by JazzNU Kiki missing the Aussie Open as expected, but coming along in her rehab

by meganfernandez Is this the quad injury that she sustained during the match with Errani at the French? When Bertens left the court in a wheelchair and returned to win in 3, then Errani accused her of faking it, mocked her by limping, and shouted "go f--- yourself"?
JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:23 pm Kiki missing the Aussie Open as expected, but coming along in her rehab

by ponchi101 I missed that story. It changes my opinion on Errani soooooooooooooo much...

by Liamvalid I watched that match, Errani’s behaviour was disgusting. I felt so bad for Bergen’s getting carted off at the end

by ponchi101 Carlos Bernardes reportedly had a heart attack in Melbourne. Rushed to the hospital. Let's hope is not more serious than it already is.

by Deuce
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:21 pm Carlos Bernardes reportedly had a heart attack in Melbourne. Rushed to the hospital. Let's hope is not more serious than it already is.
He seems like a nice guy. I hope the players can get their best wishes to him somehow, and that he comes through it.

Melbourne is not a friendly place for officials. Charlie Whiting 2 years ago, and now Carlos...

by mmmm8 He's a very nice person. Crossing my fingers for a speedy recovery.

by ti-amie Wishing Carlos the best!

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Right now, I will not even pick her for the first round of the SP. This extended lay off is too much.

by Fastbackss Ugh - she was getting crazy odds for not having played a match in eons. I was going to pick against her , but felt bad and didn't. "Emotions have no place in betting."

I hope she recovers as I like her sass and play.

by ponchi101
Fastbackss wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:26 am Ugh - she was getting crazy odds for not having played a match in eons. I was going to pick against her , but felt bad and didn't. "Emotions have no place in betting."

I hope she recovers as I like her sass and play.
And for those of us that speed read everything, talk about a double stare... ;)

by JazzNU Her statement makes it sound like they just want to focus on the Aussie Open and that she's not actually injured or suffering a setback, that because of the hard quarantine, taking the extra time if what her team decided. But she hasn't played in over a year, hasn't been in a major tournament in more like 15 months I think, so this doesn't seem like the best plan, that you'd want her to warm up for the bigger event and not just have it be practice. Which makes me doubt that everything is okay.

And not for nothing, but the other thing that makes me doubt everything is okay is that she was in training in Dubai ahead of the other tournament, and didn't see fit to enter that tournament either. Hope they are just being overly cautious.

by ponchi101 She needs to get a sponsorship with Bubble Wrap. I can so picture the commercial with her playing completely covered in the stuff.

by JazzNU She's in the field for the tournament in Adelaide too. I'd imagine that is now firmly in doubt.

by ti-amie I missed that Konta retired from her match.
Venus should have. Her problem was not so much the ankle but the knee that buckled on her a couple of times after she decided she would finish the match. Apparently the knee had already been giving her problems.

by ponchi101 She had enough wraps on that knee to embalm a mummy.

by JazzNU I'm sure medicine in Australia is great, but something requiring surgery away from home has got to be even more scary.

by JazzNU Dasha's Achilles tendon surgery went well.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Ok. This sport is simply not for her. She played two matches and she gets injured again.
It is terribly sad, but I find it hard to draw any other conclusion. Reminds me of the NBA's Ralph Sampson. His body simply could not take it. Seems like Bianca's can't either.

by JTContinental She did play a tournament last week too where she made the semifinals. So far, her injury trajectory seems to be on par with someone like Nishikori.

by ponchi101 I forgot that she did play that tournament. The comparison with Nishikori is spot on. Two tournaments, two months off.

by JazzNU I don't think missing the next 3 tournaments is the biggest deal. I have the feeling she won't be the only one actually. A surprising number skipped out on Adelaide. And I'm thinking now that this won't be it, think the travelling and quarantining in a pandemic is more of a drain than some think. Now, if she misses Miami, then I'll think this is yet another injury that will sideline her for awhile.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a good sign given how many injuries she has had. But it's the end of February now and what this essentially means is that she won't be travelling to the Middle East in the next few days and spending the next 2 weeks there before returning to North America in time for the Miami Open to start. Educated guess says she just returned to Canada yesterday. This isn't the biggest deal to me. Yet.

Also, I never liked this swing of the schedule in non-pandemic times, so I might look at this differently.

by JazzNU Also, not to be too cynical, but Bianca can take the time off right now whether she's feeling great or needs a bit of time to heal. Barring any additional extension, Miami will the first tournament where those 2019 points she's been skating on have to be part of the calculation.

by ti-amie The same situation with the points holds for Barty too and yet she's playing after her disastrous Australian Open. There is no reason for me to doubt Andreescu hurt herself in some shape, form or fashion. The optics of this are terrible though. Some are saying she's the Delpo of the WTA and I strongly disagree. We've seen enough post op and rehab pics of him to know what injuries he's carrying. All we're getting from Andreescu is her agent saying she's got a "lower body issue". I think the sport and her fans are owed a better explanation.

by JazzNU I don't think we're owed an explanation, but I don't think this approach does her any good. She has definitely lost fans in the last year and some of that is how forthright she's been. When she doesn't say much, there's a lot of questions and negative comments on unrelated posts. When she's provides more updates, the comments tend to be overwhelming supportive.

As for Ash. One, I have no idea if she'd play the next 3 weeks if her home was in North America. I have my doubts. And two, I don't think they are in the same boat. Ash was similarly off the last year, but I remember Ash playing a full 2019 schedule or if she didn't, missing very little. The same can't be said for Bianca.

Disastrous Aussie Open? Is that the thinking on Ash's showing?

by ti-amie The draw was set up for Ash to make the final. She didn't.

by ponchi101 Disastrous last match I would agree. 6-1 2-0 and then that score... Not very championly.

by JazzNU

by Deuce Andreescu has become a parody of herself.
As I wrote in the Doha thread... it would be better to only mention the tournaments that she actually PLAYS. It would save time.

Either that, or we re-name this topic 'Bianca Andreescu Et Al...'.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:14 am
That's the way to fly. Qatar Airlines 1st class. I have only flown business in their flights and it was one of those in which I was praying "please, just never land. Never!"
Good for her.

by JazzNU

by ti-amie I'm glad it went well. Knee surgery is tricky though.

by JazzNU Agreed. And there was a match where she won, and then was darn near on the ground soon after where it presumable hurt to put weight on it. It didn't seem necessarily minor, so let's hope this "small" surgery was enough to fix things so it can heal properly.

by JazzNU Donna put up some stuff on her Stories today. She's basically taking her first steady steps right now, but those steps are aided. Think it's safe to say we won't see her before the clay court season.

by ti-amie

by JazzNU Haven't seen a update from her, but Sofia Kenin looks to be doing very well with her recovery. She's been practicing at Evert Tennis Academy with other players, so all positive signs that she may even be ready for Miami.

by JTContinental Del Potro is having yet another knee surgery

by Suliso He really ought to call it a career at this point. Playing tennis is great, but being able to walk to the grocery store pain free at age 50 is even more important.

by ti-amie

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:24 pm He really ought to call it a career at this point. Playing tennis is great, but being able to walk to the grocery store pain free at age 50 is even more important.
I think we'll be saying the same about Andreescu soon enough...

by ponchi101 Hope you are wrong but... we will see at Miami. We know by now that the loss at Australia was not that bad (Hsieh beat several good players so Bianca did not lose to a tail-less mouse) but in Miami she should make a couple of rounds.

by JazzNU Bianca has looked good from what she's posted. No strappings while practicing recently. To me, it's not about Miami. I mean, hopefully she'll play well and be happy with the results there and in Charleston. But I'm more wondering will she still be around in 2023 at the ripe old age of 22. I hope her body isn't breaking down so much that she'll just have to retire that kind of early. We shall she. But I don't see how she can keep with her current pattern of injuries and that not be what happens.

by Deuce This is not a recent thing with Bianca - her body has been 'breaking down' since juniors.
It simply seems that her body cannot withstand the rigours of tennis. Perhaps her body would be fine with some other sports, but this has been going on long enough now to say that her body cannot withstand tennis.

She has just hired a 'miracle worker' fitness guy - obviously in the hope that he can change the pattern. But it's unlikely that he'll be able to overcome the forces of nature.

by JTContinental Wawrinka had a minor and unspecified surgical procedure on his foot, and will be out for the next few weeks.

by JazzNU

by ponchi101 He and Murray must pay some amazing insurance premiums.

by the Moz I hope we get some cheeky hospital Insta pics :lol: :lol:

by JazzNU
the Moz wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:33 pm I hope we get some cheeky hospital Insta pics :lol: :lol:

He's posting from his hospital room, but you gotta check his Stories to see it.

by ti-amie Simona Halep withdraws from Miami Open with shoulder injury
12:20 PM ET

MIAMI -- No. 3-seeded Simona Halep withdrew from the Miami Open before her third-round match Saturday because of a right shoulder injury.

"I wanted to come here to give my best and play many matches, but unfortunately I can't," Halep said in a statement.

Halep earned her 400th career win with a comeback victory over Caroline Garcia in the second round. She had been scheduled to meet Anastasija Sevastova, who advanced to the fourth round.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/ ... der-injury

by ti-amie

by JazzNU

by Fastbackss That's tough. My first gf had it, to the point doctors weren't sure she would be able to (one day) carry a child.

It would affect her unpredictably. Some days she would barely be mobile. I can't imagine her trying to play professional tennis

by JTContinental That might explain the wildly random scorelines in her matches this year.

by JazzNU She has rheumatoid arthritis as well and it took her I think she said a year to try to get used to managing it and play her best. I'm not sure if it's both that she's been struggling with recently or just this.

by mmmm8
JazzNU wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:32 am She has rheumatoid arthritis as well and it took her I think she said a year to try to get used to managing it and play her best. I'm not sure if it's both that she's been struggling with recently or just this.
I didn't know this. With the pain, stress and hormonal irregularity she must carry between these issues, have to cut her some slack on her irritability on-court.

by JazzNU Wonderful!

Translation for those who need it - So excited to be training again! Thank you for all the love you give me.

by ponchi101 Good news indeed. If she as much as steps on a court, it will be quite the statement. I hope so.

by ti-amie

by JazzNU

by ponchi101 Enough to bring a tear to the eye. Happy for her :clap: :clap: :clap:

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Calf tear, at that level of competition, is one month. It will be difficult for her to be ready for RG.

by Liamvalid That’s awful. I watched a bit of the match and Kerber had no chance. Can’t believe she’s through

by Deuce Kerber was playing much better in the 2nd set - the 2nd set was a total toss-up at the time it ended.

Halep's injury was bizarre. I saw absolutely no indication of it until she could barely walk.
It wasn't like she was running for a ball when it happened - she was basically immobile, returning serve. By all appearances, it seemed like it was a cramp - because cramps just suddenly creep up on you at any given moment, whereas muscle tears almost always occur when exerting the muscle in question beyond its physical capacity.

Even the pain she seemed in seemed very consistent with a cramp. I was fully expecting her to ride it out over the course of a couple of minutes, while hydrating and eating a banana, and come back to the court.
Quite strange.

Have to say, as well, that Kerber was quite nice to Halep when it happened. At first, Kerber was kind of in shock, because the pain seemed so severe. But then she got a chair for Halep to rest her leg on, brought some ice for her leg, and stayed with her throughout the 10-15 minutes it took. Then, when it was time for them to leave the courts, she packed Halep's racquets into her bag and carried the bag for a bit before giving it to what seemed to be a masked Darren Cahill.

by meganfernandez I was wondering what's going on with Danielle Collins, having not seen her in the clay court tournaments. She had surgery 7 weeks ago and plans to come back at RG, where she made the QF last year and lost to Kenin.

by JazzNU

by ti-amie Endometriosis is no joke for a woman. I wish Collins the best.

Borna also has back issues. Wishing him the best.

by meganfernandez Shapo out of RG with a bum shoulder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Deuce Rap-induced injury, or simply decided that Roland Garros wasn't offering enough prize money to be worth the effort?

