Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
AcesAnnie United States of America

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by AcesAnnie »

Thank you ponch101 & ti-amie, it certainly will be a different experience for me. I have worked either as a receptionist/secretary or as a Medical Transcriptionist all of my working life, other than when my two children were young. I have enjoyed my running and at a younger age, I was pretty competitive at it. Now with running I do it for keeping in shape and the pure enjoyment of it. Tennis was just something that always intrigued me. Watching the game as an outsider and seeing the gracefulness and also power of the game, I quickly became interested in that. I played the game for exercise and enjoyment, and never really thought much of perfecting it because it was just fun for me. Now, that this person who seems to have some know how of the game says I have some natural ability for the game, I will see if he can grow my game into another level. It will certainly be interesting.

I will also add input to the lessons as to what I want to learn and the things he will attempt to adjust in my game and have me work on.
meganfernandez United States of America

Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by meganfernandez »

Oh dear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Christina McHale has retired from tennis after losing in USO qualifying.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Every time I see Serena's daughter Olympia - in photos or on TV - she is dressed exactly like Serena.
This is the case again tonight - Serena is on the court in her 'glitter dress', and Olympia is in the seats in an identical dress.

While it will of course get many 'Oh, that's so cute" comments on 'social media', I don't like it, and feel that it reeks of Serena's ego. (And 'social media' reactions should certainly not be used as a measure of what is good.)
It's also quite unhealthy for the child, as it risks stunting her own individualism and independent nature.
Raising your child to be a mini version of yourself may satisfy one's ego - but it is not a good for the child.
I hope she stops doing this soon.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Olympia is in school now so I'm sure Serena has had to let go a bit.

As for dressing alike Olympia is still young. Give her a few more years and she'll be doing her own thing. You only see the dressing alike at tournaments. Outside of them Olympia dresses like a regular kid.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:23 am Olympia is in school now so I'm sure Serena has had to let go a bit.

As for dressing alike Olympia is still young. Give her a few more years and she'll be doing her own thing. You only see the dressing alike at tournaments. Outside of them Olympia dresses like a regular kid.
No... Actually tonight is the first time I've seen them dressing alike at a tournament (Serena hasn't played much lately). Previously, I've seen them dressed the same at home, at a shopping mall, fooling around on a tennis court, etc.
It's far from a rare occurrence, it seems.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Fiona Ferro has filed rape charges against her former coach. This is a translation. The original, in Spanish, is behind a paywall.
Translation via Google Translate:

Today it has been announced that the tennis player Fiona Ferro, who fell before reaching the main draw of the US Open, has filed a complaint against her former coach Pierre Bouteyre for rape and sexual assault, in relation to some events that allegedly took place between 2012 and 2015 in Saint-Raphael (in French Provence), at a tennis club, when the player was between 15 and 18 years old.

Pierre Bouteyre was charged on August 18 and, according to several Nice media, the coach, who will soon turn 51, acknowledged "the materiality of the facts, but denies the accusation of rape", according to the words of his lawyer, Maitre Virginie Pin .

There is a restraining order so that Bouteyre does not get close to Ferro, who is currently 259 in the ATP ranking, and for the moment has been banned from training minors. The police have opened an investigation in case the defendant could have attacked other tennis players in the center where he was a coach.

https://www.marca.com/tenis/us-open/202 ... b457d.html
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:19 pm Fiona Ferro has filed rape charges against her former coach. This is a translation. The original, in Spanish, is behind a paywall.
Translation via Google Translate:

Today it has been announced that the tennis player Fiona Ferro, who fell before reaching the main draw of the US Open, has filed a complaint against her former coach Pierre Bouteyre for rape and sexual assault, in relation to some events that allegedly took place between 2012 and 2015 in Saint-Raphael (in French Provence), at a tennis club, when the player was between 15 and 18 years old.

Pierre Bouteyre was charged on August 18 and, according to several Nice media, the coach, who will soon turn 51, acknowledged "the materiality of the facts, but denies the accusation of rape", according to the words of his lawyer, Maitre Virginie Pin .

There is a restraining order so that Bouteyre does not get close to Ferro, who is currently 259 in the ATP ranking, and for the moment has been banned from training minors. The police have opened an investigation in case the defendant could have attacked other tennis players in the center where he was a coach.

https://www.marca.com/tenis/us-open/202 ... b457d.html
I assume they mean Fiona is currently #259 in the WTA rankings, not the ATP rankings - unless they've adopted one of Ashkor's alternative ranking systems :D .

Here's an English article about it, stating that Cornet is sort of involved, as well...

"I was not consenting", says Fiona Ferro

R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Here's a little more on the Kostyuk / Azarenka non-relationship...

"I'm not gonna shake her hand", Says Kostyuk About Azarenka...

R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A bit over the top for me, but I am not the one whose country is being invaded.
And I appreciate her honesty.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The article is probably behind a paywall.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

SvenTennis.eth @sventennis
Thank you @vika7 for giving your voice on this subject!!
@PHShriver has been brave to share story and I know there are many more! An anonymous number where people can call into is the first thing that needs to be established!
@wta
@itf
@atptour
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:57 pm

The article is probably behind a paywall.
No - it's not behind a paywall - at least right now, and for me, it is accessible...
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

When it comes to certain news outlets like the one above or the WSJ I don't even check to see if the article is paywalled or not. Glad that this isn't.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »