ATP WTA GS Roland Garros 5/16 - 6/5 2022

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ashkor87 India

Re: ATP WTA GS Roland Garros 5/16 - 6/5 2022

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:19 pm I don't think anybody disliked Sharapova on court more than I did, but overhyped is not something that comes to mind when I think of her. The woman won 5 slams and made several other finals.
I don't see Iga burning out ever. She reminds me a bit of Graf: she likes being #1, and she really hates losing. We saw it at the Olympics, when she lost and was seen crying off court. I think that will carry for quite a while.
True.. 5 slams is more than anyone recently, not named Williams. Although i never liked her game, I always though she was a thorough pro..the doping scandal, yeah, what can I say..partly her team, partly the WTA, partly herself, partly, maybe, the Russian culture of doping..who knows. Appreciated the way she comported herself in victory or defeat.
Last edited by ashkor87 on Fri May 06, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Liamvalid wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:36 am To win 5 slams in that era (including all 4 slams) was mighty impressive from Sharapova. Once Serena started on her journey to a 20-2 H2H and people realised that her Wimbledon win over Serena was a fluke, I think the expectation died down a tad.
Credit her for being the last WTA player to win a career Slam and shed her Clay on Ice saying. Injuries did derail her. By the way, her other win was also a fluke as Serena led 4-0 in decider clearly hurt. However my original statement on her won't change
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

it is a bit early but I think most people here are overlooking Djokovic -he should be the favorite, not Nadal - remember, Djokovic beat Nadal pretty convincingly last year.
I would say Probabilities are
Djokovic 35%
Alcaraz 30%
Nadal 30%
The field 5%
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Nadal had that foot injury, which he aggravated precisely during RG.
Nadal has three losses at RG. After two of them (2009-Soderling, 2021-Djokovic) he has gone out of the tour for a long stretch, because of injuries. So two of those losses are explainable due to the injuries.
Too early indeed, because I want to see what happens in Rome. And Madrid has never been a good indicator for RG, while Rome has been reliable. But, since you started :P :
Nadal 25%
Djokovic 20%
Alcaraz 20%
Tsitsipas 15%
Zverev 10%
Field 10%
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:33 pm it is a bit early but I think most people here are overlooking Djokovic -he should be the favorite, not Nadal - remember, Djokovic beat Nadal pretty convincingly last year.
I would say Probabilities are
Djokovic 35%
Alcaraz 30%
Nadal 30%
The field 5%
50% Nadal
28% Djokovic
21.99% Alcaraz
.01% the field - ie, the chance that all three of those guys get injured or sick

Pretty sure Nadal was injured in the semi vs Djokovic last year and still got a set. Until Nadal is dethroned while healthy at RG, he gets the huge benefit of the doubt from me. I think he will be ready. Other considerations regarding their chances vs Alcaraz - B5 vs B3, and both Novak and Rafa having had a look at the kid now. They will adjust. They will be up for the challenge. That's my prediction.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, Nadal has been looking at the kid for years now. I say on a B5, Nadal gets the edge IF he had an easy 3 setter in the previous round, but if he gets there with a tough 5 setter, those 19 yo legs will matter. The best thing that could happen for Nadal is a Sunday start. That way, he gets to manage himself over 15 days, not 14 or, worst case, 13.
About Djokovic: he is going to remember "I could have been the one with 21 slams by now". Sure, all his fault, but since he does not see it that way, he can get really fueled by that.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I think it may very well come down to the draw. I don't think Novax or Rafa can beat the other one and then Carlitos. And maybe asking Carlitos to pull off the Novax / Rafa double in best of 5 is too big an ask right now. The draw definitely matters. Also, I read an article that says that Rafa's foot is kind of a permanent injury that he just has to manage. I just wonder if he'll ever be 100% healthy again. At least this year it's more wide open, which is nice.