Or perhaps he had booked a recording studio for the same time, and it can't be changed?

by ptmcmahon He dropped the mic too hard!

by meganfernandez
ptmcmahon wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:52 pm He dropped the mic too hard!
On his foot! :)

by JTContinental Taylor Fritz tore a meniscus on match point during his R2 match and needs surgery. He's hoping to be back for Wimbledon.

by ti-amie

by 3mlm
JTContinental wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:39 am Taylor Fritz tore a meniscus on match point during his R2 match and needs surgery. He's hoping to be back for Wimbledon.
He'll need a lot of hope!

by JTContinental
ti-amie wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:43 am
Koepfer is the black widow of the men's draw

by Liamvalid What are peoples thoughts on this? Is it ok to pull out of a tournament to save yourself for an upcoming one? If he does pull out, should Koepfer be allowed to take his spot in the draw?

by ponchi101 No. Koepfer lost. That is easy.
Federer has never retired from a match due to injury. I don't think he will retire due to "saving his knees". He might not play and invoke some minor injury, but will not be that blatant.

by JazzNU

by ponchi101
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:02 am No. Koepfer lost. That is easy.
Federer has never retired from a match due to injury. I don't think he will retire due to "saving his knees". He might not play and invoke some minor injury, but will not be that blatant.
Want to thank you all for not coming back to this topic and pointing out how dumb that post was :o
Man, that aged terribly. Like in one day.

by JTContinental
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:31 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:02 am No. Koepfer lost. That is easy.
Want to thank you all for not coming back to this topic and pointing out how dumb that post was :o
Man, that aged terribly. Like in one day.
Just like Roger! :mrgreen:

by JTContinental Wawrinka had a second surgery on his foot today

by ti-amie Quentin Moynet
@QuentinMoynet
Moya sur Nadal : "La tournée sur terre battue a été très difficile. Rafa a terminé épuisé. Il y a deux ans, il avait atteint un point de grande fatigue mentale dont il avait été très difficile de sortir et il a interprété qu'il en était à nouveau proche."
Translated from French by Google
Moya on Nadal: "The tour on clay was very difficult. Rafa finished exhausted. Two years ago he had reached a point of great mental fatigue from which it had been very difficult to get out and he interpreted that he was close to it again. "

https://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualite ... se/1264842

by JazzNU

by JazzNU Anything with the word detachment is just plain bad. Hope he gets well soon.

by 3mlm 5 weeks in a wrist splint and then rehabilitation? Sounds more like a few months than weeks.

by skatingfan It's been obvious that he's been injured for awhile now - hope he gets better soon.

by JazzNU
skatingfan wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:41 am It's been obvious that he's been injured for awhile now - hope he gets better soon.
This isn't a long term injury. His wrist popped in his match the other day.

by skatingfan
JazzNU wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:57 am This isn't a long term injury. His wrist popped in his match the other day.
Oh. Why has he been so bad for months then?

by JazzNU
skatingfan wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:06 am
JazzNU wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:57 am This isn't a long term injury. His wrist popped in his match the other day.
Oh. Why has he been so bad for months then?
He has struggled with the bubbles and he's been struggling with motivation after accomplishing the long sought after goal. Up until now, it's been mental, not physical. He's been open about it, you can read about it fairly easily. Unlike another certain case, the coverage has been very understanding and measured.

by ponchi101 True, but he also had some back issues at the Aussie.

by ti-amie I guess this should go here?

by Deuce It would be much better if she didn't address the 'haters' (I dislike that term - and it sounds rather juvenile).
Mentioning them just indicates that they have an effect on her - so it would be better to never mention them at all, then they'll go elsewhere to get attention.

by JazzNU Completely missed that Taylor needed to have surgery after getting wheeled off at RG. That's a remarkable recovery timeline no matter how minor the surgery.

by ponchi101 Curious here. Has there been any news about the injuries that have happened? Serena's, Mannarino's and Raducanu? What are the extent of the injuries and, in Raducanu's case, what happened?

by patrick Mannarino out 2 months

by ti-amie

by JTContinental
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:24 pm Curious here. Has there been any news about the injuries that have happened? Serena's, Mannarino's and Raducanu? What are the extent of the injuries and, in Raducanu's case, what happened?
Serena's injury was going to be reassessed once she got home, but initial tests indicated nothing too critical

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:09 pm
^ What a wonderful kid.
I felt so bad for her yesterday. Glad she is recovering.

I hope her statement shuts up the overzealous 'politically correct' people who were so incredibly critical of John McEnroe yesterday (in the typically hypocritical manner of overzealous proponents of 'political correctness' ), and who must deliberately and manipulatively 'misunderstand' things simply in order to blast someone - because otherwise, the criticism McEnroe received yesterday was completely ridiculous, bordering on insane.
McEnroe can be an ass at times - but what he said yesterday about Raducanu was A) empathetic, and B) very accurate (which Raducanu's statement today confirms). McEnroe has been around the pro game for almost half a century. He usually knows what's going on, and why.

by ti-amie I rarely, if ever, defend JMac but in this case I think what he said needed to be said. It may have affected how Raducanu's response was worded.

by Deuce To anyone watching that match who knows tennis, and takes into account Raducanu's age and inexperience, and the fact that she's British, it was very obvious what happened. It was clear that the moment overwhelmed her emotionally/psychologically. She was crying. She was hyperventilating...

The people jumping on McEnroe were saying ridiculous things like "How does he know she wasn't injured physically?", calling him a 'sexist', etc. The degree of ridiculousness was truly incredible.
I swear that these 'politically correct' people deliberately 'misunderstand' things - because it's very difficult to believe that anyone can be that ignorant as to honestly believe that McEnroe was attacking Raducanu, when he was in fact defending her, supporting her, and showing her a high degree of compassion.

I've said it before - the 'politically correct' movement, apart from being completely hypocritical, is the greatest threat to healthy and honest human relations within any society it infiltrates. It's an ugly plague.

by JazzNU This is very sweet from Marcus, makes me like him even more. He's a soccer/futbol player on England's national team and has semis of Euro 2020 tomorrow, so this must be getting an insane amount of coverage in England right now.

by Deuce She’s so genuine. I hope she stays that way.
And she’s bright, too - she’s got a good head on her shoulders.
I’m confident that she’ll be fine.

“I don't know what caused it. I think it was a combination of everything that has gone on behind the scenes in the last week and an accumulation of the excitement, the buzz, and I think it's a great learning experience for me going forward. It's a great step forward, and next time hopefully I’ll be better prepared.”

The most fans she had played in front of before Wimbledon was “Maybe about 100 people.”

From her interview with Sue Barker on the BBC today...

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:24 pm Curious here. Has there been any news about the injuries that have happened? Serena's, Mannarino's and Raducanu? What are the extent of the injuries and, in Raducanu's case, what happened?
So, a not so great sign is that Sloane is rehabbing her knee as well. She had a bad slip during her 2nd round match that made many of us watching wonder if she'd be able to continue. She was able to keep playing, but in her 3rd round match her knee was heavily taped.

She's now doing rehab on her knee, doesn't look like it'll be good to go in just a week's time. She's wearing a brace, not a sleeve, so it must need more support. Since she's one who could play on in her match, not exactly the best sign. We saw a lot of slips and falls, but I'm sure we missed quite a few as well, so it makes me wonder how many are dealing with small issues from them.

by JazzNU On the other hand, I'm truly not sure what "injury" Ostapenko was claiming to have when she suddenly sat down with an injury so severe against Ajla that she couldn't play another point until the trainer came out. But she's had a miraculous recovery from whatever it was, practicing without obvious signs of injury and no tapings or strappings of any kind. Also enjoying jet skiing in her time off.

by JTContinental Coco Gauff is back in action at an exo this week. She said she was mostly asymptomatic apart from a loss of smell, and that she had been scheduled to get her covid vax later that same week before heading to Tokyo.

by ti-amie What's the tl;dr on Raducanu's injury?

Jet skiing with an injury brought on by playing tennis? Okay.

I watched a set and a quarter of Sloane's match last night and she was moving fine. When was she injured?

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 It will be sad if both of them haver to retire due to injuries or physical conditions. But it looks like a possibility. :(

by ti-amie I'm reconciled to the fact that Rafa will need surgery to reconstruct his foot and that he may not return. It looks like an era is winding down slowly.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 So the USO had a poster with all the former champions that were going to play, and in which they forgot Cilic. They are down to: Novak, Murray and Cilic.

by ti-amie

by JTContinental Damn, poor Simona

by Suliso Rafael Nadal out for the reminder of 2021 season. Does he manage to hold on top 10 ranking anyway? Probably only because of the covid ranking system (#7 in the race).

by ponchi101 His statement is rather upbeat, which is good. Let's see how his rehab goes, although I thought he was bound for surgery. He says he feels like he has two good years of tennis left in him.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Rafa on crutches in 2004. It's amazing that he's accomplished so much.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Alcaraz also posted some news and after a visit to the doctor, he has some considerable injuries in his leg. GF found it, but I gather we will soon too.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:27 pm Alcaraz also posted some news and after a visit to the doctor, he has some considerable injuries in his leg. GF found it, but I gather we will soon too.
UGH

by texasniteowl
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:27 pm Alcaraz also posted some news and after a visit to the doctor, he has some considerable injuries in his leg. GF found it, but I gather we will soon too.
I was curious so had to look. His instagram says:
Today I have visited my doctor @drlopezmartinez for evaluation and diagnosis of my injury in @usopen. A fibrillar tear is confirmed in the vastus medialis and lateral quadriceps and an elongation in the adductor, so I have to rest for a few weeks and recover in order to reach Indian Wells with the best level. Thank you very much for the support!

by Deuce
texasniteowl wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:19 pm
Today I have visited my doctor @drlopezmartinez for evaluation and diagnosis of my injury in @usopen. A fibrillar tear is confirmed in the vastus medialis and lateral quadriceps and an elongation in the adductor, so I have to rest for a few weeks and recover in order to reach Indian Wells with the best level. Thank you very much for the support!
His English and Latin are both very good!

by skatingfan We still have this about it being 'brave' to finish the match in the face of injury, and Alcaraz was taking some criticism for retiring too early in the match because he didn't look injured. Turns out he knew his own body. Go figure.

by ti-amie

I'm not sure but I think he's saying he didn't have surgery on his foot and they tried something else? That's what one translation I saw said but of course I have no clue.

by dryrunguy Good grief. At first I thought that was Roger. You put a mask on either one of them, and it's very difficult to tell them apart.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Translation (Rafa's post):
Hello everybody, it has been some time without me communicating with you through social media.
To tell you that I was in Barcelona with my team and the medical team, to get some treatment in my foot that will require some days of rest and some weeks off the courts.
Back home and in recovery process.
Thanks everybody for your support.

by JazzNU Just an FYI if you're watching the Laver Cup and thinking "Roger looks great!" He does, but it's when he is sitting down. He's on crutches and moving slow, quite sad to see really given how many of us think of him. So hopefully a successful surgery, but definitely some time before he's back on court.

Also, I think this is why he didn't do an introduction to the crowd. When the Tennis Channel did an interview with him, he was standing, we got a full shot of him, talking to Jim Courier and his crutches where nowhere in sight.

by Omess
JazzNU wrote:Just an FYI if you're watching the Laver Cup and thinking "Roger looks great!" He does, but it's when he is sitting down. He's on crutches and moving slow, quite sad to see really given how many of us think of him. So hopefully a successful surgery, but definitely some time before he's back on court.

Also, I think this is why he didn't do an introduction to the crowd. When the Tennis Channel did an interview with him, he was standing, we got a full shot of him, talking to Jim Courier and his crutches where nowhere in sight.
Can’t imagine he will attempt a return before grass season if he does ( I personally don’t think so he will almost be 41)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by skatingfan He still using crutches - I think it will be 2023 if at all.

by ti-amie
skatingfan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:20 pm He still using crutches - I think it will be 2023 if at all.
I posted this in the Laver Cup thread but I realize it should be posted here too.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by JazzNU Borna Coric looks like he's set to return beginning of 2022 after having shoulder surgery earlier this year. Not sure if Aussie Open is in the cards for him since not sure if he's vaccinated (one would hope though).

by ponchi101 I would bet he has been injured for more than half of his career.

by JTContinental Elbow surgery for Tsitsipas, but he expects to be back in time for AO

by ti-amie
JTContinental wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:35 pm Elbow surgery for Tsitsipas, but he expects to be back in time for AO

From his FB.

by ti-amie I'm pretty sure there are plenty of nurses making sure he's comfortable and not in pain.

by skatingfan
ti-amie wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:24 am I'm pretty sure there are plenty of nurses making sure he's comfortable and not in pain.
Probably lots of doctors too.

by Deuce But is he well enough to go to the bathroom on his own?

by the Moz Did the doctors get coaching from his father during the surgery? And will there be a time limit on bathroom breaks while he re cooperates?

by ponchi101 uhm, just to defend him. He had surgery on HIS ELBOW. What was he expected to look like? Quadruple by-pass patient? Plus, this was certainly arthroscopic, which is minor.
Hope he indeed is ready for the Aussie. And the jokes about going to the bathroom or doctors being coached by his dad: :thumbsup:

by ptmcmahon I assume it was meant more in a ... :gorgeous: ... way :D

by ti-amie Karolina Pliskova is out of Adelaide and the AO.

by Deuce Do you think that she broke her wrist deliberately because she doesn't want to publicly reveal if she's vaccinated or not?
:D

by ti-amie
Deuce wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:47 pm Do you think that she broke her wrist deliberately because she doesn't want to publicly reveal if she's vaccinated or not?
:D

by JazzNU Maybe it's practice related, but she posted a photo of herself hiking the other day and didn't look like she had a cast then. Maybe she injured herself there. Could easily hurt something if you slipped on the jagged rocks on I saw in that photo.

by ti-amie
JazzNU wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:41 am Maybe it's practice related, but she posted a photo of herself hiking the other day and didn't look like she had a cast then. Maybe she injured herself there. Could easily hurt something if you slipped on the jagged rocks on I saw in that photo.

Or she decided that she may as well have some minor surgery she'd been postponing because she's not vaxxed and this is as good a time as any to have it done?

by JazzNU AP article on ESPN says she sustained a wrist injury during practice.

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:46 am ...

Or she decided that she may as well have some minor surgery she'd been postponing because she's not vaxxed and this is as good a time as any to have it done?
Ti! Don't got THAT small! Some of us are already in our second pair of bifocals!!! :kiss: :lol:

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:54 am
Ti! Don't got THAT small! Some of us are already in our second pair of bifocals!!! :kiss: :lol:

So you're saying that's the perfect size font to insult you in? Got it! 😜😃

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:54 am Ti! Don't got THAT small! Some of us are already in our second pair of bifocals!!! :kiss: :lol:
I just hit the quote function so I could read the text - but don't do that with JazzNu's post - you don't want to read that.

by ponchi101 I'll trust Skatingfan. I will not trust Jazznu. I will not trust JazzNu... ;)

by ashkor87 And her twin is out too..presumably, maternity leave...

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Good to see she is doing well, but a sad story. Too young to be forced to quit the sport. Wish her well.

by JTContinental Nishikori is having hip surgery

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:23 pm Nishikori is having hip surgery
Hope he has Murray's doctor

by Liamvalid Anyone know if Hyeon Chung is still out injured? Almost 4 years to the day he made the semis here

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:05 pm Anyone know if Hyeon Chung is still out injured? Almost 4 years to the day he made the semis here
Oh man, what a reversal of fate. He hasn't played since late 2020 - I looked it up - and it wasn't pretty, with a bunch of consecutive R1 losses in challengers. At the 2019 USO, he beat Verdasco in a five-set thriller on an outer court, late at night. I had to watch from the adjacent court because the house was full. And it was rocking - the police were even called to break up something in the stands. One of those lost-to-time matches .... I really liked Chung. He's 25 now.

by Liamvalid
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:50 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:05 pm Anyone know if Hyeon Chung is still out injured? Almost 4 years to the day he made the semis here
Oh man, what a reversal of fate. He hasn't played since late 2020 - I looked it up - and it wasn't pretty, with a bunch of consecutive R1 losses in challengers. At the 2019 USO, he beat Verdasco in a five-set thriller on an outer court, late at night. I had to watch from the adjacent court because the house was full. And it was rocking - the police were even called to break up something in the stands. One of those lost-to-time matches .... I really liked Chung. He's 25 now.

