Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by Deuce »

Well... that's surely going to get Wimbledon and the U.K. to change their minds and allow Russian and Belarusian players to play, huh?

This idiot may just have just completely sealed the fate of the Russian and Belarusian players in U.K. tournaments.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 pm Well, that tells you how a lot of people in Russia think.
Tarpischev is not "a lot of people in Russia" - he is fully entrenched in the regime in multiple ways.

Not to say that no people in Russia think that.

I hope some of the top Russian players show some backbone.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You would certainly know more about that than I can.
He has been head of the Russian Tennis Federation for a long time. Is he not representative of the older generation? (Serious question). People that still want to bring Russia to its former glory?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:35 pm You would certainly know more about that than I can.
He has been head of the Russian Tennis Federation for a long time. Is he not representative of the older generation? (Serious question). People that still want to bring Russia to its former glory?
He is an opportunist (who does care about tennis). When the regime was Yeltsin, he was BFFs with Yeltsin, he has ties to the mob, he put his son in leadership roles within the Tennis Federation with no qualifications.

Do I think he has a hegemonic views and so do many other Russians? Sure. Honestly, I catch myself with those views sometimes (not about Ukraine). But I think Tarpishev's statements at this point are a mix between trying to toe the party line and word diarrhea
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Set Tenis
@settenisok
El nuevo contrato de Sinner con Nike:

USD$150 millones por 10 años.

info:
@Gazzetta_it
Translated from Spanish by Google
Sinner's new contract with Nike:

USD$150 million for 10 years.

info:
@Gazzetta_it
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

They know something I don't.
I admit, he is very likeable, and he has potential. But if this is the bar they are setting, I wonder what kind of contract they will give Carlitos, when the time comes to re-new his contract. $15MM/year is a lot of money for a player with not even a MS1000.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:32 pm They know something I don't.
I admit, he is very likeable, and he has potential. But if this is the bar they are setting, I wonder what kind of contract they will give Carlitos, when the time comes to re-new his contract. $15MM/year is a lot of money for a player with not even a MS1000.
We saw this in the NBA and we know how that turned out. Blake Griffin? Damian Lillard? Chris Paul?
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:26 pm Set Tenis
@settenisok
El nuevo contrato de Sinner con Nike:

USD$150 millones por 10 años.

info:
@Gazzetta_it
Translated from Spanish by Google
Sinner's new contract with Nike:

USD$150 million for 10 years.

info:
@Gazzetta_it

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I absolutely LOVE that gif.

I wish that it was true in this case.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:34 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:32 pm They know something I don't.
We saw this in the NBA and we know how that turned out. Blake Griffin? Damian Lillard? Chris Paul?
Nope. NBA is different. Nike actually does sign big contracts all the time for top NBA players, some work, some don't. There's varying degrees to the amount, but many are super high numbers. There's also a completely different and broadrer market involved here, one that doesn't involve actually playing basketball.

Sinner getting Federer money when he's only made a single Masters final? Again, I call BS.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

One would think that the health issues are serious if articles are being written about it...

Kim Pegula Under Treatment for 'Unexpected Health Issues'

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Saudi Arabia 'are plotting a major push into women's tennis by bringing a WTA Tour event to the Gulf state' - as they look to expand their reach following controversial launch of LIV Golf Series as well as profiles in F1 and football
The WTA have reportedly refused to rule out a possible link up with Saudi Arabia
The Gulf State have come under fire for alleged human rights abuses
China were recently criticised by WTA for treatment of tennis star Peng Shuai

Saudi Arabia are reportedly looking to continue their controversial push to expand their sporting reach as they set their sights on a deal involving women's tennis.

The nation have invested heavily into sport in recent years, with the highly controversial £2billion breakaway LIV Golf Series as well as staging Formula One grands prix and various football projects.

According to the Telegraph, the Women's Tennis Association declined to rule out a potential link up with the state when contacted.

A spokesperson for the WTA confirmed to the publication that: 'We have received inquiries from Saudi Arabia as to interest in bringing a WTA event to the region.

'As a global organisation, we are always interested and appreciative of inquiries received from anywhere in the world and we look seriously at what each opportunity may bring [but] we have not entered into formal negotiations.'

The Saudis have reportedly been seeking a deal with the men's ATP Tour over the past five years, although they have been knocked back in their approaches and now appear to be changing tact.

However the WTA does not hold the same financial security as its men's equivalent tour, especially after taking a strong moral stand against China.

Chief executive Steve Simon had spoken out against China following the apparent silencing of women's tennis star Peng Shuai last year, but the admirable principles have hurt access to a key source of funds for the organisation.

Saudi Arabia have also made approaches in the past to offer eye watering amounts of money to star players to play in exhibition matches.

Former British and world No 1 Andy Murray has been one of many top players to reject an offer, turning down £1.5million to play in the country over concerns regarding human rights in the gulf state.

Saudi Arabia have been criticised by Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch for attempting to boost their nation's reputation by holding global sporting events, a practice known as 'sports washing.'

Homosexuality is illegal in Saudi Arabia while woman's rights also lag, while journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who had frequently criticised the state's royal family, was brutally murdered in the Saudi embassy in Istanbul in 2018.

Murray has long been an advocate of gay rights and women's rights and his representative Matt Gentry said the Scot had no interest in playing in Saudi Arabia due to the country's record on human rights.

'He's turned down stuff in Saudi; I don't think he will play there just because of what's gone on,' Gentry told the podcast SportUnlocked back in January.

'If he feels strongly about something he will happily call it out. He's not scared to voice his opinion.

'They have done a few exhibition matches where they have paid eye-watering sums of money to get players over there and he just wasn't interested.

'For turning up and playing a match, if you are a former No 1 player in the world, in the Middle East you could potentially earn $1m to $2m.

'That's for the top players, the big global names, and I think golf is pretty similar.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... g-WTA.html
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The logistics: any tournament in the gulf can only be held in the Boreal winter. Otherwise, it has to be an air-conditioned, covered stadium. The weather on any other month will simply melt anybody.
But: A WOMEN'S tournament, in a country where women basically do not have any rights? Plus, what will they do about women in skirts?
I would find it very hypocritical of the WTA to accept that money.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:11 pm The logistics: any tournament in the gulf can only be held in the Boreal winter. Otherwise, it has to be an air-conditioned, covered stadium. The weather on any other month will simply melt anybody.
But: A WOMEN'S tournament, in a country where women basically do not have any rights? Plus, what will they do about women in skirts?
I would find it very hypocritical of the WTA to accept that money.
If I worked for the WTA in on-site operations, I would refuse to go.