Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Our main board to talk about our sport
skatingfan Canada

Re: Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Post by skatingfan »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:33 am Meanwhile, Tennis.com informs us that Musetti beat shapovalov..poor Sonego, can't even get credit...I suppose all Italians are the same to some journalists...
This clearly belongs here.

https://www.tennis.com/news/videos/matc ... -finals-sf
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

skatingfan wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:51 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:33 am Meanwhile, Tennis.com informs us that Musetti beat shapovalov..poor Sonego, can't even get credit...I suppose all Italians are the same to some journalists...
This clearly belongs here.

https://www.tennis.com/news/videos/matc ... -finals-sf
Spoiling the fun by repeating my reply to the original post in the Davis Cup thread:

It's a mistake, but when I have freelanced for Tennis.com producing the website, I have published several mistakes. And I think I'm pretty good! One's attention is divided into about 100 different shards. It's sloppy, but having been there, I understand how it happens. It's shockingly easy to make what looks like a really stupid mistake. Probably the pressure of getting stuff up fast and not having two sets of eyes on things.

Having edited for 25 years, I know it's possible to stare at an error for an hour and not see it, no matter how good you are. Confirmation bias, tired brains, etc.

I don't think I have ever used the wrong player's name, but I bet I will eventually. It can be updated. Not the end of the world.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Sorry, Megan - but when a well known entity like Tennis.com makes such an obvious error... and STILL has not corrected it, the criticism is both legitimate and valid.

This is very different than one of us posting a similar error here in this forum. I imagine that a company as significant as Tennis.com is not a one person show - they have more than just one writer employed at a given time. They are well established in the field, and there is no excuse to allow such an error still being present 12 hours (and more) after it was first (widely) noticed.

Tennis.com has taken on the responsibility of properly and accurately informing its readers. It has been favourably compensated for doing such over the years. When they fail in such a glaring fashion as this, and neglect to correct the error that many others have noted, there is no legitimate excuse.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I couldn't grab it fast enough but People magazine had a picture of Serena up for Venus's AO withdrawal.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

One could say it is progress if they took it down fast enough... sigh.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This didn't age well...

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Why didn't it age well? He is risky, I would agree with that. The sports biggest draw could be challenged, but he does draw people (maybe Rafa is a larger draw).
What's your take? He had to withdraw from the Aussie, so the risk was there. What do you say?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:51 pm Why didn't it age well? He is risky, I would agree with that. The sports biggest draw could be challenged, but he does draw people (maybe Rafa is a larger draw).
What's your take? He had to withdraw from the Aussie, so the risk was there. What do you say?
I don't see a byline on this which means this press release was just published as news. The US tennis establishment is firmly behind pushing Kyrgios as The One to save tennis and this is in line with that point of view.

Kyrgios record over 11 years is one major final and two quarter finals.

He is not, nor does he want to be, the face of tennis in my opinion. If this was posted to bring new fans to the sport I hope they stick around and see some of the really new faces of tennis.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:02 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:51 pm Why didn't it age well? He is risky, I would agree with that. The sports biggest draw could be challenged, but he does draw people (maybe Rafa is a larger draw).
I don't see a byline on this which means this press release was just published as news. The US tennis establishment is firmly behind pushing Kyrgios as The One to save tennis and this is in line with that point of view.

Kyrgios record over 11 years is one major final and two quarter finals.

He is not, nor does he want to be, the face of tennis in my opinion. If this was posted to bring new fans to the sport I hope they stick around and see some of the really new faces of tennis.
Ok. I agree. I have also said it. If the ATP wants him to be the face of tennis, there are other palatable faces now that are more reliable. And come with less controversy.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Tennis.com informs us in a headline that Swiatek dropped just two matches in the tournament! How does one stay in the tournament dropping two MATCHES?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Uhm.... if you are in the WTA finals (or the ATP finals), you can still be in.
But yes, that is very sloppy. Better stay here at TAT2.0.
(How come we don't have a gazillion members? :? )
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

You would expect the editors at Tennis.com to know the difference between a game and a match!
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:14 pm Uhm.... if you are in the WTA finals (or the ATP finals), you can still be in.
But yes, that is very sloppy. Better stay here at TAT2.0.
(How come we don't have a gazillion members? :? )
Quality is always preferable over quantity.
I hope we remain this way.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Ed Salmon
@fogmount@mas.to
Reminder to commentator Elliot Richardson: “Párrizas” is not an Italian name and does not rhyme with “pizzas”.

https://mas.to/@fogmount/109955809650011626
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ah... it is not an italian name, indeed. But it does rhyme with pizzas ;)