Yeah I liked him too, thought he was going to be a top player

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Dumb thought of the day:
You don't want to get injured. BUT, if you get injured, DON'T get injured on grass! Delpo, Roger and Serena had injuries on grass and it has taken this long to even think they might come back.
And it is supposedly the "easiest" surface.

by JazzNU But it's so awkward, slippery if there is even a touch of moisture and too dry, almost like dirt if it's warn down too much. I never understood the logic on it being easier or better in this respect. I've never played tennis on grass, but have played many other sports on it, mostly softball, but also soccer. There is a reason when you play other sports on grass you wear cleats, because without them, you're gonna slip and it's gonna be awkward at best, dangerous at worst. I've asked before why there isn't a specific tennis shoe for grass tournaments where there is some slight cleat, wondered if it was ever tested out as a possibility. There's nothing to plant on without them, you basically almost stumble in an awkward way with any wrong step. Not in the way it seems like it is on clay where you can glide or slide into it way more and either stop or catch yourself at least somewhat before it all goes wrong. I'm not sure of the injuries everyone is dealing with, but for damn sure, a moderate slip, let alone a bad one, on grass is a great way to f*** up your knee or ankle.

No idea why you think this is a dumb thought, seems like a good one to me.

by atlpam
JazzNU wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:02 pm But it's so awkward, slippery if there is even a touch of moisture and too dry, almost like dirt if it's warn down too much. I never understood the logic on it being easier or better in this respect. I've never played tennis on grass, but have played many other sports on it, mostly softball, but also soccer. There is a reason when you play other sports on grass you wear cleats, because without them, you're gonna slip and it's gonna be awkward at best, dangerous at worst. I've asked before why there isn't a specific tennis shoe for grass tournaments where there is some slight cleat, wondered if it was ever tested out as a possibility. There's nothing to plant on without them, you basically almost stumble in an awkward way with any wrong step. Not in the way it seems like it is on clay where you can glide or slide into it way more and either stop or catch yourself at least somewhat before it all goes wrong. I'm not sure of the injuries everyone is dealing with, but for damn sure, a moderate slip, let alone a bad one, on grass is a great way to f*** up your knee or ankle.

I thought they use shoes with special soles for the grass courts that have some type of dimples on the soles to help with traction.

by JazzNU
atlpam wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:20 pm
I thought they use shoes with special soles for the grass courts that have some type of dimples on the soles to help with traction.
I think I've seen what you're talking about and they didn't seem enough like actual cleats that would provide a way to plant and not fall if you hit a slippery spot to me. More like better traction, but always on top of the grass so still probably can't stop yourself from slipping. Maybe I haven't seen enough of them and there are deeper dimples that are like low cleats?

by Deuce
atlpam wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:20 pm I thought they use shoes with special soles for the grass courts that have some type of dimples on the soles to help with traction.
They do - but it only helps to a degree.
They obviously can't use spikes like in golf or cleats like in baseball/football/soccer, as, though it would offer much better footing, it would also rip up the grass with all the running, etc.
And players wouldn't be able to slide with more aggressive spikes. That could be dangerous, as many players in today's game slide into their groundstrokes on all surfaces, not just on clay anymore. With aggressive spikes, they could easily get caught and rip up a knee.
So the soles of grass court shoes pretty much have to be a balance - they need to provide grip and traction, but not too much.

Also, when the grass is wet (not necessarily just with rain, but also with humidity-caused dew), I think the dimples are virtually useless.

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:25 pm

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:02 pm But it's so awkward, slippery if there is even a touch of moisture and too dry, almost like dirt if it's warn down too much. I never understood the logic on it being easier or better in this respect. I've never played tennis on grass, but have played many other sports on it, mostly softball, but also soccer. There is a reason when you play other sports on grass you wear cleats, because without them, you're gonna slip and it's gonna be awkward at best, dangerous at worst. I've asked before why there isn't a specific tennis shoe for grass tournaments where there is some slight cleat, wondered if it was ever tested out as a possibility. There's nothing to plant on without them, you basically almost stumble in an awkward way with any wrong step. Not in the way it seems like it is on clay where you can glide or slide into it way more and either stop or catch yourself at least somewhat before it all goes wrong. I'm not sure of the injuries everyone is dealing with, but for damn sure, a moderate slip, let alone a bad one, on grass is a great way to f*** up your knee or ankle.

My idea is this. With the demise of serve and volley tennis, players are roaming the backcourt and are moving sideways. One of today's best ploys is to wrong foot the opponent, and the drop shot has become a more frequent go to stroke. So, when players run forward to get to a DS, they need to slam on the breaks and that can lead to their knees locking and bucking (the Delpo injury). When they are running sideways and get wrong footed, the same can happen.
Unless they find a way to have players play shorter points, these injuries are potentially there. And as said above: shoes with better traction will destroy the court. Shoes with no traction will not help at all. Is the surface outdated?

by JazzNU I don't know the solution, but I think it needs to be looked into. Looking at what soccer players and wide receivers in football use and coming up with something tennis specific for grass courts would seem the best approach to me. Soccer players typically use regular cleats still I think and there are some movements, but wide receivers, they typically need to stop and cut around a defender, they use low cleats many times, which is closer to what I'm thinking for tennis, like a bit lower than that. The low cleats are better for quick movements and obviously speed. But I don't know what they do for stopping.

But I'm really curious if it's even been looked into at all, or whether it's just, here's a shoe with more traction, when other sports are like, yeah, we need more than just traction on grass.

I think it's definitely an outdated surface, but I also don't think it's going anywhere at Wimbledon so you've got to try to come up solutions. Because it's not just the major injuries, every year it seems recently there are a decent number of near misses and minor injuries too. Feels like it's much more than we see at the other GS, I can't tell if it gets more focus or it happens more often. Sloane is a near miss I remember last year that looked awful but lucky wasn't serious, and though he's already back from it, Matteo injured himself at Wimbledon as well and it led to him missing the Olympics. There were several others like both of them.

by JTContinental The Wimbledon courts were particularly slippery last year. I remember seeing quite a few falls that looked like trouble.

by Deuce Grass is not an outdated surface.
Rather than jump to the easy conclusion of conveniently eliminating all things that are difficult, we should embrace them. It's called a challenge - and the challenge is for players to adapt their game to grass so that their play is efficient, and where there is no more risk of injury than on other surfaces.
This is the stuff that makes real champions - the ability to adapt to difficult situations and circumstances.

by ti-amie The four Slams each offer a different challenge to players, even the two hard court Slams. Of the three surfaces involved I have to say I enjoy grass the least but I've learned to appreciate what it requires especially after the European Spring hard court season.

I have always wondered why a shoe hasn't been developed that is somewhere between cleats and those little nubs tennis shoes have for the grass season.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:11 pm ... Sloane is a near miss I remember last year that looked awful but lucky wasn't serious, and though he's already back from it, Matteo injured himself at Wimbledon as well and it led to him missing the Olympics. There were several others like both of them.
I had forgotten about those two.
The only thing that I would add to what you are saying is that in soccer, it really makes very little difference if the grass is all ruptured since the ball is so big, and in the NFL, the ball is never supposed to touch it, so you don't have to account for bounces.
For sure Wimby is never going to change that surface, as it is what makes it special, but I say that as long as you play long points on grass, this "silly" slips will continue to happen with the proportional amount of injuries.
I gather it would take a reasonable number of players to speak out, or some serious and convincing data.

by Deuce Or Maxime Cressy to win it.
Then others might see that serve & volley ain't so bad, after all...

by meganfernandez Remember when players would roll their ankles on Rebound Ace because it was rubber and got sticky in the Melbourne heat? They eventually changed it to a cooler surface.

I don't think Wimbledon will ever change or that any player will ever speak out against the grass... at least not for a couple generations.

by ti-amie

by dmforever
ti-amie wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:34 am
Dang. I'm not surprised, but still, it's very sad news. I hope his post-tennis life is pain free.

Kevin

by meganfernandez In 2009, who would have thought Delpo would retire before Roger?
dmforever wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:05 am
ti-amie wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:34 am
Dang. I'm not surprised, but still, it's very sad news. I hope his post-tennis life is pain free.

Kevin

by New England Nitemare So true Megan. I feel so sad though. I know it's the right decision for him. Delpo has gone through so much with injuries and surgeries. One of the nicest, kindest guys out there!! One of my favorite players, ever!!

by ponchi101 He is rightfully beloved in Argentina, but after that news about him being in financial difficulties due to his father's mismanagement, I wonder what options he has now. He does not have a voice for TV commentator (he is very subdued) and I don't know if he can go for coaching. He certainly can teach anybody how to serve, but that forehand was very unique and worked because of his long arms. Still, he has a pretty good reputation back home.
I wish him the best. A truly nice gentleman of the sport.

by JazzNU I think he'll be fine. He's not starting from zero unless I missed something. He's appeared to have a very nice house, car, etc. I think he's still got those things and hard to imagine he doesn't own those outright. And his reach is such that he's kept his sponsorship this entire time, no matter the injury or length of time away, so I would guess he continues to keep them for a bit at least. Several others have been in this position and I'd say his brand recognition is stronger in many ways. He's not just beloved in Argentina, he's seriously famous, he moves the needle there in ways the brands value. After all this time and all these injuries and despite how well Diego has done over the years (and how adorable he is), he's nowhere near as famous as Delpo. It's likely he'll have to figure something out, where he never had to work a day again before if he didn't want to, but I think he'll be okay.

I have no idea how good of friends he is with Roger or Rafa, but a limited exhibition tour in a few cities with one or both would probably be plenty to really give him some breathing room financially for several years. Roger did an exhibition tour in Latin America a couple of years ago and Delpo was scheduled to be his opponent in those matches, so I think their relationship is good enough to plan that again if both are physically capable. I think Roger makes at least a couple million per match when he does those.

by ponchi101 Don't know about Roger but, while at the last USO, he was in the booth with the ESPN team and did mention that he kept in touch with Rafa, who was very supportive. He has spoken in the past about how both of them have stayed in touch when one or the other had an injury. So they are, at a minimum, "professionally" close.
A stint here and there at the academy is not out of the question.

by ponchi101 Rafa out for 4-6 weeks with a cracked rib. Monte Carlo, Barcelona and possibly Madrid out of the calendar. RG now looks open for somebody else.
How on earth did he crack a rib? He is not playing American football, he is not in a rodeo. And cracked ribs simply don't heal like other bones; there is no bandaging or immobilization possible. I once had one and you basically have to stand still all day. Any movement can crack it open again.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:02 pm Rafa out for 4-6 weeks with a cracked rib. Monte Carlo, Barcelona and possibly Madrid out of the calendar. RG now looks open for somebody else.
How on earth did he crack a rib? He is not playing American football, he is not in a rodeo. And cracked ribs simply don't heal like other bones; there is no bandaging or immobilization possible. I once had one and you basically have to stand still all day. Any movement can crack it open again.

That proves it - he has been laughing violently about the Novaxx situation since January. Finally hurt himself.

by ti-amie Rafa Nadal
@RafaelNadal
Hola todos, quería anunciaros que he vuelto a España y fui enseguida a visitar a mi equipo médico para hacerme las pruebas tras la final de Indian Wells que jugué con molestias.
Translated from Spanish by Google
Hello everyone, I wanted to announce that I have returned to Spain and I immediately went to visit my medical team to do the tests after the Indian Wells final that I played with discomfort.

Al final resulta que tengo una fisura por estrés en una de las costillas y estaré entre 4 y 6 semanas de baja. No son buenas noticias y no me esperaba esto. Estoy hundido y triste porque tras el inicio de temporada que he tenido tan buena.
As it turns out, I have a stress crack in one of my ribs and will be out for 4-6 weeks. This is not good news and I did not expect this. I am sunk and sad because after the start of the season I have had such a good time.

Llegaba a una parte muy importante del año con muy buenas sensaciones y buenos resultados. Pero bueno, siempre he tenido ese espíritu de lucha y superación y lo que sí haré es tener paciencia y trabajar duro tras mi recuperación. Una vez más agradecer a todos el apoyo.
I reached a very important part of the year with very good feelings and good results. But hey, I've always had that fighting and overcoming spirit and what I will do is be patient and work hard after my recovery. Once again thank everyone for the support.

by meganfernandez I wonder how much conditioning he will lose.

by JTContinental
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:02 pm Rafa out for 4-6 weeks with a cracked rib. Monte Carlo, Barcelona and possibly Madrid out of the calendar. RG now looks open for somebody else.
Particularly a stress fracture, because whatever caused that is a repeated action

by Deuce I had a cracked rib once from being hit with a 95 mph baseball. It's the only time in my life that I consciously tried to avoid laughing, because that is what caused the most pain.
Normally, while injured, you look for positive things to occupy your thoughts - and there's little that is more positive than laughter. Imagine seeing laughter as something painful and to be avoided!

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:37 pm I wonder how much conditioning he will lose.
A lot. Forget about doing any weights. Forget about any aerobics (your breathing will re-injure you). Forget about elastics, forget about doing anything core related.
He will recover 100%, for sure. But until it has healed, he basically can play parcheesi with Xisca. I am not joking: I doubt he can even fish.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:37 pm I wonder how much conditioning he will lose.
A lot. Forget about doing any weights. Forget about any aerobics (your breathing will re-injure you). Forget about elastics, forget about doing anything core related.
He will recover 100%, for sure. But until it has healed, he basically can play parcheesi with Xisca. I am not joking: I doubt he can even fish.
It’s the fishing that hurts the most.

by Fastbackss
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:02 pm
How on earth did he crack a rib? .
I surmise the shorts were too tight.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Novax will pass Steffi for most weeks at #1 all time... by default :cry:

by ti-amie Internazionali Bnl
@InteBNLdItalia
#Berrettini non ci sarà agli #IBI22: l'annuncio sui social dopo l'operazione alla mano.

"Non partecipare a Roma, è stata una decisione difficile che tuttavia ritengo essere quella giusta per poter tornare ai massimi livelli."

Ti aspettiamo il prossimo anno, Matteo!

Translated from Italian by Google
#Berrettini there will be no #IBI22 : the announcement on social media after the operation in hand.

"Not taking part in Rome, it was a difficult decision which, however, I believe to be the right one to be able to return to the highest levels."

We look forward to seeing you next year, Matteo!

by dryrunguy Broken heart?

by ti-amie I think it has to do more with that abdominal issue he's been struggling with.

by texasniteowl He had surgery on his right hand a week ago or so. https://www.si.com/tennis/2022/03/29/ma ... own-return

by Deuce
texasniteowl wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:39 am He had surgery on his right hand a week ago or so.
Given the recent break-up, there's a joke in there ^ somewhere...
:oops: :D

by texasniteowl
Deuce wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:56 am
texasniteowl wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:39 am He had surgery on his right hand a week ago or so.
Given the recent break-up, there's a joke in there ^ somewhere...
:oops: :D

by dryrunguy Damn. Deuce beat me to it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

by meganfernandez
dryrunguy wrote:Damn. Deuce beat me to it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You said “beat.”

by dryrunguy
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:27 am
dryrunguy wrote:Damn. Deuce beat me to it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You said “beat.”

I HAD to figure out a way to work a joke in.

by Deuce We're all going to be sent to the principal's office if we continue to be jerks about this...
:o

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Suspended suspension.
Suspended suspension.
Suspended suspension.
Suspended suspension. All of you.
(We are following ATP guidelines here. And frankly, I had 4 good laughs ;) )

by meganfernandez After getting nailed in the head with a smash at clinic tonight, I needed all those laughs. :)

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Well. JazzNu mentioned it in the Roma topic. I had not been paying attention to this pattern. Maybe that body is not strong enough for this sport.

by Deuce It would be very odd - and unexpected - if Raducanu's body is too fragile for tennis.
I know that she seems all prim and proper (it's largely the British accent that conveys this, I believe) - but she has never been the type to shy away from doing physically demanding things and getting dirty. She is kind of a 'tomboy' - doing motocross racing, go cart racing, etc. One would think that she's had her fair share of falls and bumps and bruises, and has come through them ok. So it would be rather strange if tennis becomes her actual physical undoing.

by ti-amie

by dmforever This made me cry. I'm glad she's doing OK all things considered. It speaks highly of her and Andy that they still have this kind of relationship after a divorce. Thanks for the post.

Kevin

by dmforever
ti-amie wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:54 am
Also, just an FYI. I just checked and this is I guess an old video. If you click on her account, it shows another video saying that she has finished her 6 chemo treatments.

Kevin

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Ok. If I get this straight, it flares up on him. It is not as if he got injured today. But that is even worse: you just don't know when it will strike.

by Deuce But he didn't 'retire' from the match.
Even though he was clearly nowhere near 100%... even though he was clearly in pain... even though him losing the match was a foregone conclusion in the 3rd set - he DID NOT QUIT.

A growing number of professional players should definitely start following his example, as more and more players are quitting in the middle of matches - or not even taking the court - unless absolutely everything is perfect. If they have so much as a hangnail today, they don't play.
Today's players are so spoiled that it has become pathetic.

So... the players of 30 years ago must have been superhuman, then, as quitting in the middle of a match back then was a VERY, VERY, VERY RARE occurrence.

by JTContinental I'm not in the camp of playing through a serious injury or illness as heroism; in fact, I think it is kind of...not smart.

I've never really felt that Nadal has managed injuries very well. He almost always comes back too early.

by Deuce
JTContinental wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:09 am I'm not in the camp of playing through a serious injury or illness as heroism; in fact, I think it is kind of...not smart.

I've never really felt that Nadal has managed injuries very well. He almost always comes back too early.
Despite almost never withdrawing or retiring from matches, players of 30, 40 years ago were no more likely to miss weeks/months because of injury than are players of today.
In fact, I'd say that players of the past missed weeks/months less frequently than today's players do.
And they didn't have all of the advanced training and conditioning equipment and methods that are available to today's players.

But the reasons that players quit (or withdraw) today often have very little to do with serious injury.

by Deuce “I imagine there will come a time when my head will say ‘Enough’... That is my reality. And there have been many days, like today, when the moment comes that I can’t do it... I play because it makes me happy, but the pain takes away that happiness.” ~ Rafael Nadal, May 12th, 2022.

by ponchi101 Tennis ultimate punk, young Andre Agassi, slowly got that lesson. He understood that it brings a bit of an aura to you, and that translates into a little pressure for your opponent. And sadly, he showed how much he had learned that lesson during his final match at RG. Playing against Paul Henri Matthieu, his chronic sciatic pain flared up. He knew he could not win, but toughed it out, limping to defeat. He almost won me over that year, especially because you could see he was in real pain but he wanted to walk off the court honorably.
The sport is not only about winning or losing. Substance still matters. I wonder how proud Federer is of the fact that he has never retired from a match. To me, it says a lot.

I hope Rafa can retire in his terms. It is already bad that Delpo is being forced to retire due to injuries. Roger looks that way. If Rafa also ends his career because of an injury, it would be sad to me.

by dmforever
JTContinental wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:09 am I'm not in the camp of playing through a serious injury or illness as heroism; in fact, I think it is kind of...not smart.

I guess in this case, a lot depends on whether playing makes his condition worse. If he's just as likely to be fine in a day or two because the foot issue flares up regardless of whether he plays or not, then he did the right thing. But if playing when his foot is hurting actually makes the condition worse, then he definitely should have retired, especially with RG right around the corner.

Kevin

by Liamvalid
dmforever wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:24 pm

I guess in this case, a lot depends on whether playing makes his condition worse. If he's just as likely to be fine in a day or two because the foot issue flares up regardless of whether he plays or not, then he did the right thing. But if playing when his foot is hurting actually makes the condition worse, then he definitely should have retired, especially with RG right around the corner.

Kevin
According to the comms yesterday, regular play actually helps with the foot pain, and it is usually worse for him when he’s coming back from a break. He did look agonised yesterday, but it’s hard to tell if it was from physical pain or the fact that it was going to stop him competing

by dmforever
Liamvalid wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:29 pm
dmforever wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:24 pm

Kevin
According to the comms yesterday, regular play actually helps with the foot pain, and it is usually worse for him when he’s coming back from a break. He did look agonised yesterday, but it’s hard to tell if it was from physical pain or the fact that it was going to stop him competing
I wonder about that. He's played a fair number of matches. Maybe "regular play" means having played for months or something. But that's good to know. It was not fun to watch. :(

Kevin

by Deuce I didn't think it was 'fun' to watch Nadal vs. Shapovalov... but it was enjoyable - and most of all, inspiring.
When a player is gutting it out like that, it's a good thing for the sport, and for everyone.
Sure, it's always unfortunate when someone is in pain. But there's an element more important than that.
Call it honour, call it pride, call it respect... whatever words are used, it's a positive thing.

I'd much, much rather witness what Nadal did vs. Shapovalov than see what Raducanu did vs. Andreescu (and vs. others, as well).

by JazzNU

by dave g
JazzNU wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:50 pm
This isn't going to help my Slide into Paris score at all. :roll:

by ti-amie Horrible

by ti-amie I remember how much promise Destanee showed a few years ago and now to read this. Echoing what the person who tweeted this out said: hopefully she will get all of the help she needs.

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:24 pm Horrible

I'm not familiar with her - but I'll be looking out for her at any tournament I'm at... and if i see her, I'll be sure to talk with her and encourage her as much as she allows me to.

It never ceases to amaze me how much internal pain people conceal from others.
There is a worrisome level of lack of trust in each other in this world. Some of it is warranted and justified, but some is a figment of people's imagination. People fear opening up to others - and the main fear by far is that those we open up to will simply not care - and that will make the person feel even worse.

The bottom line is that we need more decent, caring people on the planet.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Wow. I gather I am still stuck in my post of how tough this sport is on players' bodies. And it is not as if Pavs is a fragile-built player.
Hope she will recover soon.

by Deuce Yeah... the racquets they use today are significantly lighter than the racquets of 30, 40 years ago, so it must be that the balls are much, much heavier than they were in past generations for today's players to be injured much more often than yesterday's players.

One could argue that the game is more demanding now, because it's faster... I suppose that's legitimate.
But the fitness routines, technology, and equipment are also much better today than they were 30, 40 years ago. And back then, a lot of players didn't even do the fitness exercizes that were available. And they missed less time on court due to injury than today's players, they basically never retired during a match...

I'll stick with my theory that today's players are simply spoiled and less committed to the game than were the players of the past.
There's much more money in tennis today - including in the cheques the players receive. This, of course, is directly related to the comparative lack of commitment from the players.

As for Pavlyuchenkova... She'll be 31 years old in a couple of months. And she says she'll take the rest of the year off...
It would not surprise me if we've seen the last of her as a top player... and maybe the last of her, period.

by ponchi101 I didn't know that Krejcikova has not been playing due to an elbow injury. That is one of those that take a long time to heal, and then a lot of time to rehab. Seriously in doubt to defend RG.

by ti-amie

by JazzNU

by ponchi101 That boot doesn't look good. Do we know how long she will be out?

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:47 pm That boot doesn't look good. Do we know how long she will be out?
She didn't say, I'll post if I see an update, but definitely not looking good. And really rough with her just getting back to playing regularly again.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Agree. But, it is easy to make the call now, while during the match she did not know that it would be this severe.
I still applaud her for finishing the match.

by ponchi101 And, get ready for Zverev's withdrawal from the entire Grass court season, at a minimum. They showed the fall and therefore the rolling ankle several times down here, and even if he does not have any ligaments' damage, that ankle will not be ready for weeks.

by ti-amie Still of Zverev injury. Video is in the RG tournament thread

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:And, get ready for Zverev's withdrawal from the entire Grass court season, at a minimum. They showed the fall and therefore the rolling ankle several times down here, and even if he does not have any ligaments' damage, that ankle will not be ready for weeks.

by Deuce Muchova, Leylah, and Zverev all out of commission for at least several weeks it seems with foot/ankle problems incurred on the Roland Garros clay. Kudermetova also had a foot problem during Roland Garros - though it doesn't seem to be as serious as the other three.
Makes one wonder if the clay was significantly different this year. In the interview accompanying the article below, Leylah's father/coach says that the clay at Roland Garros was particularly sticky this year. It's still odd to get a stress fracture on clay, though, as clay is well known to be easier on the lower body (legs, knees, feet, ankles) in terms of impact than hard courts - and a stress fracture of the foot would likely be caused by repeated impact on a hard surface.

Leylah's dad/coach wanted her to stop playing in the Trevisan match. As he says in the interview - it's the parent side of him that is upset that she continued. And, as he also said - the fact that she didn't quit means that he raised her right. She is just as stubborn as he is, and that's why she didn't listen to him when he told her to stop. I knew he'd be rather conflicted with that - proud that she battled on... but also concerned and upset/angry that she battled on.

Article/interview here...
Fernandez to Miss Wimbledon With Stress Fracture...

by ashkor87 sad to hear.. I was looking at Leylah to win Wimbledon this year

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:sad to hear.. I was looking at Leylah to win Wimbledon this year
Dang really? Maybe US Open…

by ponchi101 Zverev posted on his IG account that "it seems" he has "several torn lateral ligaments" in his ankle. He is on his way to Germany for further diagnosis.
If that is the case, that takes about one year to recover. Klay Thompson (NBA) had that same injury and that was the time frame.
Truly terrible.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:09 pm Zverev posted on his IG account that "it seems" he has "several torn lateral ligaments" in his ankle. He is on his way to Germany for further diagnosis.
If that is the case, that takes about one year to recover. Klay Thompson (NBA) had that same injury and that was the time frame.
Truly terrible.

by meganfernandez
meganfernandez wrote:
ashkor87 wrote:sad to hear.. I was looking at Leylah to win Wimbledon this year
Dang really? Maybe US Open…

I think Gauff could do very well at Wimbledon.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Zverev confirms that he had surgery, to repair three ligaments in his right ankle.
Good luck with the rehab, but I gather we can count him out for the rest of the year?

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:28 pm Zverev confirms that he had surgery, to repair three ligaments in his right ankle.
Good luck with the rehab, but I gather we can count him out for the rest of the year?
That's my guess, at least for tour events. Maybe he plays Laver Cup as a little trial and for practice if he's cleared? I'm sure there's a lot of money at stake there.

by ti-amie I read that it's the same injury Klay Thompson had. I'm not sure he can even test it by playing a hit and giggle. I think he's out the rest of the year too.

by ti-amie

Rafa Nadal on crutches after completing the first part of the radiofrequency treatment on his foot.

The next few days will be key to see if he can play Wimbledon.

by ponchi101 And the guy still stops to sign autographs (Rafa).
About Zverev. Remember how long it took for Klay to recover from that injury (he had consecutive ones). Zverev may be out until the clay court season next year. It is a brutal injury.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

Wishing her all the best going forward.

by ponchi101 She has truly been through so much.

