm
ti-amie wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:32 pm Was it something Yaupon said?! I've never seen that before during a race.
The general consensus on Twitter is that all of us have seen an attempted bite in the stretch before. But THAT was something unlike anything before because of the long duration.

It's also a really good thing that Yaupon's tongue was hanging out of the left side of his mouth rather than his right. Can you imagine if Firenze Fire had managed to get hold of Yaupon's tongue?
Oh wow. What a horrible thought.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Danceswithbourbon will race at Kentucky Downs on September 9. Remember, that's the track with the super-funky configuration (see below). It'll be 6.5 furlongs on turf, $43,200 purse, claiming price of $30K. Jesus Castanon will be back on board. She'll break from Gate 9 in a field of 12.

I like her chances a lot based on my initial look at the field, though I'm worried 6.5 furlongs MIGHT be longer than she wants to go at this point. But if anyone can properly pace her, it's Castanon. But at Kentucky Downs, you never know how well a horse will take to that turn. Bold Article didn't handle it well when she ran at Kentucky Downs last year.
kentucky-downs-track-layout-54.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

So do races on a track like that get "removed" or an asterisk in a horse's rating? I feel like that would be too much of an outlier
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Fastbackss wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:12 am So do races on a track like that get "removed" or an asterisk in a horse's rating? I feel like that would be too much of an outlier
No. Handicappers have to process all of this information in the back of their heads. KY Downs is different because of its odd shape. CharlesTown is different because it is a shorter oval than most tracks. Fonner Park is an even smaller oval, hence many people call it a bullring because it is almost circular.

But we have to jump those mental hoops all the time. For example, a 1-mile dirt race at Gulfstream park is a 1-turn mile while a 1-mile race at Santa Anita or Churchill is a 2-turn mile.

And sometimes, it actually adds to the intrigue. Take a horse like Sleepy Eyes Todd. In 2020, he won four races--all on dirt. But here's how different they were:

1) He won the Gus Fonner Stakes at Fonner Park at 1 1/16 miles--that's a four-turn race
2) He won the CharlesTown Classic at CharlesTown at 1 1/8 miles--that's a three-turn race (I think)
3) He won the Lafayette Stakes at Keeneland at 7 furlongs--that's a one-turn race
4) He won the Mr. Prospector Stakes at Gulfstream at 7 furlongs--also a one-turn race

Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to duplicate those accomplishments in 2021, but what he accomplished in 2020 was pretty astounding.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

dryrunguy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:00 pm Danceswithbourbon will race at Kentucky Downs on September 9. Remember, that's the track with the super-funky configuration. It'll be 6.5 furlongs on turf, $43,200 purse, claiming price of $30K. Jesus Castanon will be back on board. She'll break from Gate 9 in a field of 12.
So, that didn't go well at all. KY Downs is a crapshoot. You never know who's going to love it and who's going to hate it. DWB definitely fell into the latter category. Maybe it was the turn, maybe it was the taller grass, maybe it was the downhill portion of the course, maybe 6.5 furlongs is too far for her, or maybe she was just outclassed. Or some combination of those. I have no idea. But long story short, she only beat one horse. :( And she looked uncomfortable the whole time. The good news is she did not get claimed. No one did.

EDIT: Here's the chart of the race: https://www.equibase.com/premium/chartE ... y=USA&rn=2. It's not on the chart, but Equibase has assigned a preliminary speed figure of 52 for this race. That's her second slowest race ever and 30 points off her speed figure on turf at Ellis. So, yeah... Hated it!
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

The past week has not been kind to my horses.

Danceswithbourbon did a training work on Tuesday. She ran fine but did not come out of the work well. It turns out she has a small fracture. It is not life-threatening at all. But it is definitely a career-ending injury. So now the partnership has to figure out what to do with her. We have limited options. After she heals, we can: 1) try to sell her privately; 2) try to sell her at the Keeneland Sale in January; or 3) some of the folks in the partnership could get together and buy her as a brood mare. So, we'll see.

Unified Dreams did a training work last Saturday--his first from the gate. The figure was pretty good (48.6 at 4 furlongs--7th fasted of the 2-year-olds at that distance). Unfortunately, a few days later, he started to show signs of soreness. The x-ray revealed an ankle chip. It is not career-ending, and it is not displaced, but it WILL require minor surgery. So he will be out and unable to resume training until about December or January at the earliest. This is not uncommon.

So, yeah. Not a good week. At all. :(

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:04 pm The past week has not been kind to my horses.

Danceswithbourbon did a training work on Tuesday. She ran fine but did not come out of the work well. It turns out she has a small fracture. It is not life-threatening at all. But it is definitely a career-ending injury. So now the partnership has to figure out what to do with her. We have limited options. After she heals, we can: 1) try to sell her privately; 2) try to sell her at the Keeneland Sale in January; or 3) some of the folks in the partnership could get together and buy her as a brood mare. So, we'll see.

Unified Dreams did a training work last Saturday--his first from the gate. The figure was pretty good (48.6 at 4 furlongs--7th fasted of the 2-year-olds at that distance). Unfortunately, a few days later, he started to show signs of soreness. The x-ray revealed an ankle chip. It is not career-ending, and it is not displaced, but it WILL require minor surgery. So he will be out and unable to resume training until about December or January at the earliest. This is not uncommon.

So, yeah. Not a good week. At all. :(
:cry:
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Ugh
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I have tasted the highs. I have tasted the headscratching. Now I have tasted the heartache (which isn't nearly as bad as it can be).

I'm not 100% sure I am cut out for this.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:34 am I have tasted the highs. I have tasted the headscratching. Now I have tasted the heartache (which isn't nearly as bad as it can be).

Whatever happens you can say you tried. That's better than not trying at all.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Due to your posts, Dry, I really have come to like DWB. I hope you guys will find her a great place to spend the rest of her life.
Sorry to hear this news. Hope you are fine.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:34 am I have tasted the highs. I have tasted the headscratching. Now I have tasted the heartache (which isn't nearly as bad as it can be).

I think this has been good for you. Whether or not you stick with it is another story, but I think the experience has been a good one even if it has come with some disappointment and heartbreak. Sort of like not every person is meant to be in your life forever, sometimes there are only meant to be there to teach you the lessons you needed to learn, not every experience is meant to be a long lasting one. I think "not cut out for it" is the wrong way to frame it. You gained life experience by doing this, but it may not be the best fit for you long term. And there's nothing wrong with that.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Damn it. Just when I thought I had pretty much decided I'd skip doing partnerships next year, Shooting Star sent out its flyer for the 2022 syndicate.

Three horses again, but for the first time, one is a gray filly. :freaking: