Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

Uhm.... a bit on the pedantic indeed, but you have a point.
Sort of when somebody says that somebody won a Grand Slam, meaning only one of the four. I guess by now the idiom has stuck.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Some people from Racquet split off after the falling out last year and formed a newsletter called The Second Serve. Giri Nathan, their top writer and also with Defector, is one of them.

Last night, I had a watch party in Indy for the Australan Open. A woman came whose daughter is a young ESPN writer. She writes longform about all kinds of sports, and has done some tennis. Good follow - Aishwarya Kumar.

Post by meganfernandez »

Tennis player Thai-Son Kwiatkowski called out McEnroe for doing zero research on lower-ranked players - in this case, Zizou Bergs when he played Tsitsipas.

"Insane to me that time and time again J. McEnroe goes on air and just admits he has zero clue who a player is. (Today, bergs, 120 atp) just says to the world, hey guys, I’ve done zero research for my job and I’m just going to disrespect someone who’s top 150 in the world at a job."

https://x.com/thaikwiatkowski/status/17 ... 40570?s=20
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Maybe now that players are speaking up about JMac's ignorance of modern tennis let alone the men and women who play it ESPN will get rid of him (buy out his contract?) and replace not only him but his cronies with men and women who actually follow the sport they're being paid to comment on. He's been like this for years and yet somehow remains.

I'm sure Murray would work for the BBC (JMac also works there) and would be a great commentator. Tennis Channel despite its faults does great commentary and analysis. Pay them the big bucks.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Murray's mumbling tone may be an issue. Insights? Sure, he would be great. Funny? You know he can be. Understandable? Well, he IS from Scotland...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Isn't Kyrgios commentating? Could he be the tennis version on Stephen A?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:02 pm
Maybe now that players are speaking up about JMac's ignorance of modern tennis let alone the men and women who play it ESPN will get rid of him (buy out his contract?) and replace not only him but his cronies with men and women who actually follow the sport they're being paid to comment on. He's been like this for years and yet somehow remains.

I'm sure Murray would work for the BBC (JMac also works there) and would be a great commentator. Tennis Channel despite its faults does great commentary and analysis. Pay them the big bucks.
TC needs to pony up a few bucks to send a crew to tournaments. They are seriously slacking off. No one in Melbourne now. They didn't have a desk or any talent on the grounds at the US OPEN! Wertheim told me it's because ESPN blocked them - said they didn't want TC to have a presence - but it might also be because TC is cheap.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:06 pm Isn't Kyrgios commentating? Could he be the tennis version on Stephen A?
Yes, he is commentating on ESPN during the Aussie. What/who is Stephen A?

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:05 pm Murray's mumbling tone may be an issue. Insights? Sure, he would be great. Funny? You know he can be. Understandable? Well, he IS from Scotland...
Subtitles. Fixed. :)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:08 pm
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:02 pm

TC needs to pony up a few bucks to send a crew to tournaments. They are seriously slacking off. No one in Melbourne now. They didn't have a desk or any talent on the grounds at the US OPEN! Wertheim told me it's because ESPN blocked them - said they didn't want TC to have a presence - but it might also be because TC is cheap.
I believe that ESPN ( JMac) would block TC. Murray could be trained to, you know, speak up and stop the mumbling.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:09 pm Yes, he is commentating on ESPN during the Aussie. What/who is Stephen A?
I could try to explain, but I can't do him justice.

Post by meganfernandez »

skatingfan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:33 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:09 pm Yes, he is commentating on ESPN during the Aussie. What/who is Stephen A?
I could try to explain, but I can't do him justice.

Oh, yeah, Stephen Smith. Sorry. :)
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

John McEnroe is the best tennis commentator out there in my opinion.

I get exhausted by the criticism of him. Should he know more about the lesser players? Of course, but here's what he does better than any commentator that ever lived--discard his preconceived notions about a match and view it for what is actually happening once it starts. A lot of people here are weak in that department, so I get that it goes unnoticed.

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:00 am John McEnroe is the best tennis commentator out there in my opinion.

I get exhausted by the criticism of him. Should he know more about the lesser players? Of course, but here's what he does better than any commentator that ever lived--discard his preconceived notions about a match and view it for what is actually happening once it starts. A lot of people here are weak in that department, so I get that it goes unnoticed.
I like him a lot, too, but he could bother to read the cheat sheet they hand him about a player, and watch a couple clips. Takes 10 minutes. :)

Nice point.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Nice interview of Djokovic with Somdev on the Sony network..Asked what has changed in the game since he started in it, Djokovic thought for a moment and said it is thd fact that the top 10 players are so professionally prepared, from trainers to coaches to psychologists to analytics, they travel with a team that keeps them absolutely ready for every day..I think he was also pointing out that he is not the only one! But certainly every top player is now a finely tuned machine..the gap between them and the rest can only widen....