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:33 pm

Wishing her all the best going forward.

by JTContinental Dokic's resilience is amazing. She's one of the best on court interviewers there is, and I hope she can find some peace in her personal life.

by Cuckoo4Coco Madison Keys has to withdraw from this year's Wimbledon with an abdominal injury. She stated that she had to put her her health first and her body had to get back to 100%. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 You see? Those are the little details that tell you when somebody really love this silly game. Of course she can't train properly, but there's got to be something to do with a racquet... :clap:

by Deuce It looks like Leylah is doing that in a prison yard :D .
She probably feels somewhat imprisoned these days, as well :cry: ...

by Cuckoo4Coco God Leylah has great reflexes even on 1 foot.

by Deuce
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:53 pm God Leylah has great reflexes even on 1 foot.
That's nothing... Look what she cruelly does to these kids...

by Cuckoo4Coco
Deuce wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:21 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:53 pm God Leylah has great reflexes even on 1 foot.
That's nothing... Look what she cruelly does to these kids...

Running them all over the place. I bet those kids were having a blast with that.

by ti-amie

I'm glad that he spoke up as well.

by Cuckoo4Coco Mental illness is so important to speak out about because so many are living with it in silence. With the whole Covid thing and having to deal with quarantine in the recent past it was really tough not being able to get out onto the courts and doing the regular practice that I would get sad quite a bit. I also was going into my 9th grade year, not this past school year but the year prior to that and was really excited not only it was my first year in high school but going to be my first year of high school tennis. Covid screwed up that as well and made school online and cancelled the tennis season. I was really upset. I wasn't able to train except at home in my room with small weights and it was really a bummer. So these players speaking out about their difficulties is huge because it gives awareness to others who are dealing with this.

by ti-amie

by Cuckoo4Coco
ti-amie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:04 pm
What looks like two pieces of kinesio tape is all great and I am happy that got Rafa back out onto the court, but honestly there had to be more given to him in the locker room in term of some sort of medicine to get through the pain he was dealing with through the remainder of the match. Those two pieces of tape are great in tightening up the abs , but that is not going to cut the mustard on keeping the pain away through a few mores hours of playing tennis at a high level.

by ponchi101 Oh, for sure he got something more. I want to know what kind of pain-killers they get, because I want a burlap sack of them.
And those two kinesio tapes? To me, cosmetics. I really can't see how that helps. But, I am not a physio.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:30 pm Oh, for sure he got something more. I want to know what kind of pain-killers they get, because I want a burlap sack of them.
And those two kinesio tapes? To me, cosmetics. I really can't see how that helps. But, I am not a physio.
I guess it helps in some way. I got some on my foot when I injured it and it helped a little, but my foot was still uncomfortable. I don't know what painkillers they get , but it isn't just regular Tylenol like I would take because that doesn't do much.

by ponchi101 Kinesio tape will work great in a lot of circumstances. But there is a limit. Abd have no support structure to hold them firmly in place.
It is like when you break a rib. They can't put you in a cast because there is nothing to cast you too and immobilize the break.
---0---
ESPN reporting: Nadal has a 7 mm rupture in his ab.

by ti-amie

by JTContinental I’m sure Taylor Fritz appreciates this decision

by ti-amie

by Cuckoo4Coco Nadal must have been really hurting to not go on and like the post above he knew it would get worse if he continued. I suppose he wanted to be fully ready for the US Open.

by ptmcmahon Anti climatic finish for the men's SP now :)

by ponchi101 You all get your trophies, still :clap:

by Cuckoo4Coco
I love Leylah and I can't wait to get her back on the tour.

by ti-amie Danielle Collins has withdrawn from San Jose, where she is defending champion, and Toronto. I haven't seen a reason given yet but I think I read that she has a chronic illness. I know a few of us were saying that her most recent play was off.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ti-amie wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:32 pm Danielle Collins has withdrawn from San Jose, where she is defending champion, and Toronto. I haven't seen a reason given yet but I think I read that she has a chronic illness. I know a few of us were saying that her most recent play was off.
I thought her last two tournaments she played in a lost she didn't look right.

by 3mlm
ti-amie wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:32 pm Danielle Collins has withdrawn from San Jose, where she is defending champion, and Toronto. I haven't seen a reason given yet but I think I read that she has a chronic illness. I know a few of us were saying that her most recent play was off.
Like Wozniacki she has rheumatoid arthritis.

by ti-amie
3mlm wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:14 am
Like Wozniacki she has rheumatoid arthritis.
Thank you.

by JTContinental I thought she suffered from endometriosis?

by Cuckoo4Coco
JTContinental wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:03 pm I thought she suffered from endometriosis?
That is what she suffers from.

by 3mlm
JTContinental wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:03 pm I thought she suffered from endometriosis?
She does and has had surgery for it.

She also was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2019.
October 10, 2019

Danielle Collins reveals diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis

The American is determined to manage the condition and continue her tennis career following treatment.

By WTA Staff

Danielle Collins has begun treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, a chronic inflammatory condition that causes pain and swelling in the body's joints.

The American, 25, who is the WTA World No.33 and reached the Australian Open semifinals in January, becomes the second leading WTA player to be diagnosed with RA in the past two seasons following Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki.

Read more: Caroline Wozniacki diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis

“I have not been feeling all that great for quite some time, but it has been somewhat of a relief and completely validating to understand the cause behind my pain,” Collins wrote on Instagram.

“As I have started treatment, I am looking forward to embracing this next challenge in life. Without a doubt, every healthy day is a gift and I am one hundred percent committed to keeping strong and continuing to battle on and off the tennis court.

“While I don’t know for sure what my journey to recovery will be, I do know that I feel really positive about getting back on the court.

“I feel like now I can get better and address my body’s needs in fighting this disease.”

by JTContinental Damn a double whammy

by Cuckoo4Coco Rheumatoid Arthritis, I can't imagine having that even if you weren't a Professional Tennis player. Being a Tennis player and having it has to be just absolutely awful.

by Owendonovan Though not the same auto-immune disease as Venus, I wonder if those 2 have ever spoken to each other about how they manage their respective diseases and share things that have helped them with their conditions.

by ponchi101 Not an injury. But Zverev has revealed that he suffers from Diabetes Type I, since childhood.
He has started a foundation for youth diabetes.
He is puzzling. We know of the bad parts; and then he does this. I am wondering if all the new generation are a bit more complex that we give them credit for.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:28 pm Not an injury. But Zverev has revealed that he suffers from Diabetes Type I, since childhood.
He has started a foundation for youth diabetes.
He is puzzling. We know of the bad parts; and then he does this. I am wondering if all the new generation are a bit more complex that we give them credit for.
He's only publicly admitting what he kinda sorta denied for a long time. Ben revealed this a few years ago and while he didn't deny it he didn't confirm it either.

by ponchi101 I missed that announcement. Still, good for him to put money into such a foundation.

by JTContinental Poor Daria Saville tore her ACL in her match against Osaka, so she's probably done for the rest of the year. She was playing well and recovering her ranking nicely from her previous injury.

by ponchi101 An torn ACL means she will be done for the year, AND a long stretch of next. A really hard rehab process. Indeed, very bad news for her.

by ti-amie

by Deuce I guess it was just a matter of time before someone took the title of 'Most Physically Fragile Player' away from Bianca...

Congratulations, Emma!
:roll:

by ponchi101 Maybe her body really cannot withstand this sport. Cece Bellis could not, and there have been others.
That would be bad for the sport.

by ti-amie I don't want to be a spoil sport but over the last year hasn't every part of her body been "injured"? Either she is, as Bellis is, unable to play pro level tennis or she needs to start putting in the work that would make her fit enough to do so.

I suspect a coaching change soon too. Tursunov did not look happy during her last match.

by Deuce Does anyone know what Emma's history is with injuries/withdrawals/match retirements PRIOR to Wimbledon, 2021?

Andreescu had a reputation of being often injured going back to Junior tennis.

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:01 am I don't want to be a spoil sport but over the last year hasn't every part of her body been "injured"? Either she is, as Bellis is, unable to play pro level tennis or she needs to start putting in the work that would make her fit enough to do so.

I suspect a coaching change soon too. Tursunov did not look happy during her last match.
Some people just can't stand the stress.
Krajicek, for all his great smooth game, was an injury machine. He was out for extended periods at least 9 times.
Phillipoussis also spent many, many periods out due to injury.
CeCe Bellis as we just said.
Graf. It only makes her achievements more outstanding. She spent a lot of time injured (when she came back, she was excellent, of course).
Andres Gomez was injured a lot.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:01 am I don't want to be a spoil sport but over the last year hasn't every part of her body been "injured"? Either she is, as Bellis is, unable to play pro level tennis or she needs to start putting in the work that would make her fit enough to do so.

Of course there will be another coaching change or two the year. :)

Some say the injuries are a function of her body adjusting to top-tier play so abruptly, but she loses so early that she hasn't played a ton of matches. She would have probably played a lot more if she was playing ITF and 250s every week instead. But maybe the rigors of the travel, the training, the expectations, the high level of opponents have been a steep physical learning curve. Waiting to see... It certainly has been about the worst sophomore year one could imagine, but there might be a silver lining. Now she can play without as much expectation.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:18 pm

Some say the injuries are a function of her body adjusting to top-tier play so abruptly, but she loses so early that she hasn't played a ton of matches. She would have probably played a lot more if she was playing ITF and 250s every week instead. But maybe the rigors of the travel, the training, the expectations, the high level of opponents have been a steep physical learning curve. Waiting to see... It certainly has been about the worst sophomore year one could imagine, but there might be a silver lining. Now she can play without as much expectation.
No... she can't play without as much expectation - because she is not playing the rest of the year due to injuries!

Many people were saying that she'll be better once the U.S. Open passes this year, as her ranking will fall, and she'll be able to find her game in smaller tournaments that have a spotlight that's less bright.
But now she's not even doing that.

There is ALWAYS some sort of problem; always some type of excuse. That's not good.
This is more of a soap opera than it is a tennis career, it seems.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:18 pm ...

Swallow your pride. Go back to the coach (and team) that took you to a USO title. You have all of the rest of this year to heal.
Get a sponsorship with FUTURO. They'll build a Swarovski wrist band for her.

by Owendonovan I'm going with not training enough/properly, all the hallmarks are there. Her distractions will keep her from winning which will take those distractions away.

by ponchi101 And the rhythm thing that Megan mentions. If you lose in 1R or 2R all the time, you don't get the real rhythm to get your body used to play, at least, every other day.

by 3mlm

EMMA RADUCANU SPLITS WITH COACH DMITRY TURSUNOV, BRINGS ON FITNESS TRAINER JEZ GREEN
https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/em ... -jez-green

by JTContinental I just read today on a WTA article that Halep is out for the rest of the year after nose surgery to correct a breathing issue, which was news to me.

by ponchi101 Correct a breathing issue, and a little re-touch.
It was posted somewhere in the forum.

by ti-amie

by JazzNU

by ti-amie NO CARLITOS IN TURIN!

by Deuce As I said - now he's trying far too much to be like his idol and role model Nadal...

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 If there is nothing broken, she has next week to recover.
A sad turn, but let's hope she can play in Melbourne.

by ponchi101 Reports that Carlitos will not be able to play next week, or the Aussie.
Major blow to the event.

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:09 pm Reports that Carlitos will not be able to play next week, or the Aussie.
Major blow to the event.

by ti-amie NOOOOOOO!

by ashkor87 Now Venus is out too..

by ti-amie

by JazzNU Was anything posted about Caroline Garcia talking about her eating disorder? Trying not to duplicate, but not sure I looked in the right places. Let me know if nothing's been posted about it yet and I'll post it.

by ponchi101 First I have heard of it. I think you have the scoop.

by JazzNU Here is an AP article about it.

World No. 4 Caroline Garcia opens up on her eating problems

BRUSSELS (AP) — Caroline Garcia says she had to deal with bulimia for a spell, triggered by losses and pain from a lingering foot injury that affected her daily life.

Now back to a career-high No.4 in the WTA rankings and in bright spirits, the 29-year-old Garcia opened up about her struggles in an interview with L’Equipe sports newspaper.

After several inconsistent years marred by doubts and injuries, Garcia took a break from tennis in March to nurse her foot. The pause brought dividends as the Frenchwoman enjoyed a tremendous second half of the 2022 season with titles at the WTA Finals, Cincinnati, Bad Homburg and Warsaw to go with her semifinal appearance at the U.S. Open.

Before that successful stretch Garcia said “there have been many tears, many sleepless nights”.

Garcia — who first reached the No. 4 spot in Sept. 2018 — said she took refuge in food to compensate for the unease created by pain and defeat.

“You feel so empty, so sad, that you need to fill yourself up,” she said. “It was the distress of not being able to do what I wanted to do on the court, not winning and suffering physically. Eating soothed me for a few minutes. We all know it doesn’t last but...it was an escape. It’s uncontrollable.”

Garcia said being alone in her hotel room while on the tour made things more difficult to handle. Speaking about her problems with family and friends helped her improve her relationship with food.

“Since I’ve been enjoying everything around tennis a little more and taking more time for myself, it happens less,” she said. “And when it does happen, I accept it more and feel much less guilty about it. Allowing myself small pleasures on a more regular basis prevents me from having that craving for something too often. At one point, I didn’t allow myself much. It became too much.

“Now, if I have a craving for pizza for two days, I’ll just have my pizza and stop obsessing about it. I had a hard time accepting the fact that it wasn’t going to transform my body. I allow myself a little dessert every now and then instead of just thinking about it all week and eventually breaking down completely.”

Garcia became in November the second player from France to win the season-ending WTA Finals after Amelie Mauresmo in 2005. She is expected to compete at the Australian Open, the first major tournament of the season beginning Jan. 16 at Melbourne Park.

She said in an interview last month with the WTA website that winning a Grand Slam title is her big goal in 2023.

“Being healthy first, but winning a Slam is probably one of my goals and dreams since I was a little girl, and with the last couple of results, with the WTA Finals, with the semifinal at the US Open, made it obviously more concrete and something I can reach, something I can achieve,” she said.

https://apnews.com/article/sports-carol ... 54ace3a1c9

by JazzNU This is a NY Post (I know, but go with it) story on it.

Caroline Garcia opens up on bulimia battle: ‘Those were moments of crisis’

By Jenna Lemoncelli

World No. 4 tennis player Caroline Garcia has opened up about her “uncontrollable” struggles with bulimia and binge eating during the 2022 season.

