Injury and Illness

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Injury and Illness

Post by ti-amie »

I remember how much promise Destanee showed a few years ago and now to read this. Echoing what the person who tweeted this out said: hopefully she will get all of the help she needs.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:24 pm Horrible

I'm not familiar with her - but I'll be looking out for her at any tournament I'm at... and if i see her, I'll be sure to talk with her and encourage her as much as she allows me to.

It never ceases to amaze me how much internal pain people conceal from others.
There is a worrisome level of lack of trust in each other in this world. Some of it is warranted and justified, but some is a figment of people's imagination. People fear opening up to others - and the main fear by far is that those we open up to will simply not care - and that will make the person feel even worse.

The bottom line is that we need more decent, caring people on the planet.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Wow. I gather I am still stuck in my post of how tough this sport is on players' bodies. And it is not as if Pavs is a fragile-built player.
Hope she will recover soon.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yeah... the racquets they use today are significantly lighter than the racquets of 30, 40 years ago, so it must be that the balls are much, much heavier than they were in past generations for today's players to be injured much more often than yesterday's players.

One could argue that the game is more demanding now, because it's faster... I suppose that's legitimate.
But the fitness routines, technology, and equipment are also much better today than they were 30, 40 years ago. And back then, a lot of players didn't even do the fitness exercizes that were available. And they missed less time on court due to injury than today's players, they basically never retired during a match...

I'll stick with my theory that today's players are simply spoiled and less committed to the game than were the players of the past.
There's much more money in tennis today - including in the cheques the players receive. This, of course, is directly related to the comparative lack of commitment from the players.

As for Pavlyuchenkova... She'll be 31 years old in a couple of months. And she says she'll take the rest of the year off...
It would not surprise me if we've seen the last of her as a top player... and maybe the last of her, period.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I didn't know that Krejcikova has not been playing due to an elbow injury. That is one of those that take a long time to heal, and then a lot of time to rehab. Seriously in doubt to defend RG.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That boot doesn't look good. Do we know how long she will be out?
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:47 pm That boot doesn't look good. Do we know how long she will be out?
She didn't say, I'll post if I see an update, but definitely not looking good. And really rough with her just getting back to playing regularly again.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Agree. But, it is easy to make the call now, while during the match she did not know that it would be this severe.
I still applaud her for finishing the match.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And, get ready for Zverev's withdrawal from the entire Grass court season, at a minimum. They showed the fall and therefore the rolling ankle several times down here, and even if he does not have any ligaments' damage, that ankle will not be ready for weeks.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Still of Zverev injury. Video is in the RG tournament thread

meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:And, get ready for Zverev's withdrawal from the entire Grass court season, at a minimum. They showed the fall and therefore the rolling ankle several times down here, and even if he does not have any ligaments' damage, that ankle will not be ready for weeks.