Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I sorry, he must have talent as a coach/hitting partner, but he also must be dumb as a pile of bricks to do something as stupid as this. He ruined his entire career and what a sweet career he had going for him.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:24 pm
Did anyone ever say what the cause of the explosion was from?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Let's hope it was a kitchen. Please.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:49 pm Let's hope it was a kitchen. Please.
I hope so.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I wasn't sure where to put this so it's okay to move it if it shouldn't be here.

He's still in Manacor.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No, that is the new ON/OFF/Charger plug.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

In the latest edition of 'Constraints and Restrictions in the Land of the NOT VERY FREE', we have this idiocy from the 'Citi Open' in Washington.

This ridiculousness is creeping its way up here, too... I used to be able to go to pro tennis tournaments with my rather large tennis bag, which contained at least one racquet, shoes, etc. - and my friends and I would get on any free court we saw and hit - and it was no problem. But today, you can't enter the tournament site with a racquet (but you can purchase a racquet at the tournament site!), your bag must be no larger than a certain size, your camera can't be 'too large'... and there was even one year a few years ago when they wouldn't let me in to the tournament site with my double-walled water bottle. When I asked why, they said "Because you can throw it at a player." INSANE! I replied "Well, then, I should leave you my shoes, as well, then, because I could throw them at a player, too! And what about my hands - I could make a fist and hit a player! You should amputate my hands immediately!"
Fortunately, the following year, that idiotic water bottle policy was removed - but, because they must maintain a level of idiocy, you weren't allowed to enter with water in your water bottle! You had to dump the water out on the ground before entry! I told them they can SMELL my water bottle if they are afraid that it's vodka or something - and that will prove it's water. But no - they 'weren't allowed' to smell it.

One other ridiculous thing is no sunblock in a spray - "Because it could explode".
I'm telling you - these people have to be taking courses on idiocy!!

And now, no backpacks in Washington (see image below). It wasn't enough that they checked everyone's backpack - now they have just eliminated backpacks altogether - in the name of safety! I'm sure that a person could challenge this constitutionally, as backpacks are obviously not illegal to have in public.

I have told the overzealous people at tournaments that if they truly want everyone to be safe, maybe all fans should have to be completely naked, and carrying nothing. Or they should simply not allow any fans in at all. If everyone locks themselves in their bathroom at home and never comes out, the world would surely be a 'safe place'!

On top of that, to get a ticket to a tournament these days, you need to do it online, while giving all sorts of personal information (name, E mail address, cell phone number, etc.). We used to be able to buy tickets anonymously, of course. But now, Big Brother is everywhere, asking for your personal information - and we have no control over what they do with that personal information, or who they give it to, etc.

I've been going to pro tournaments for over 40 years, and I say unequivocally that it's much, much less enjoyable now than it was 30, 40 years ago - because of the idiotic rules and restrictions they've increasingly put in place, and the insistence on gathering our personal info, as well as the fact that the players have been more and more secluded from fans behind 'security personnel', etc. Hell, a friend and I had a face to face 10 minute conversation with Jimmy Connors at a tournament when he was top 5 in the world. No way that is 'allowed' to happen today.
I feel sorry for the kids today - all they can hope for from their favourite players is a quick scribble on a piece of paper or a hat, or a quick photo.

https://www.citiopentennis.com/event_in ... adernavsub

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Honestly, the only one that is on the prohibited list that I would see as ridiculous to bring is a laptop. Unless you are some sort of reporter, why would you need that? The rest of the stuff, especially with the heat a hydration pack would be really nice to have. I guess they want you to purchase a $15 water bottle at the place though.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:18 pm Honestly, the only one that is on the prohibited list that I would see as ridiculous to bring is a laptop. Unless you are some sort of reporter, why would you need that? The rest of the stuff, especially with the heat a hydration pack would be really nice to have. I guess they want you to purchase a $15 water bottle at the place though.
You have a job, you may want to connect to the web in case you need to do some issues that are work related, but you also want to go see some tennis.
A lot of people are still working remotely. Somebody may want to come to the tournament and in between matches get some work done.

But we all know of those devilish Al-Qaeda bomb laptops, right?

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:32 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:18 pm Honestly, the only one that is on the prohibited list that I would see as ridiculous to bring is a laptop. Unless you are some sort of reporter, why would you need that? The rest of the stuff, especially with the heat a hydration pack would be really nice to have. I guess they want you to purchase a $15 water bottle at the place though.
You have a job, you may want to connect to the web in case you need to do some issues that are work related, but you also want to go see some tennis.
A lot of people are still working remotely. Somebody may want to come to the tournament and in between matches get some work done.

But we all know of those devilish Al-Qaeda bomb laptops, right?
I guess if you are a reporter or something they would allow a laptop, but only in certain areas. For regular people, if they wanted to get information their phones have all of that. As for working, I don't know if you have to work than work at home or wherever. I come to a tennis match to watch the tennis match and even though I don't have a job, I want to watch the match.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Scenario.
You bought your tickets for the DC tournament, a few months ago. Your a**hole boss assigns you a project last week, due on Friday. You don't want to let that ticket go to waste, but... it's your boss and your job ;)
So you decide to multitask (which usually ends up in multi-crap, as you do a lousy job and really can't watch the match properly).
You have still not enjoyed the pleasures of a 9 to 5. Or, an 8 to whenever.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

When we went to the Charleston Open, we went to the shop the first day to buy a “clear tote” to use the next day but they don’t even sell them. We could only bring in an unopened water bottle (1 each). Don’t screw up and open it for a sip on the shuttle from the parking lot. I guess women are supposed to advertise their period by carrying feminine products in their clear tote since the wallet size purse sure won’t accommodate that.

I guess I should qualify that as people who menstruate.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Is this rules of the ATP & WTA or is this just a Citi Open rule?
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:46 pm Is this rules of the ATP & WTA or is this just a Citi Open rule?
This applies to many event venues - not just sporting events.