In an interview with French outlet L’Equipe on Thursday, Garcia said she “took refuge in food” when she felt “empty and sad” to “fill a void” when she wasn’t winning or was physically hurting.

“Some people don’t go out to eat anymore, but for me it was the opposite: I took refuge in food,” Garcia said. “Those were moments of crisis. You feel so empty, so sad, that you need to fill yourself up. It was the distress of not being able to do what I wanted to do on the court, not winning and suffering physically.

“Eating calmed me down for a few minutes. We all know it doesn’t last, but it was an escape. It’s uncontrollable. Afterwards, I started talking about it, to my relatives, to friends, to my parents. You start to understand. You realize that if it happens to you, it’s not the end of the world. Sometimes it’s just tiredness that makes your body need sugar.”

Garcia, who reached the semifinals of the U.S. Open last season, said sharing her experience has helped and now she better manages her relationship with food.

“Since I’ve been enjoying everything around tennis a little more and taking more time for myself, it happens less,” she said. “And when it does happen, I accept it more and I feel less guilty. Now, if for two days I feel like having a pizza, I’ll take my pizza and it will stop obsessing me.

“I’m more of a weigh myself type of person, I’m more of a gram person. At one point I was quite hard on myself. I had fallen into excess. Today, it’s better. I can enjoy myself when I feel like it. Sometimes you need proof that it won’t do anything to your body.

“For example, I ate a pizza the day before my match against [Daria] Kasatkina [at the WTA Finals]. I wanted to eat it. I found a gluten-free dough. I was so happy with my pizza! And I lasted two and a half hours on the court the next day.”

Garcia took time off in March and April to address a lingering right foot injury, which she underwent surgery and relearned how to walk.

The 29-year-old appeared reinvented upon her return to the court and finished the year ranked No. 4 in the world after being 75th in June. She won five titles in the 2022 season, including the WTA Finals and the doubles title at the French Open.

In a November note on Twitter, Garcia got candid about her relationship with food and binge eating while discussing the silver lining of her injury.

“I’ve had sleepless nights, binge eating, cried in my hotel room, cried on tennis courts, been on crutches, swore, relearned to walk, I struggled to find shoes, I suffered physically and mentally,” Garcia wrote.

“… This injury allowed me to play more liberated, I learned to let go, I learned to accept my mistakes, the unexpected, to delegate, to trust myself, to follow my instincts, than I can eat a pizza from time to time, it was not ogling to change the result of the next day, if I was dying to eat one ‘that was good too.'”

Garcia is slated to compete at the Australian Open later this month.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/05/caroline- ... interview/

by JazzNU This is the November post from Caro that is mentioned in the NY Post article

by JazzNU The original interview that Caro gave was with L'Equipe, which is not just in French, but behind a paywall. If someone has access and can better share, please do so.

I've seen bulimia mentioned, and now in this NY Post one, binge eating. Binge eating seems closer to what is described in the snippets that other outlets picked up, but I'm guessing it's been one or both at different times, that binge eating led to bulimia. Regardless, it's great she's sharing more of her journey with her eating disorder, maybe it will help other players and people in general.

There are reports that she wasn't expecting so much reaction to her sharing this and she's not sure she would've shared it if she had known. She doesn't regret sharing it, she just wasn't expecting the level of media attention it is getting. I think this might be because that November post on Twitter seemed to have escaped most tennis journalists because I don't remember this being a fall story at all. But she seems to be in good spirits and adjusting okay to the attention on this particular story, WTA had up stuff up on social media from her meeting with press at AO and she was smiling and looking very happy.

by ponchi101 I said this when Naomi came forward with her struggles. The WTA had to investigate that: was it a Naomi problem, or is it more spread? After that, now we have this story of Caroline, and in the Netflix documentary, both Badosa and Ajla talk about some struggles.
There are some things that you can't do anything about: if you feel down after you lose, then this is not a lifestyle for you. You don't like traveling and get homesick very easily? The same. But if there are other factors, then that has to be studied. Is the tour too lonely? Is the schedule too tough? Or any other possible factors.
After all, these are a group of very healthy, successful young women. If a significant percentage of them are not feeling well on tour, maybe something can be done.

by JazzNU Haven't watched Break Point, but Badosa has discussed her mental health struggles in the past, but I'm not sure it got much attention. I recall mentioning it on here before and one of the regulars asking where I got that from cause it was the first they'd heard of it, which is not a great sign that it was covered well to me.

by JazzNU

by ti-amie But didn't Kyrgios just play an exo? Is that where he was injured?

by ponchi101 He said he used the exo and his match with Novak to precisely test the knee. He was able to play but he says it would not withstand a real match.

by JazzNU He posted on his IG Stories some disgusting looking substance that was extracted from his knee. For anyone that doesn't remember, his knee has been injured in the past, so it's going to be an area they monitor closely. Won't be surprised if he's out longer than they were initially projecting. Feel like he regularly gets healthy to be ready for Acapulco more often than not.

Honestly, Nick's not that durable. He's not all that young anymore, been on the tour for a while and he's spent a lot of time not playing, not because of suspension or being disgruntled in some way, but because of injury. A host of them. I recall a shoulder more than once, an elbow, a wrist and repeated knee injuries and I know there are others. There was some question about whether his style of play, especially his serve, would lead to injuries and that was probably a valid concern.

by ponchi101 The only thing I would add is that it is puzzling. His serve is as smooth a motion as can be. The BH is compact as hell. The forehand flows.
It is not as if he has poor biomechanics; I think he is as pure as striker of the ball as anybody. That is why the injuries are a surprise to me.

by Deuce Mr. Nadal - a class act as always...
Asked if his ‘team’ had told him to retire from the match, Nadal replied (paraphrasing):
“I’m old enough to make my own decisions. As the defending champion, I didn’t want to retire. I lost. Nothing to say... Congratulate my opponent... That’s sports - just try your best to the end. It doesn’t matter the chances you have (of winning) - that’s the philosophy of the sport; that’s the essence of the sport by itself. I’ve tried to follow that through all of my career. But, of course, I try not to increase the damage (of the hip injury) because I don’t know what’s going on there.”

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:53 pm The only thing I would add is that it is puzzling. His serve is as smooth a motion as can be. The BH is compact as hell. The forehand flows.
It is not as if he has poor biomechanics; I think he is as pure as striker of the ball as anybody. That is why the injuries are a surprise to me.
But his motions are very fast, right? Or is heavy the better word?.

Here's something I noticed for him and a few others, like Raonic. They are serving heat on almost every single serve, first and second. Not completely unlike a baseball pitcher. You know what most baseball pitchers do when they are done pitching? Have their arm in a sling of ice. I've seen plenty of photos of the big tennis servers and I can't recall ever seeing them in one, and that's the time they'd have them on, soon after getting off court. It's especially done in baseball after a pitcher has had an injury to their shoulder, elbow, or wrist to help prevent future injury. I've seen Raonic wear a compression sleeve and Kyrgios where something close to that, but never the ice sleeve.

Brad Gilbert has said more than once that he was surprised that Andy Roddick's abbreviated motion serve wasn't heavily adopted more because it mitigates a lot of injury risk. Everyone's body is different, so maybe it wouldn't make a difference in other big servers, but given the level of serving Andy was doing day in and day out, it's rather impressive how little injury he sustained to his shoulder/arm during his career. He was injured it a few times, but not a lot and not for long, rarely missed the slams during his career.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by JazzNU Wasn't sure where to put this.

by ponchi101 And we are happy that the doctor was wrong.
But: he was probably trying to do his best and be honest.

by JazzNU Just sharing the post since Andy posted it and it's doing numbers, not judging the doctor. Many doctors that are not quacks have been proven wrong before, doesn't make them an overall bad doctor, just likely means most patients with the exact same injury or ailment have not been as lucky to have the recovery that you did.

My first reaction to this was to call BS - your (I assume) British hip doctor was in Melbourne and you "randomly" ran into him? BS. But you know, just sharing.

by skatingfan
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:28 am Just sharing the post since Andy posted it and it's doing numbers, not judging the doctor. Many doctors that are not quacks have been proven wrong before, doesn't make them an overall bad doctor, just likely means most patients with the exact same injury or ailment have not been as lucky to have the recovery that you did.

My first reaction to this was to call BS - your (I assume) British hip doctor was in Melbourne and you "randomly" ran into him? BS. But you know, just sharing.
Murray's first hip operation was done in Melbourne. The second surgery was done in London, and that's the procedure that allowed him to continue to play.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-20935398

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Torn muscles are in vogue.
And this is a non-contact sport. A measure of how physically tough it is.

by ponchi101 "My kingdom for a PR firm!"

Djokovic unsure on injury return after Australian Open 'perfect 10'

Small sample:
Djokovic's coach, Goran Ivanisevic, said most players would not have played after a pre-tournament scan showed the extent of the hamstring injury.
"But not him -- he is from outer space," Ivanisevic told reporters.
"His brain is working different. He gave everything, 77 therapies a day. Every day was kind of better and better."
End quote.

You just won a slam dropping only one set. You went through the #24, #6, #34 and #4 players in the world like a hot knife through butter. We saw you move with the speed, power and precision of a laser guided missile.
Stop it. For your own good, stop it.

by JTContinental His persecution complex might count as an injury

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:34 pm "My kingdom for a PR firm!"

"His brain is working different. He gave everything, 77 therapies a day. Every day was kind of better and better."
End quote.

Stop it. For your own good, stop it.

Please, please stop. 77 therapies a day?!? Who are you impressing with this nonsense? Certainly no one that actually watched him play, stretching like Gumby in every direction to make sure no ball got by him. You were magnificent, you won. Congrats! Now, please stop, no one believes you and this has gotten quite embarrassing.

by 3mlm Ivanisevic's brain has always worked differently.

by dryrunguy
3mlm wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:27 pm Ivanisevic's brain has always worked differently.
And that's equally true for both Good Goran and Bad Goran.

by ti-amie

No surprise. I doubt he'll play before Monte Carlo. The diagnosis for recovery from the hip injury was 6-8 weeks.

by Deuce Or... he doesn't want to be on the court more than he has to be because he wants to be as ready as possible for Indian Wells and Miami, and so meaningless exhibitions are eliminated.
We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

by ponchi101 Make it Monte Carlo. Slow, soft clay. The serve will be less of a liability. One final push.
If he injures himself again at IW or MIA, he won't be ready for RG.

by JazzNU People seemed to be surprised Cilic pulled out of some tournaments so thought I'd post this from last month.

by skatingfan His leg does not appear to be connected to his body from this angle.

by JazzNU Ons' had the minor surgery she mentioned was needed, it was deemed successful and she's on the mend. She hasn't a given a timeline for her return to the tour, but she should be back practicing on court in the next week.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoozhNRNuZS/

by Deuce Anett Kontaveit is having injury problems. She mentions "degenerative changes in the lumbar discs in the spine", and says that she may never fully recover from it.
Sad...

Anett Kontaveit Opens Up on Back Injury...

by ponchi101
Deuce wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:56 am Anett Kontaveit is having injury problems. She mentions "degenerative changes in the lumbar discs in the spine", and says that she may never fully recover from it.
Sad...

Anett Kontaveit Opens Up on Back Injury...

:cry:
Terrible for her.

by ponchi101 Martina Navratilova reporting she is cancer free. Still has to do a few rad-therapies but mostly preventive.
If I ever see her and Chrissie together again, I will cry.
:clap: :champagne:

by JazzNU Details on Iga's injury

by ponchi101 Rafa giving an interview, saying he really doesn't know when he will be back. Monte Carlo is not sure.

by ti-amie

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:49 pm
If ever there was a body NOT made for tennis, it's Andreescu's.
It's never a matter of IF she'll be injured again - it's always just a matter of WHEN she'll be injured again. And that takes a toll not only physically, but psychologically, as well - with this high number and high frequency of injuries - all of which have the common denominator of playing tennis -, how can she possibly trust her body?

There are a few things in life that are so predictable that you can set your watch to them: the sun will rise, the sun will set, a mass killing will occur in the U.S., and Bianca will injure herself.

If performing a particular task results in frequent significant injury, there comes a point where we'll stop doing it, no?

Given that she has a history of frequent injuries going back bout a decade, I imagine that she has done all of the stretching, conditioning, strengthening, and other exercizes that she's willing to do in order to get her body to the point where it doesn't break down. But the injuries continue. So, either she is not willing to 'train' enough to make her body significantly more resilient to tennis-related injuries, or, if she has 'trained' significantly toward avoiding injury, her body is simply not made to withstand the physical demands of playing tennis.
I see no other possibility.

by ponchi101 Ok, so "not so bad" that they are torn, and not ruptured.
But soon here is relative to the injury. And torn ligaments are not going to heal in weeks. This usually takes months.
So sad for her because, drama and all, I like her on court.

by JazzNU

by ashkor87 Nadal and Alcaraz both out of Monte Carlo with injuries! the Spainish Armada runs aground!

by ponchi101 And that tumble that Carlitos took at MIA did not seem that bad. Most likely when he cooled down, it flared.

by JTContinental Not sure if this was posted before, but I saw this morning Jenson Brooksby had wrist surgery a month ago. He has pulled out of Rome and Madrid.

by Owendonovan I saw Seb Korda was listed on the entry list, but don't find him in any matches. Did he bail last minute or am I just not finding him?

by 3mlm
Owendonovan wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:18 am I saw Seb Korda was listed on the entry list, but don't find him in any matches. Did he bail last minute or am I just not finding him?
He injured his wrist in his QF match with Khachanov at the AO and had to withdraw. Even though his team reported he might return at Indian Wells, then at Miami, then at Estoril, it appears he is still not ready to return.

by JazzNU

by meganfernandez
3mlm wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:54 am
Owendonovan wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:18 am I saw Seb Korda was listed on the entry list, but don't find him in any matches. Did he bail last minute or am I just not finding him?
He injured his wrist in his QF match with Khachanov at the AO and had to withdraw. Even though his team reported he might return at Indian Wells, then at Miami, then at Estoril, it appears he is still not ready to return.
Yeah, he said he's being very cautious about the recovery and won't return until he's good and ready. Evidently wrist injuries are finnicky and you don't want to mess around with them.

by ponchi101 Indeed. Just ask Delpo. And at Sebi's age, risking an even longer time off implies more than ranking points lost.

by ponchi101 There have been some posts about Novak having an injury to his elbow. Has he said anything officially?

