In Memoriam

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Deuce Canada

Re: In Memoriam

Post by Deuce »

While David Crosby was an integral part of some influential musical groups who created great music, he was also a complicated and troubled man who alienated many friends due to his personality.

Very detailed article about his life here:
David Crosby Dead at 81...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

So sad. Quite shocking. She was great in everything I saw her in.

Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

^What is the deal with gofundme's for any death not occurring at the prescribed time society demands? $250k for a family who likely is doing ok financially? Gofundme's too often rub the wrong the way for me.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Owendonovan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:25 pm ^What is the deal with gofundme's for any death not occurring at the prescribed time society demands? $250k for a family who likely is doing ok financially? Gofundme's too often rub the wrong the way for me.
Funerals are expensive, and then add in the costs of lawyers, and other representatives, it can get pretty costly.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Which is the same issues non Hollywood people have too :) They just haven't potentially made millions on TV/in movies.
:steven:
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Motown song writer Barrett Strong has passed
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 147421002/
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Owendonovan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:25 pm ^What is the deal with gofundme's for any death not occurring at the prescribed time society demands? $250k for a family who likely is doing ok financially? Gofundme's too often rub the wrong the way for me.
Not everyone is prepared for the financial burden that comes with a lengthy illness or untimely death. Gofundme wasn't a thing before, but people used to set up funds, informally or formally, for families and friends to donate to long ago, especially when, like this, there were young children left behind. She had 3 sons.

I just took a look at Annie's GoFund Me. If you're familiar with her work and look at the donation page, you'll find most of the top donations are from her co-workers and friends and it was setup by an actress that was a co-worker and friend. It's just a modern way to go about an older practice to me. The sharing of it publicly is different, but not much else.

I wouldn't assume that Annie's family was financially well off. I'd have to assume she was the breadwinner by a hefty margin in her family, and she's well known, but far from a household name. More often a recurring character than a leading one. I'd think she'd have to keep working to maintain whatever their current comfortable livelihood is.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The HUGE difference, of course, between then and now in terms of 'setting up funds' after someone dies is that 'GoFundMe' and similar services reach FAR MORE people than the old methods ever did.
Because the internet is... uhh... much further reaching - worldwide, in fact...

More people reached equals more money received, obviously.
Therefore, any comparisons between 'setting up funds' pre-internet and 'setting up funds' since the internet is beyond apples and oranges.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

True we can't assume. But still seems a little off to me - like you said they probably had a comfortable livelihood. So asking for money to maintain then when there are plenty of others who wouldn't have had that lifestyle...but like you said it was setup for by a friend, so it's probably just weirder to see it so publicly I guess.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

skatingfan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:22 pm
Funerals are expensive, and then add in the costs of lawyers, and other representatives, it can get pretty costly.
What are the lawyers for in such a case?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:06 pm
skatingfan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:22 pm
What are the lawyers for in such a case?
Splitting the inheritance, especially if she left no written will. Paying off any debts, settling estate taxes. Mortgages, loans, etc.
If you are rich, better have a will at any time of your life. Otherwise, it can get messy. And, if your family is not harmonious, it can get very messy.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I haven't got a will... Have you?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:17 pm I haven't got a will... Have you?
Yes. I have to update it because there are some things that have changed, but basically, all the info on where my money is and what I own is there.
A will down to who gets my watches (I have a small collection).
My racquets are to be buried with me. Or cremated with me.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Wow, that's impressive!
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Even in simple cases you need lawyers. When my dad died he left house to my mom and then split his investments four ways between me and siblings. We were all 100% harmonious but still needed lawyer to open probate, etc etc.