Kevin
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:37 pm Well, Nadal has been looking at the kid for years now. I say on a B5, Nadal gets the edge IF he had an easy 3 setter in the previous round, but if he gets there with a tough 5 setter, those 19 yo legs will matter. The best thing that could happen for Nadal is a Sunday start. That way, he gets to manage himself over 15 days, not 14 or, worst case, 13.
About Djokovic: he is going to remember "I could have been the one with 21 slams by now". Sure, all his fault, but since he does not see it that way, he can get really fueled by that.
I don’t think Rafa has ever had the Sunday start (I’m going on the first Tuesday this year so hope that is when he plays his first match). I too think a lot depends on the draw, and I feel like Rafa needs Djokovic and Alcaraz to be on the other side of it if he wants to win the title
Mary, queen of shots
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The draw will be crucial. Agree. If Medvedev plays (and no reason why not) he is the softest quarter. And I don't think he makes the QF's, so some 5-8 seed will inherit that.
I still say: let's not forget Tsitsipas. He was close last year, and as long as he does not get Alcaraz, I say he is dangerous. But Alcaraz owns him right now.
If Rafa and Nole draw each other in the SF, I don't know is by now they can recharge again for the finals.
For Rafa: I hope he gets that Sunday start. For Liamvalid: I hope he gets Tuesday. But I like Rafa better than you, buddy :P Sorry ;)
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:51 pm The draw will be crucial. Agree. If Medvedev plays (and no reason why not) he is the softest quarter. And I don't think he makes the QF's, so some 5-8 seed will inherit that.
I still say: let's not forget Tsitsipas. He was close last year, and as long as he does not get Alcaraz, I say he is dangerous. But Alcaraz owns him right now.
If Rafa and Nole draw each other in the SF, I don't know is by now they can recharge again for the finals.
For Rafa: I hope he gets that Sunday start. For Liamvalid: I hope he gets Tuesday. But I like Rafa better than you, buddy :P Sorry ;)
Haha well I would settle for Rafa getting the Sunday if Alcaraz plays on Tuesday. I’ve seen Rafa live at the ATP finals
But would love to see him on Chatrier. I researched what day he usually plays his first match and it appears to be quite random on either the Monday or Tuesday, so I got a 50/50 chance. Having said that, they now have a “night session” ticket so my ticket only grants me access to the first 3 matches. If Nadal plays Tuesday but is on last I will cry
Mary, queen of shots
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Liamvalid wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:02 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:51 pm The draw will be crucial. Agree. If Medvedev plays (and no reason why not) he is the softest quarter. And I don't think he makes the QF's, so some 5-8 seed will inherit that.
Haha well I would settle for Rafa getting the Sunday if Alcaraz plays on Tuesday. I’ve seen Rafa live at the ATP finals
But would love to see him on Chatrier. I researched what day he usually plays his first match and it appears to be quite random on either the Monday or Tuesday, so I got a 50/50 chance. Having said that, they now have a “night session” ticket so my ticket only grants me access to the first 3 matches. If Nadal plays Tuesday but is on last I will cry
Have you looked to see if he usually plays early-round matches in the day session or night session? Maybe you could sneak into the night session. What if they don't clear out the stadium and you just stay there?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Night session at RG? I have been in Paris that time of the year (went to the tournament) and the sun sets at 9:30. What time do they plan to start the night session? 10:30pm? :confused:
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:52 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:02 pm
Have you looked to see if he usually plays early-round matches in the day session or night session? Maybe you could sneak into the night session. What if they don't clear out the stadium and you just stay there?
I would have happily bought both session tickets, but my husband hates tennis and it took me a week of grovelling just to get him to agree to go at all!
Mary, queen of shots
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:16 pm Night session at RG? I have been in Paris that time of the year (went to the tournament) and the sun sets at 9:30. What time do they plan to start the night session? 10:30pm? :confused:
This was new last year. They are calling the 4th match on Chatrier the “night session”, If I remember, the night sessions last year were played without a crowd because of a COVID related curfew. Didn’t they have to evacuate the stadium mid match a few times to get the crowd home in time?
Mary, queen of shots
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Now that you mention it, yes, they did. And one match, I remember, the crowd almost revolted.
I forgot.