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:36 pm There have been some posts about Novak having an injury to his elbow. Has he said anything officially?
Yes, Novak has talked about it, and he got some treatment today, apparently.

by JazzNU FYI, Bianca's recovery seems to be coming along very well. Out of the boot and on the treadmill rehabbing maybe a week ago and looks to already be practicing at least some again. Seems like a best case scenario.

by ti-amie Benoit Paire: "I drank a lot, but I wasn't an alcoholic"

APRIL 10, 2023 19:10
by LORENZO CIOTTI | VIEW 3924

In an interview with Radio Monte-Carlo, Benoit Paire recounted one of the most difficult moments of his life on and off the tennis court. "When my head was in shape, I told myself I had to stop drinking too. I did a detox: not that I was an alcoholic, but I drank a lot.

I liked it, I did it too much when I was freaked out. I set no limits. All this is already paying off for him: plus I managed to lose a few kilos," he admitted with great sincerity, not hiding the situation he had to face and highlighting how he is in a different stage of life.

The Frenchman underlined how he got help from a circuit mate to get out of this ugly circle: "Everything started in Waco on February 28 of this year. I couldn't find the motivation. I was like: What am I doing playing Challenger tournaments in a university, in front of two people? I meditated a lot and had a very long telephone conversation with my mother.

I left for Puerto Vallarta with a completely different mindset. Nicolas Mahut can testify to it, he also helped me a lot after the first round (in Mexico) when I saved a match point." Paire then managed to win and win the tournament, starting a rather positive performance in the following appointments.

He also said: "During the COVID edition I said not too nice things. I said that the field was a cemetery, for example, but I wanted to add that it was the most beautiful tournament in the world.

Together with my agent, despite this, we decided to send a proposal to the organizers and the response touched me a lot." Benoit will be played on Sunday 9 April for the possibility of accessing the main draw: he will challenge the Australian Alexei Popyrin on the court des Princes to confirm that he too is in a moment of confidence on the court.

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/n ... lcoholic-/

by ti-amie I wish him the best in his recovery and sobriety.

by ponchi101 I really disliked the comment about playing in "a cemetery" (I wrote about it). So, not that it means anything to him, but apology accepted.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Ok.
Now, do not come back until everything is in place. She will basically be out of any possible ranking worth talking about. But she is so young, she can take her time and simply come back when really ready.
Hope she will.

by patrick Her best scneario is to start her season in January during AO swing

by JazzNU I'm not trying to doom Emma, I hope she is able to recover from this and come back stronger. But more than a few on Tennis Reddit are calling for a closer look at the LTA and I have to agree. What the heck is the deal with all the injuries to their young players? Are they skipping important steps in their conditioning? Because it seems like it's a real problem that hasn't been addressed. They really seem to regularly hit this difficulty in their career and it is concerning.

by ponchi101 Who are the others? Would like to know.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:29 am Who are the others? Would like to know.
Laura Robson sticks out like a sore thumb obviously, but the others that come to mind are Katie Swan, Katie Boulter, Kyle Edmund, Jack Draper and Jodie Burrage.

Jodie played British WTA events on grass last season with wild cards and I personally hadn't heard of her, but she picked up some very good wins and it was like, who is this girl? Someone who had a series of injuries that have stalled her career, but who the Brits were high on and who clearly can play.

Kyle has obviously not been completely derailed by injury, but he had the injury more recently that took him out for I think close to two years and then he had several injuries when he was younger, he's had a decent number of stops and starts.

Also keep in mind that Andy Murray, Tim Henman, and Johanna Konta are largely not LTA products, receiving most of their training in Spain. Also, no idea if conditioning is part of the issue, but Andy definitely blamed the LTA for messing up Jamie's game.

by ti-amie Amanda Anisimova announced on her IG account that she is taking time off from tennis saying she is suffering from mental health issues and burnout.

I don't know how to manipulate IG so I just posted the gist of her announcement.

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:20 am Amanda Anisimova announced on her IG account that she is taking time off from tennis saying she is suffering from mental health issues and burnout.

I don't know how to manipulate IG so I just posted the gist of her announcement.
In this case, just need to post the link of it. If you don't have an IG account and are getting a sign in message when you click on the post, open the post in a separate tab and you'll be able to get it that way.

by JazzNU

by ti-amie

by JazzNU Truly feels like an end of an era if he can't go. Even though we expected it, still sad.

by ponchi101 It is. And by now, you really have to wonder if he has the slightest chance to return in 24.

by Suliso When Federer played his last match in QF's of 2021 Wimbledon we didn't know it would be his last. Perhaps Nadal has also already played his last (2023 AO 2nd round). He's younger than Roger was then so perhaps he still comes back for a farewell tour.

by ponchi101 I don't see Nadal as the kind that will come for a farewell tour. Roger was very clear that he would not, following Edberg's advice.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:21 pm I don't see Nadal as the kind that will come for a farewell tour. Roger was very clear that he would not, following Edberg's advice.
I feel like this is especially the case because of his foot condition or whatever the correct term is for what he's dealt with for a long time. He's said he manages the pain from that ailment, but I have a hard time believing he'd put himself at further risk if there wasn't a legitimate chance at winning. I'm not sure that it's common, but it seems like the tournaments could just invite him and have a ceremony celebrating their most decorated champion.

by ponchi101 Oh, a celebratory ceremony would be totally called for. An exo in a special place, also.
A full year of losing in 1R or 2R all around the world? No way that would be fitting.

by Owendonovan I'm ok with not seeing Nadal play competitively again, we've seen the best tennis ever played over the last 20 years. That's a long time in sport.

by ponchi101 I say 30. Sampras and Agassi gave us an excellent decade during the 90's.

by ashkor87 Nadal has indeed withdrawn from RG, says 24 his last year

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

You know they had to fight tooth and nail to get him to the point where he knows he can't play and kinda sorta accepts it.

by MJ2004 Except Rafa said it rather more colorfully than "there is no way I'm gonna retire". :lol:

by ponchi101 As MJ says, he was way more colorful.
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to translate. But if somebody would attempt to do so, a major F-bomb would have to be dropped :D

But if Mr. Gatto is comparing Rafa's reaction to Iga's last night, it is a bit misleading. Iga was in the QF's of the ITALIAN OPEN, with her best slam only two weeks away. A very fine line to determine if she should have kept playing or indeed retire.

by JTContinental In lesser injury news, Kyrgios has recovered from his knee injury, but sustained a foot injury while he was being robbed and is also out of the French Open

by texasniteowl Apparently his mother was held at gunpoint? https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/nick- ... c-10547094

On top of that, didn't his grandmother die recently? Very rough year so far.

by ti-amie
texasniteowl wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:51 am Apparently his mother was held at gunpoint? https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/nick- ... c-10547094

On top of that, didn't his grandmother die recently? Very rough year so far.
:o

by ashkor87 Badosa has withdrawn from RG .stress fracture in spine!! Yikes .

by ponchi101 Wow! That's a major injury.
I have wondered before if she trains too hard. Some of her videos are insane. Needless to say, I hope she recovers soon.

by JTContinental Venus returning to the tour next month

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/ ... ibema-open

by ti-amie
JTContinental wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:20 pm Venus returning to the tour next month

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/ ... ibema-open

by ponchi101 She can make any tournament more appealing.
She can make a little money.
I say she loves to play. Just play.
So, let it be.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

Stephanie Myles
@OpenCourt
·
47s
It's happening in Barcelona with the following three physicians: Dr. Philippon, Dr. Vilaró and Dr. Ruiz-Cotorro.

(That's Dr. Mark Philippon - a Quebecer, who did Milos Raonic's hip and specialises in that area).

More news tomorrow a.m. here.

by ti-amie Emma Raducanu enjoys Mexico fashion show as injury update emerges after red carpet photos
Emma Raducanu was spotted wearing bandages as she attended a fashion show shortly after undergoing three different surgeries.
By YASMIN SYED
14:11, Mon, May 22, 2023 | UPDATED: 14:20, Mon, May 22, 2023

Emma Raducanu made her first public appearance since undergoing triple surgery as she attended a fashion show in Mexico. The British No 1 is set to spend several months on the sidelines following operations on one ankle and both wrists. And Raducanu could be seen sporting bandages in an update on her progress during the fashion show.

Raducanu recently underwent the last of her three surgeries after announcing an extended break from competition. The 20-year-old had been struggling with wrist injuries for almost a year and also turned her ankle during her first event of the season in Auckland.

After pulling out of the Madrid Open at the 11th hour, the Brit took to Instagram to reveal that she would be missing the summer events to have three surgeries and has since completed them all. With Raducanu now sidelined from Wimbledon and expected to miss the US Open, she has been enjoying events away from tennis.

As a brand ambassador of fashion house Dior, the former world No 10 flew to Mexico for their latest Cruise fashion show and was seen with a bandage on one of her wrists during the event. “Just saw the show here in Mexico City, and it was stunning and it was a really nice thing to be a part of,” she said in a video for Vogue.

Emma Raducanu still had a bandage on one wrist (Image: Instagram @emmaraducanu)

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/ ... ury-update

by ti-amie Video of Raducanu in Mexico for Dior.

by ti-amie Rybakina describing her illness:
""I saw the doctor and they said that actually it's all a virus here in Paris. I guess with my allergy, immune system just went down and I picked up something. As I said, I was not sleeping well for two days. I had fever, headache. I think you can hear [my voice] also.

"So, yeah, it's difficult to perform and obviously to run and even breathe. So I think that was the only right decision I could make.""
https://www.wtatennis.com/news/3528651/ ... and-garros

These symptoms seem familiar...

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Problem is, it is not as if C19 testing is not available everywhere. If they did get it, why not say so? There are no more restrictions around the world.
Still, odd. Lesia and Elena.

by Owendonovan There was some virus that got a lot of people sick starting a couple years ago and still does today. The name of it is on the tip of my tongue.........

by skatingfan There's been no shortage of virus' circulating since COVID restrictions have lifted - the flu, RSV, among others have been hitting some people really hard.

by JTContinental My prescription for that second virus report is a healthy dose of skepticisim

by meganfernandez
Owendonovan wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:22 pm There was some virus that got a lot of people sick starting a couple years ago and still does today. The name of it is on the tip of my tongue.........
Can you taste it?

by Owendonovan
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:24 pm
Owendonovan wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:22 pm There was some virus that got a lot of people sick starting a couple years ago and still does today. The name of it is on the tip of my tongue.........
Can you taste it?
Tastes a bit like chicken and a bit like covfefe.

by ashkor87 wonder what is wrong with Bencic.. dropped out of a tournament in Europe after signing up..(how DOES one pronounce the name of that place?!)

by skatingfan

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:39 pm wonder what is wrong with Bencic.. dropped out of a tournament in Europe after signing up..(how DOES one pronounce the name of that place?!)
Injuries don't heal that quickly, even for the top players. Ask Zverev, Raonic, Stan, Murray, Thiem...

by JTContinental Bencic is still having hip issues

by ashkor87 Kontaveit has announced she will retire after Wimbledon.. degenarative lower back issue...sad..

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:44 am Kontaveit has announced she will retire after Wimbledon.. degenarative lower back issue...sad..
I saw that. Indeed, sad that an athlete has to retire at 27 due to such an illness.
She will always be able to claim that she reached #2 in the world; not a shabby achievement.
This reminds me of a conversation with other members about "why take the endorsements? Why be do greedy? Why do all those press conferences and get involved in off court issues?" Well, here's why. Because it can all disappear in a minute. An entire life of being dedicated to a sport can go "puff" in just one injury. You have, roughly, 10 years to make a nest and make it big enough to last you the rest of your life.
I hope she will do well in whatever she does next.

by ti-amie

by JTContinental Sad to hear about Kontaveit's retirement--she did mention when she came back that she was told her injury was probably permanent

by ashkor87 Now Sinner has injured an adductor and pulled up...how bad is it?

by ponchi101 Unless he pulled put immediately after feeling it, an abductor injury is not going to heal in 10 days.
Let's hope it was a minor twinge.

by ashkor87 Too bad..Sinner had a chance in my book at least

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:36 pm
ewww!

by JTContinental Bianca Andreescu has a stress fracture in her back

by ponchi101 Joining Badosa. And at a really terrible time in the year.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 If at 20 you are already suffering from back pain that is so severe that you need to take pills, that is very unpromising.

by ti-amie LaWanda
@lawanda50
Haddad Maia had to withdraw from Guadalajara. Heal soon Bia! ❤️ (used translate for English version)

Original Portuguese

by meganfernandez What a horrible injury for Bia.

by JTContinental That description made me physically ill for a second

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 so now Alcaraz is suffering from muscle fatigue in his back. Maybe he should work on his serving motion.. that kind of half- swing was always going to stress his body somewhere..

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Stop it, Rafa. You have had a most wonderful career and life. You will retire as the second winningest male player ever.
You gave it all. Now, accept it.

by JTContinental Speaking of senior citizens on the tour, Venus will be back in 2024, but not until March when the tour moves back to the States. Her fall earlier this summer did more damage than originally thought.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:Speaking of senior citizens on the tour, Venus will be back in 2024, but not until March when the tour moves back to the States. Her fall earlier this summer did more damage than originally thought.
At her age, falling is disastrous!

by ptmcmahon Image

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 And he has already been out for a long time, so who knows how much longer before he returns to action. A tough break.

by ti-amie

by Owendonovan :vomit: He's just so heroic.

by meganfernandez in the current episode of the Craig Tennis Shapiro Podcast, Moutet talks about injuring his wrist at the Australian Open this year. The tendon was detached, and he played through it. It was on his off wrist, so he started slicing his backhand. When he had to hit a two-hander, he would have to put his tendon back in place! :o He actually won the match and maybe even R2, by slicing and attacking more.

