'22 RG Day 6 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 RG Day 6 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

JTContinental wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:40 pm I think Anisimova will cream her
Again, she was doing that at IW, lost the plot in the second set, ended retiring due to some phantom injury.
It is not about strokes and power. I would say Leylah is along the lines of Murray: grinding you down, and frustrating her opponent. And Amanda can be easily frustrated.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:47 pm
If she holds her nerve, she should win. Big if. She would have lost today if Muchova didn't roll her ankle.
Not sure about that—the match was pretty dead even before Muchova rolled her ankle
Irena2 United States of America

Post by Irena2 »

Irena2 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:59 pm We only have one TC via sling TV, (our internet provider doesn't allow Bally and we don't have cable TV) so now it seems watching Zv#$%* is the only choice.
meganfernandez wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:12 pm TC Plus is a great value. $100/year, I think, massive amount of tennis. But do you really want to watch Khachanov/Norrie?

I tend for get that Khachanov exists.
I do like Khachanov. And I haven't seen Norrie much at all, so that would have been interesting to watch.

We did try TC Plus some years ago when it cost $70ish dollars per year, but Motobass and I just don't watch enough tennis other than slams to justify the cost. If TC had a "Plus Ticket" for Roland Garros only, or a monthly service with the ability to put it on hold, like other streaming services, we'd love that. We just added the sports package to Sling for $11 a month to watch Roland Garros.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Norrie continues his run of never making it past round 3 of a slam, despite being the 10th seed and having a great year or two.

Speaking of round 3, Elise Mertens has now made it to the third round of a slam for 17 consecutive slams! How’s that for consistency. Wish I’d have known that yesterday in the SP :roll:
Mary, queen of shots
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:24 pm Stephens will beat you and afterwards you will have no idea how and why.
Subtlest of players...a player's player..
Best description of how she plays I've ever read.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Korda's performance was, well, lacking today.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I watched a fair amount of the Teichmann-Azarenka match because I was surprised to see Azarenka up a set and serving for the match. Thought Teichmann would win going in.

Although I liked Teichmann's fight and Azarenka was placing the ball well before losing her nerve, the overall quality appeared more than a notch below Sasnovich-Kerber in my eyes. Might turn out to be wrong, but I see Anisimova, Mertens and Stephens as the most likely to reach the final from the bottom half. If Stephens is fit cardio-wise--a big if considering her play the last few years--she has more game than any of them, including Anisimova, and she can be surprisingly mentally tough on the occasions when she is not giving up. She would have beaten Halep in that 2018 final if she had cared half as much as Halep did.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:12 pm
TC Plus is a great value. $100/year, I think, massive amount of tennis. But do you really want to watch Khachanov/Norrie?

I tend for get that Khachanov exists.
Disagree about it being a great value. It's overpriced for what it is and the pricing setup is obnoxious. Name another streaming service that forces you to pay yearly and doesn't give you the option for a monthly plan that can be canceled at any time.

Not saying TC Plus isn't worthwhile, and the price will be more palatable to some than others, but in comparison to other services, it is not well priced at all. It's close to $30 more per year than ESPN+ for just a single sport, and that's with the newer , higher ESPN+ price. TennisTV is similarly expensive, though it at least offers a monthly plan. This is tennis being a less accessible sport yet again.

Post by JazzNU »

jazzyg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:28 pm I watched a fair amount of the Teichmann-Azarenka match because I was surprised to see Azarenka up a set and serving for the match. Thought Teichmann would win going in.

Although I liked Teichmann's fight and Azarenka was placing the ball well before losing her nerve, the overall quality appeared more than a notch below Sasnovich-Kerber in my eyes.
I agree, the overall quality is not what you'd assume it was given the scoreline.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:58 pm Korda's performance was, well, lacking today.
I turned it off. He seemed to have given up his fight and was just finishing off the match. I can't recall seeing that from him, but maybe it's happened when playing some of the other higher ranked players as well.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:41 pm
ti-amie wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:58 pm Korda's performance was, well, lacking today.
I turned it off. He seemed to have given up his fight and was just finishing off the match. I can't recall seeing that from him, but maybe it's happened when playing some of the other higher ranked players as well.
I was really surprised at Korda's attitude. I thought the match would be popcorn worthy and instead Carlitos just routined him.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Especially in view that Korda beat him on clay at Monaco. It should have been closer.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:19 am Especially in view that Korda beat him on clay at Monaco. It should have been closer.
He did just enough not to be called out for tanking.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

JTContinental wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:12 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:47 pm
If she holds her nerve, she should win. Big if. She would have lost today if Muchova didn't roll her ankle.
Not sure about that—the match was pretty dead even before Muchova rolled her ankle
The 'vibe' I was getting at the time of the injury was that Muchova was on her way to a straight set win.
While the score may have been close (at the time of injury), I felt that Muchova was much more in control of the match; that the match was on HER racquet, as they say.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower