Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:08 pm
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:06 pm Interesting that it may have a gaming reference with regard to the top and bottom symbols. The only reason I know how big gaming is is because of my son-in-law.
The circular arrangement of the four icons is also reminiscent of a gaming controller.
Oh! So it's not meant to be understood by non gamers and olds like me.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:10 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:08 pm
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:06 pm Interesting that it may have a gaming reference with regard to the top and bottom symbols. The only reason I know how big gaming is is because of my son-in-law.
The circular arrangement of the four icons is also reminiscent of a gaming controller.
Oh! So it's not meant to be understood by non gamers and olds like me.
No. We are irrelevant here. :) And maybe I am way off base. That's my interpretation.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

There are several players that are known as gamers, that make money thru Twitch or another platform, some with hefty sponsorships. Daniil is not one of them. So if this is supposed to connote gamer, one would have to ask why. Unless he's keeping his playing very much under wraps, which seems unlikely, I don't think that's what it is. Unless that's something they are targeting in the future and this is more aspirational than anything else.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:06 pm The trademark filing part might be a newish thing, but other players have logos who aren't necessarily marketing powerhouses. Sinner and Barty come to mind as players who unveiled logos. I don't particularly understand Daniil's logo, looks like it would be better suited for Cibulkova than him or Dominic Thiem honestly, but it's fine. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't take off the way he's hoping it does.
Curious what makes you associate it with Thiem (or Cibulkova... certainly no one outside of Slovakia and hardcore tennis fans would know her)?

I don't know if it's super-great, but I get the reference to Medvedev. He's leaning into the spelling of his name with the two IIs that also form the legs as part of a body on the little icon. It kind of looks like a person hitting a forehand - stretching to a forehand is a common photo I've seen of Medvedev. So, not a super obvious association but I'm not sure what would be an obvious one for him unless it were just a speech bubble that said "Bulls**t Russian"
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:10 pm
Curious what makes you associate it with Thiem (or Cibulkova... certainly no one outside of Slovakia and hardcore tennis fans would know her)?
Because it looks like it spells out DOMI.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:28 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:10 pm
Because it looks like it spells out DOMI.
Oh DUH. Missed that completely.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Notice how if you change the word COACH for NANNY in Tsitsipas' statement, it changes nothing.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:05 pm Notice how if you change the word COACH for NANNY in Tsitsipas' statement, it changes nothing.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:03 pm

But the same can be said of the women players. Yet coaching is permitted for them (except at Majors).

As I've said many times - either allow in-match coaching or don't allow it, but make it the same for both the ATP and WTA - and at the ITF level for men and women.

Where I feel that in-match coaching should always be permitted is at the Junior level. These kids are learning the game, and I feel that they would learn more efficiently and faster if in-match coaching were permitted.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I agree about coaching at the Junior Level. It would be a sign of maturity, a graduation of sorts, for those players to not need on court/in match coaching when they join the main tour.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:I agree about coaching at the Junior Level. It would be a sign of maturity, a graduation of sorts, for those players to not need on court/in match coaching when they join the main tour.
What about college?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would agree on college because the format is more like Davis Cup, in the sense that it is a team Vs a team.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:I would agree on college because the format is more like Davis Cup, in the sense that it is a team Vs a team.
I’m fine with coaching period, but definitely in juniors and college. It’s how you learn. And you can’t replicate the match pressure, so it’s the only chance for coaching while playing a match. I’d love for a designated USTA league to allow coaching. I got some coaching input in a practice set recently and learned sooo much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I am fine with coaching while the match is going on. I wouldn't want like a 5 minute conversation to go on between the coach and player though.