Injury and Illness

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Injury and Illness

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:01 am I don't want to be a spoil sport but over the last year hasn't every part of her body been "injured"? Either she is, as Bellis is, unable to play pro level tennis or she needs to start putting in the work that would make her fit enough to do so.

I suspect a coaching change soon too. Tursunov did not look happy during her last match.
Some people just can't stand the stress.
Krajicek, for all his great smooth game, was an injury machine. He was out for extended periods at least 9 times.
Phillipoussis also spent many, many periods out due to injury.
CeCe Bellis as we just said.
Graf. It only makes her achievements more outstanding. She spent a lot of time injured (when she came back, she was excellent, of course).
Andres Gomez was injured a lot.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:01 am I don't want to be a spoil sport but over the last year hasn't every part of her body been "injured"? Either she is, as Bellis is, unable to play pro level tennis or she needs to start putting in the work that would make her fit enough to do so.

I suspect a coaching change soon too. Tursunov did not look happy during her last match.
Of course there will be another coaching change or two the year. :)

Some say the injuries are a function of her body adjusting to top-tier play so abruptly, but she loses so early that she hasn't played a ton of matches. She would have probably played a lot more if she was playing ITF and 250s every week instead. But maybe the rigors of the travel, the training, the expectations, the high level of opponents have been a steep physical learning curve. Waiting to see... It certainly has been about the worst sophomore year one could imagine, but there might be a silver lining. Now she can play without as much expectation.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:18 pm

Some say the injuries are a function of her body adjusting to top-tier play so abruptly, but she loses so early that she hasn't played a ton of matches. She would have probably played a lot more if she was playing ITF and 250s every week instead. But maybe the rigors of the travel, the training, the expectations, the high level of opponents have been a steep physical learning curve. Waiting to see... It certainly has been about the worst sophomore year one could imagine, but there might be a silver lining. Now she can play without as much expectation.
No... she can't play without as much expectation - because she is not playing the rest of the year due to injuries!

Many people were saying that she'll be better once the U.S. Open passes this year, as her ranking will fall, and she'll be able to find her game in smaller tournaments that have a spotlight that's less bright.
But now she's not even doing that.

There is ALWAYS some sort of problem; always some type of excuse. That's not good.
This is more of a soap opera than it is a tennis career, it seems.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:18 pm ...

Swallow your pride. Go back to the coach (and team) that took you to a USO title. You have all of the rest of this year to heal.
Get a sponsorship with FUTURO. They'll build a Swarovski wrist band for her.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I'm going with not training enough/properly, all the hallmarks are there. Her distractions will keep her from winning which will take those distractions away.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And the rhythm thing that Megan mentions. If you lose in 1R or 2R all the time, you don't get the real rhythm to get your body used to play, at least, every other day.
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

EMMA RADUCANU SPLITS WITH COACH DMITRY TURSUNOV, BRINGS ON FITNESS TRAINER JEZ GREEN
https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/em ... -jez-green
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

I just read today on a WTA article that Halep is out for the rest of the year after nose surgery to correct a breathing issue, which was news to me.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Correct a breathing issue, and a little re-touch.
It was posted somewhere in the forum.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

NO CARLITOS IN TURIN!
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

As I said - now he's trying far too much to be like his idol and role model Nadal...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If there is nothing broken, she has next week to recover.
A sad turn, but let's hope she can play in Melbourne.