In Memoriam

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
mmmm8

Re: In Memoriam

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:10 pm Real broken up by that news that a raging racist, homophobic, misogynist has passed. The Never Trump and Reagan Republicans who like to pretend like the GOP was some moral and ethical space pre-2016 while they propped up the likes of Hatch, Helms, and Thurmond for decades upon decades live in glass houses as they throw stones.
Agree on substance.

I did meet Orrin Hatch once. I do think there was some line of civility and general level of intelligence/wordliness that was in place with his ilk (I think Helms and Thurmond might be a notch below that ilk) that is absent in today's rising GOP ranks.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Deuce wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:16 am
ti-amie wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:00 am Dementia? Alzheimers?
^ Not likely, given that they were scheduled to begin touring again.
Are dementia and Alzheimer's considered 'mental illnesses'?

I don't know what the cause of death is, obviously... but when I see that the family says it was 'caused by mental illness', my first thought goes to suicide.
Yes, they're categorized as Neurocognitive Disorders on the DSM-5, which is what is typically accepted by mental health professionals as the list of mental health conditions.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Vangelis. A towering figure in the electronic music world. I remember my first album I bought from him: Albedo 0.39, an absolute masterpiece of the genre.
I like many electronic guys, but I would put him alone at the top, together with Larry Fast (of SYNERGY fame). A bit above Jean Michel Jarre, Ennio Morriconne and Tomita.
Of course, Blade Runner being my favorite movie of all times, his soundtrack for the movie remains my default album to listen to when I am introspective.
May the Gods of Olympus welcome him. I will toast this man tonight.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:37 pm
JazzNU wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:10 pm Real broken up by that news that a raging racist, homophobic, misogynist has passed. The Never Trump and Reagan Republicans who like to pretend like the GOP was some moral and ethical space pre-2016 while they propped up the likes of Hatch, Helms, and Thurmond for decades upon decades live in glass houses as they throw stones.
Agree on substance.

I did meet Orrin Hatch once. I do think there was some line of civility and general level of intelligence/wordliness that was in place with his ilk (I think Helms and Thurmond might be a notch below that ilk) that is absent in today's rising GOP ranks.

I've seen people say things like this on here more than once. Putting a more polished and gentlemanly face on it doesn't change it from what it is. A "nice" or "kind" slave owner was still a slave owner.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:00 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:37 pm
Agree on substance.

I've seen people say things like this on here more than once. Putting a more polished and gentlemanly face on it doesn't change it from what it is. A "nice" or "kind" slave owner was still a slave owner.
I'm just saying it was a different approach to politics, I'm not saying it was better for society/humanity.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Always got it right in his films. And HE was the actual star in Goodfellas.
Will be missed by many.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

oh wow. and only 67?
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

May he RIP. I loved his acting.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Andrew Fletcher, keyboardist for Depeche Mode, died today of natural causes at age 60.
An indelible part of the soundtrack of my youth (meaning, from long ago).
I gather "Songs of faith and devotion" must be played tonight, in respect.
He will be be missed.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Depeche Mode provided most of the soundtrack for the "La Femme Nikita" television show. That's how I became a fan. RIP
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Not a good day today - one more...

Alan White - best known as the drummer for the music group 'Yes', and who was also the drummer on John Lennon's 'Imagine' and George Harrison's 'My Sweet Lord' - has died at 72 years old.

This is the second friend and collaborator of 'yes' lead singer Jon Anderson's to die in a week, with the other being Vangelis.

'Yes' Drummer Alan White Dies...

... and a rather unique acoustic version of 'Roundabout'...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Actor Ray Liotta, best known for his role in the movie Goodfellas, has passed away. He was only 67. Apparently he died in his sleep while filming a movie in the Dominican Republic.

Post by JazzNU »

MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

James Caan has died at age 82. RIP.

Of course, an iconic role in The Godfather.
I have a soft spot for his role in Bottle Rocket. The part was written by an unknown Wes Anderson/Owen Wilson writing team and then they convinced him to play it. Here's a quote that happened during filming:

"At one point Luke, Owen and Wes asked Caan what it was like working with the late Marlon Brando on “The Godfather.” To this Caan replied, “It’s like you guys working with me.”"