Injury and Illness

Our main board to talk about our sport
3mlm United States of America

Re: Injury and Illness

Post by 3mlm »

JTContinental wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:03 pm I thought she suffered from endometriosis?
She does and has had surgery for it.

She also was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2019.
October 10, 2019

Danielle Collins reveals diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis

The American is determined to manage the condition and continue her tennis career following treatment.

By WTA Staff

Danielle Collins has begun treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, a chronic inflammatory condition that causes pain and swelling in the body's joints.

The American, 25, who is the WTA World No.33 and reached the Australian Open semifinals in January, becomes the second leading WTA player to be diagnosed with RA in the past two seasons following Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki.

Read more: Caroline Wozniacki diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis

“I have not been feeling all that great for quite some time, but it has been somewhat of a relief and completely validating to understand the cause behind my pain,” Collins wrote on Instagram.

“As I have started treatment, I am looking forward to embracing this next challenge in life. Without a doubt, every healthy day is a gift and I am one hundred percent committed to keeping strong and continuing to battle on and off the tennis court.

“While I don’t know for sure what my journey to recovery will be, I do know that I feel really positive about getting back on the court.

“I feel like now I can get better and address my body’s needs in fighting this disease.”
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Damn a double whammy
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Rheumatoid Arthritis, I can't imagine having that even if you weren't a Professional Tennis player. Being a Tennis player and having it has to be just absolutely awful.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Though not the same auto-immune disease as Venus, I wonder if those 2 have ever spoken to each other about how they manage their respective diseases and share things that have helped them with their conditions.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Not an injury. But Zverev has revealed that he suffers from Diabetes Type I, since childhood.
He has started a foundation for youth diabetes.
He is puzzling. We know of the bad parts; and then he does this. I am wondering if all the new generation are a bit more complex that we give them credit for.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:28 pm Not an injury. But Zverev has revealed that he suffers from Diabetes Type I, since childhood.
He has started a foundation for youth diabetes.
He is puzzling. We know of the bad parts; and then he does this. I am wondering if all the new generation are a bit more complex that we give them credit for.
He's only publicly admitting what he kinda sorta denied for a long time. Ben revealed this a few years ago and while he didn't deny it he didn't confirm it either.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I missed that announcement. Still, good for him to put money into such a foundation.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Poor Daria Saville tore her ACL in her match against Osaka, so she's probably done for the rest of the year. She was playing well and recovering her ranking nicely from her previous injury.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

An torn ACL means she will be done for the year, AND a long stretch of next. A really hard rehab process. Indeed, very bad news for her.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I guess it was just a matter of time before someone took the title of 'Most Physically Fragile Player' away from Bianca...

Congratulations, Emma!
:roll:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Maybe her body really cannot withstand this sport. Cece Bellis could not, and there have been others.
That would be bad for the sport.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I don't want to be a spoil sport but over the last year hasn't every part of her body been "injured"? Either she is, as Bellis is, unable to play pro level tennis or she needs to start putting in the work that would make her fit enough to do so.

I suspect a coaching change soon too. Tursunov did not look happy during her last match.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Does anyone know what Emma's history is with injuries/withdrawals/match retirements PRIOR to Wimbledon, 2021?

Andreescu had a reputation of being often injured going back to Junior tennis.
R.I.P. Amal...