The context of the injury to his season was interesting. He came into the year ranked #51 and off a great training session. He was excited to play all the majors and 1000s for the first time and see how he stacks up against the top players and gauge his potential for Top 10 or 20. Then that injury in R1 of the Australia changed it all. He eventually had surgery but played through it for a while, trying to find ways to win matches.

He also said getting kicked out of the French Tennis Federation was a joke and all for show and meant nothing. He still trains at their facility and all the people from the academy still attend his matches and support him.

If all you know about Moutet is his reputation for controversy and he released a hip-hop single (that was my vague impression), it gives you a new perspective.

https://shows.acast.com/craigtennispod/episodes/moutet

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:00 am
It's just his nature. He will never understand.
YOU JUST WON THE TOURNAMENT, 4 &3 in the final against a fine opponent. DON'T come and say you were hurt, playing on an empty stomach, with a fractured pinky, and a severe headache and a bad case of dandruff. Just say "I played well".
But, no. It is his nature. Probably he is bored that he really has no peer anymore in the tour.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Ben Rothenberg 🤖
@BenRothenberg@sportsbots.xyz
Nick Kyrgios confirms he won't be returning to tennis in time to play 2024 #AusOpen, citing wrist issues.

"This is a very disappointing time for me...I just want to really get back to playing at the top of my game and doing it right and I need a little bit more time."

by ti-amie I guess that gives him time to work on his Only Fans account...

by dryrunguy
ti-amie wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:39 am I guess that gives him time to work on his Only Fans account...
I think you're confusing Nick with Bernie? At least I hope so...

by ti-amie
dryrunguy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:18 am
ti-amie wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:39 am I guess that gives him time to work on his Only Fans account...
I think you're confusing Nick with Bernie? At least I hope so...
Nope

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios joins OnlyFans to create new athlete content
Injured player wants to show ‘all different sides of me’
Free-to-access account will feature tennis tips and gaming

Associated Press
Thu 7 Dec 2023 22.34 GMT
Australian Tennis player Nick Kyrgios has announced he is setting up a free-to-access OnlyFans page as a way to interact with the public in a new way.

The 28-year-old, who was the runner-up to Novak Djokovic at Wimbledon in 2022 but was sidelined by injuries for nearly all of this past season, has played in just one official singles match in 2023.

London-based OnlyFans is a subscription site where people can pay creators for photos and videos. Kyrgios is one of the most prominent male athletes to join the platform.

“They are revolutionizing social media and I wanted to be a part of that,” he said in a statement.

“Athletes can no longer just show up on the court or the field. We have to show up online too. I want to create, produce, direct and own content. That’s the future.”

Kyrgios is frequently outspoken off the tennis court – including open discussions about his mental health – and often outlandish on it, drawing attention for antics that sometimes resulted in punishment from the sport’s governing bodies.

“Nick is a disruptor, so it’s great to see him joining our platform, finding new ways to share his content and express himself,” OnlyFans chief executive, Keily Blair, said.

Kyrgios said he has learned what his fans want to see over the years.

“Of course, there’ll be tennis balls involved, tips, tricks and behind the scenes, but also they’ll get to see all different sides of me,” he said.

“Gaming, tattoos, my intimate side – it’s all on the table and I’ll be bringing fans along for the ride!”

On the court, Kyrgios’s serve is among the biggest in the game and he has proven capable of beating the very best, including Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.

He’s been ranked as high as No 13 in the world – although currently does not have an ATP ranking because of his extended absence from competition – and owns seven singles titles. He has earned more than $12m in prize money.

The best singles performance by Kyrgios came at Wimbledon last year, when he made it past the quarter-finals of a grand slam tournament for the first time and grabbed the opening set of the final against Djokovic – who now owns a men’s-record 24 major trophies – before losing 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 (3).

Even those two weeks of sustained excellence were memorable for more than forehands and backhands. Kyrgios was fined $10,000 at Wimbledon after spitting in the direction of a spectator he said was heckling him at his first-round match and $4,000 for cursing during a contentious third-rounder against Stefanos Tsitsipas, who accused him afterward of “bullying” and having “a very evil side”.

The tennis season that just concluded began on a sour note for Kyrgios when he was forced to withdraw from the Australian Open in January because he needed arthroscopic knee surgery. He later dealt with a wrist problem.

Hours before he pulled out of Wimbledon in early July, Kyrgios was asked at a news conference whether he missed tennis during all of the time away.

“No, I don’t miss the sport at all, to be fair. I was almost dreading coming back a little bit,” he said. “But it’s my job.”

It has not been confirmed whether Kyrgios will make his return at January’s Australian Open in Melbourne, but Tennis Australia boss, Craig Tiley, said he expects Kyrgios will be there “in some form”.

“The update is day-by-day with him,” Tiley said last week.

“He’ll be best to assess that … we’re going to have Nick here in some form or another in January. Hopefully it is to play because he’s a crowd-pleaser. We love watching Nick and love having him around.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... ennis-star

by dryrunguy Um, okay. Thank you. I think... :shock: :shock: :shock:

by JTContinental Many celebrities have non-porno Only Fans sites

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:07 am Many celebrities have non-porno Only Fans sites
Will you go scout his and be sure? :D I don't want to risk it.

by ti-amie Tsitsipas Withdraws From World Tennis League And Faces Race Against Time

by Zachary Wimer

Stefanos Tsitsipas has withdrawn from the 2023 World Tennis League, which is another setback in a long battle with injuries.

Things are seemingly not getting better for Stefanos Tsitsipas, who is now in a very tricky situation at the start of the new year and the upcoming 2024 ATP season. The Greek player spent much of his offseason in Dubai with his girlfriend, Paula Badosa, who has her base set up there.

They trained together in preparation for the new season, which they'll kick off Down Under like the rest of the field. Before that, they signed up for the World Tennis League in Abu Dhabi, where they even got to play doubles together.

The first iteration of Tsitsidosa proved successful as they won; however, Tsitsipas is now dealing with some bumps on the road. His 2023 campaign ended on a bad note with a back injury forcing him to first retire and then withdraw from the ATP Finals, and you kind of wonder if this is related to that.

He looked fine when he played at the 2023 World Tennis League for the most part but winced in pain a few times when serving, so the back is seemingly still active, and the fact that Lloyd Harris replaced him for his team's matches on Friday and Saturday shows that he's not yet ready to compete.

The last thing he needs right now is a back injury or any physical problem because the Australian Open is quickly approaching, and he played in the final last year. It's also one of his favorite parts of the year due to the large Greek community in Melbourne, which supports him during the event.

We'll see what happens, but it's clear he's in a bit of a race against time to be ready for the season's first major.

https://tennis-infinity.com/atp/tsitsip ... ainst-time

by ti-amie Elena Rybakina Forced To Withdraw From World Tennis League

by Zachary Wimer

Elena Rybakina is out of the 2023 World Tennis League after two days of action, and she'll now face a race against time ahead of the 2024 WTA season.

Rybakina has had some unfortunate luck with sicknesses in the past, as her 2023 Roland Garros campaign got completely derailed by one. She played very well at the event and looked primed for a deep run, but then suddenly got sick and had to withdraw.

It was a bad one, as she spent days in bed before finally being able to get up. The sickness drained her for future events, so let's hope that's not the case now, as once again, she withdrew from a tournament due to sickness.

The event announced Rybakina's withdrawal at the same time when the daily schedule came out with the reason named sickness.

Veteran Vera Zvonareva will replace the Kazakhstani player for the rest of the event, though their chances aren't pretty good after this withdrawal. The team already had another player withdraw earlier in the competition.

It's not the best timing for sickness because she needs the matches ahead of the Australian Open to build up confidence and rhythm. She's looked pretty good in Abu Dhabi, and building upon that Down Under would have been ideal.

There is still a chance that she gets the chance to do that, but there is also a chance this sickness and its effects will linger for a few weeks. Last year's Australian Open campaign was really good for Rybakina as she made it all the way to the final.

Despite losing, it proved like a solid introduction to the new season, which ended up being the best she's ever had. A similar start this year would be great as she has high ambitions but this is a bit of an early obstacle to overcome.

https://tennis-infinity.com/wta/elena-r ... nis-league

by ponchi101 She has been now at sub par level for quite a while. I wonder if the diagnosis (whatever that may be) is correct.

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 Rybakina seems fine now, blew Mertens away. But I think her languid movement makes her look unwell even when she is perfectly fine.

by ashkor87 Keys is out of the AO with a shoulder injury...too bad, she has done well here in the past and she can handle the heat ..

by skatingfan So we're going to be hearing about Djokovic's injury through the whole Australian Open culminating in his 11th title.

by Owendonovan
skatingfan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:58 am So we're going to be hearing about Djokovic's injury through the whole Australian Open culminating in his 11th title.
And how he was able to triumphantly overcome the excruciating pain, the haters, and how small a country Serbia is!
I look forward to his family's input.

by JTContinental You forgot that he practiced in a swimming pool growing up

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:36 am You forgot that he practiced in a swimming pool growing up
With bombs going off

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/ra ... muscle-leg

well, now he is sure.. that he is NOT fit yet..too bad.

by ponchi101 He just can't play two matches in a row anymore.
It is in the hands of his doctor. Somebody has to tell him: You have given it all. Walk away, no shame on this, just remain healthy for the rest of your life.

OTOH. This guy truly loves this sport. There is no other explanation.

by ashkor87 https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... ore-tennis

Raducanu pulls out of exo with soreness. Osaka too?

by ponchi101 Of course she is going to be sore. She had not played a truly competitive match since forever.
Osaka too.

by ashkor87 Now Pegula may miss the AO - GI illness it seems

by JTContinental I doubt that she’ ll miss the AO for that

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 Badosa seems to have injured her back again

by ashkor87 Pegula :Must have affected her in the AO too..she was a pale shadow of her normal self ..

by Owendonovan I wonder how she hurt her neck, I don't recall any moments in matches or pressers afterwards.

by JTContinental
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:54 am Badosa seems to have injured her back again
Eek I think that’s a rough injury to try to come back from

by ashkor87 i hear Coco is also exhausted and resting...

by JTContinental Badosa has updated that her back issue is only inflammation and not a re-injury

by Fastbackss Yowzers lot going on

by ashkor87 All players go through a reset, physically and mentally, after a major, I think ..so all this disruption is quite normal ...

by ashkor87 Pegula has pulled out of the entire Middle East swing ...

by ponchi101 Probably could not afford to pay for all the hotels and not be earning a check. :evil:
The injury must be for real.

by ashkor87 She can probably afford to buy all the hotels..
I wonder if she is trying to think through her future.

by ti-amie I keep coming back to her mother being very ill and that maybe, just speculating, she's thinking about starting a family.

There's a lot going on in her life.

by ti-amie Rune Withdraws From Los Cabos Open With Another Injury Scare Looming

by Zachary Wimer
Today, 14:34 Last updated Today, 15:10

Holger Rune dealt with some physical issues in the past few weeks, and they seemingly are a problem as he withdrew from the 2024 Los Cabos Open.

After the young Dane crashed out early from the Australian Open, many thought he would bounce back in Europe. He did by playing really well in Montpellier, but then he retired during his semifinal match with an apparent arm injury.

Updates from his camp played down the severity of the injury, and he returned rather quickly. He took part in the Ultimate Tennis Showdown event in Oslo but then withdrew after the first day.

Despite all of that, Rune traveled to Rotterdam to take part in the 2024 Rotterdam Open, which is an ATP 500 event. He would win one match but then lose the next match. After the match, he provided a positive update, but things changed quite quickly.

"I enjoyed it here @abnamroopen. Exit definitely too early but not a bad match today and credit to my opponent. I will go back to work and level up on the areas I need to improve. Thanks for support."

He didn't look particularly injured in that match, but he didn't look quite right either. His customary update after the event didn't mention any kind of injury either, but he promised to work harder in the future.

The schedule had him playing the Los Cabos Open, but the Danish number one withdrew from that event, seemingly confirming that he's truly not right physically.

All of this maybe a precaution to avoid making an injury worse, but it seems like he tried to play through it in Oslo and Rotterdam, but it's quite clear that he needs more time.

The Sunshine Double in Indian Wells and Miami is coming up, and those two ATP 1000 tournaments are definitely worth getting healthy for for the 20-year-old.

https://tennis-infinity.com/atp/rune-wi ... re-looming

by ashkor87 Muchova recently had surgery on her wrist, says successful etc but I wonder if she will ever come back...very sad..a fragile butterfly...

by ashkor87 What happened to Rybakina? Seems to have pulled out of IW

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:57 pm What happened to Rybakina? Seems to have pulled out of IW
GI issues.

by ashkor87 Seem to be chronic with her...

by ti-amie There is a nasty bug going around that lasts weeks. It's main feature is GI problems.

by ti-amie

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:21 pm
:cry:

by ponchi101 sad, indeed. hope she will get better.

by ti-amie

He collapsed on court yesterday.

by Tybal Oh man, Kiki missing the Aussie Open hits close to home. Reminds me of my own drama when I messed up my ankle playing soccer. Thought I could just walk it off, but nope, it had me benched and seriously bumming.

by ti-amie Image

Mark Taylor 🇳🇿:TheCDN4:
@emarktaylor@thecanadian.social
🎾 @tennis #Tennis

Yikes!

Via The Tennis Letter @TheTennisLetter

Andy Murray announces he suffered a full rupture of his Anterior Talo-Fibular ligament during his match yesterday in Miami.

He will be out for an extended period.

by ponchi101 How did he finish the match? :shock:

by Owendonovan
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:56 pm How did he finish the match? :shock:
By not being too precious?