2022 Roland Garros Suicide Draw Pool: WTA Picks and Results

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

Improbabledream United States of America

Re: 2022 Roland Garros Suicide Draw Pool: WTA Picks and Results

Post by Improbabledream »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:19 pm Commentary.
Jabeur. The person that picked Ons has to explain what did he/she know about Jabeur not being on very solid ground. Granted, he is currently at the Cafe la Guillotine, drowning his sorrows, but he certainly knew a lot more than the rest of of did, although not enough to foresee his early demise. Many people saw Jabeur as a solid #2 in the bets to win the entire thing. He knew better. Just not better enough.
Li. Drinks are ON THE HOUSE for you at the Cafe La Guillotine. Your player is up 6-3 in the first, and 3-2 in the second, and she retires. We have no news as to what happened to her, but, whatever it might have been (C19, a meteorite fell on her head, bubonic plague, some truly nasty spell, what have you) you just caught one truly bad break. Drop by the lounge; you need to drown those sorrows quickly. Like, right now :cry:
Jabeur was my pick I thought I would chime in. I would be curious to know what you mean by solid ground? I am aware that she has dramtically improved the last two years and has been playing great, but... did you think she had a realistic chance to win this tournament? I saw this thing as having one clear favorite on the wta side, and then just about everyone else. Chaos. The krejicova loss I think would be an example of this...
Philosophically, I think it tends to be a smarter play to pick someone you think is an overwhelming favorite to win in the first round (regardless of if you think they can make a deep run) as opposed to someone you beleive in slightly less in the first round, and also beleive will lose earlier in the draw... you are more likely to lose early this way. This reasoning obviously did not not work for me this time, but I still think it is sound.
But on Jabeur specifically I knew everything you did and nothing more. Ok, probably less. But I see a somewhat volatile style of game that I judge to be untrustworthy in high pressure situations. Also, an 0-4 record in finals untill very recently. I envisioned her dealing with the pressure of being a "favorite" at a grand slam, going against an underdog without that pressure who played well... and losing. Qf or earlier (I was kinda right by the way.) Only thing I guess I regret is going against a player I Like and should have beleived was capable of this: Magda Linette.
So I dont think it was "way too early." I think it was dank. And in either case, someone just picked Nadal to win his first match, which should take me off the hook for most irresponsible round of 128 pick.
naughtyT Australia

Post by naughtyT »

JTContinental wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:02 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:36 pm I always like your rankings but: Parrisaz Diaz was a very good pick. But they sometimes backfire :cry:
Will we agree to disagree? Tune in tomorrow!
She died a noble death!
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

After 5 no picks, I count 92 players remaining, although many lives still hang in the balance due to holdover matches. At this point, I hope everyone's Day 2 picks win so that I don't have to go back and retroactively remove your Day 3 choices.

After the bandwagon took a hard left of the cliff yesterday, our Kasatkina pickers should be ok, but a surprising number of you chose to test the bandwagon gods by choosing Cornet and Putintseva. While both might cruise, your ride today might also be a white-knuckler.

Day 3 breakdown:

Daria Kasatkina 21
Alize Cornet 14
Yulia Putintseva 12
Kaia Juvan 8
Danielle Collins 4
Simona Halep 4
Madison Brengle 3
Anna Kalinina 3
Marta Kostyuk 3
Karolina Pliskova 3
Tamara Zidansek 3
Caroline Garcia 2
Jelena Ostapenko 2
Jessica Pegula 2
Camila Giorgi 1
Aleksandra Krunic 1
Aryna Sabalenka 1
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Improbabledream wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:43 am
Jabeur. The person that picked Ons has to explain what did he/she know about Jabeur not being on very solid ground. Granted, he is currently at the Cafe la Guillotine, drowning his sorrows, but he certainly knew a lot more than the rest of of did, although not enough to foresee his early demise. Many people saw Jabeur as a solid #2 in the bets to win the entire thing. He knew better. Just not better enough.
Jabeur was my pick I thought I would chime in. I would be curious to know what you mean by solid ground? I am aware that she has dramtically improved the last two years and has been playing great, but... did you think she had a realistic chance to win this tournament? I saw this thing as having one clear favorite on the wta side, and then just about everyone else. Chaos. The krejicova loss I think would be an example of this...
By SOLID GROUND I meant: these commentaries are an attempt to being funny, and most of the times we miss the mark (or I do). I mean, Jabeur is one very big upset, and that should have been one very safe pick.
Don't read too much into what I say. JT's comments are always better :)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:04 pm
Improbabledream wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:43 am
By SOLID GROUND I meant: these commentaries are an attempt to being funny, and most of the times we miss the mark (or I do). I mean, Jabeur is one very big upset, and that should have been one very safe pick.
Don't read too much into what I say. JT's comments are always better :)
JT's comments are great, but yours are, too. Your summaries of the historic SP moments cracks me up. Like spoofing a nature documentary.

Post by meganfernandez »

living on the edge with Putinseva. There were safer picks, but I'm playing to win. Don't you hate it when you wake up and your second or third choice already won easily? That was Cornet for me.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:15 pm living on the edge with Putinseva. There were safer picks, but I'm playing to win. Don't you hate it when you wake up and your second or third choice already won easily? That was Cornet for me.
Oh, the dreaded "I thought of picking such-and-such, who ends up winning 2 & 1, and then am suffering into a third set TB".
Only worse thing is changing picks into a losing choice.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:18 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:15 pm living on the edge with Putinseva. There were safer picks, but I'm playing to win. Don't you hate it when you wake up and your second or third choice already won easily? That was Cornet for me.
Oh, the dreaded "I thought of picking such-and-such, who ends up winning 2 & 1, and then am suffering into a third set TB".
Only worse thing is changing picks into a losing choice.
Which is why I didn't change. Immediately thought about it.

Post by JTContinental »

We lost an additional 5 Golubic pickers from yesterday's matches (the 6th player was a no pick today), so numbers adjusted to 87
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Fortunately for us, Putty's opponent today was just un-Bara-ble. :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by JTContinental »

Round 1 is in the books and I believe we have 84 people who were able to correctly pick 3 first round winners, which is no easy feat. But now it is time for Tuesday Morning Quarterback to turn his critical eye to the losers, and rate your failed pick as DANK or STANK. Please remember that all ratings are light-hearted, final, non-negotiable and correct. After all, whether DANK or STANK you still are, in fact, a loser. So let's have some fun!

Nuria Parrizas Diaz (30 victims): STANK If any of these now dead people had consulted TMQ--which they did not--I would have advised them against this honey trap pick. There is always one random player that plays above their ranking for a few lead up tournaments, only to flame out on the big stage. She won a tiny glorified challenger and won a couple of rounds in bigger tournaments (one by retirement with her opponent leading 6-1, 4-3). She's also 30 and making her debut here. She's played a tournament every week possible since the middle of February. I'm tired just thinking about that.

Viktorija Golubic (6 victims): STANK There is only a mild STANK coming off this pick. Golubic's only title is on clay, but her results show that her game favors a hard court, and Volynets is an up and coming player that I think will have a solid, journeywoman-type career. Golubic should have won, but this match was a 50/50 gamble.

Liudmila Samsonova (5 victims) STANK Also only a faint whiff of STANK-- After TMQ declared last year that we would never see Samsonova again at a grand slam, she has stubbornly refused to bow to my wisdom, and has shot up the rankings. That said, she's untested at slams still, and I think Kovinic is actually the better player in this match up.

Marta Kostyuk (3 victims) DANK Even the almost always irreverent TMQ isn't going to dunk too hard on Ukrainian players. No one can guess what issues are happening for them behind the scenes right now that may or may not affect their level of play. One could argue that makes them unreliable picks for the game we are playing, though.

Alize Cornet (1 victim) STANK This pick would have been awesome if it had been made on the day that Cornet was playing.

Anett Kontaveit (1 victim) DANK Kontaveit kind of sucks on clay, but this was still an inexplicable loss.

Linda Noskova (1 victim) DANK This was the gutsiest pick of all the losers, and it could have happened for you. Last year's junior champ here showed she has the goods to be a force to be reckoned with, at least on this surface.

And now we are all caught up on the R128 non-winning action. TMQ will return tomorrow to hopefully berate a whole new slate of losers!

Post by JTContinental »

Day 4 dawns with picks that seem like good ideas now, but how will we feel about them in 12 hours? After 4 no picks, we are down to just 80 after 1 round of play.

Day 4 picks:

Jil Teichmann 27
Angelique Kerber 12
Amanda Anisimova 11
Coco Gauff 7
Elise Mertens 6
Victoria Azarenka 5
Ajla Tomljanovic 4
Leylah Fernandez 2
Petra Kvitova 2
Camila Osorio 2
Magda LInette 1
Maria Sakkari 1
joanjettson Brazil

Post by joanjettson »

I could blame my excitement for tonight's "Survivor" finale for my rare No Pick, or the drink I had after work, but really it was work. :flamed:
JemB United States of America

Post by JemB »

Bummers. I forgot to make my pick on Day 3; thought about it, set it aside and then forgot it! Better luck next time to me. My first time playing and you do a GREAT job with this. I'll be back! Kudos to the organizers for doing this first rate!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A question has been asked about the possibility to chose Zidansek for Day 5 of the WTA SP. The post is in the actual topic of picks.