'22 RG Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
JazzNU United States of America

Re: '22 RG Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Post by JazzNU »

mick1303 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:47 pm
For WTA I don't have now any source to populate a database other than SteveGTennis. WTA and ITF sites allow to look up a separate match or two, but the data there is in such form that I can't parse it en masse. in 2019 I counted 5 events in Australia, which were 60k. Badosa played in two of them - Burnie and Launceston. No retirements. The other 3 were in autumn (Darwin, Bendigo, Playford). I don't see her in the draws of those.
It's the Launceston one that she retired from according to the WTA site. Not sure what the disconnect is where one source would say it and the other wouldn't. She lost in the finals of the first tournament you mentioned, retired from the second.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

JazzNU wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:26 pm
For WTA I don't have now any source to populate a database other than SteveGTennis. WTA and ITF sites allow to look up a separate match or two, but the data there is in such form that I can't parse it en masse. in 2019 I counted 5 events in Australia, which were 60k. Badosa played in two of them - Burnie and Launceston. No retirements. The other 3 were in autumn (Darwin, Bendigo, Playford). I don't see her in the draws of those.
It's the Launceston one that she retired from according to the WTA site. Not sure what the disconnect is where one source would say it and the other wouldn't. She lost in the finals of the first tournament you mentioned, retired from the second.

Yes, it was a mistake on my part (the consequences of the import query glitch). Scores are getting mixes between matches.
I found a Klondike of tennis data on TennisAbstract site. Imported their databases already (ATP portion) and will be verifying my data against theirs (the overlap is above 90%). I will be adding lower level Davis Cup matches, which I'm missing and generally validating scores, players' data etc.
Undoubtedly it will improve the reliability of data.

If anybody knows how to contact their "chief" Jeff Sackman - let me know. He might be interested in validation results as well. Even preliminary glance reveals, that their data is not above errors/mistakes as well as mine. For instance they split Jose Edison Mandarino to two different players: Jose and Edison Mandarino ))
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mick1303 wrote:
JazzNU wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:26 pm

Yes, it was a mistake on my part (the consequences of the import query glitch). Scores are getting mixes between matches.
I found a Klondike of tennis data on TennisAbstract site. Imported their databases already (ATP portion) and will be verifying my data against theirs (the overlap is above 90%). I will be adding lower level Davis Cup matches, which I'm missing and generally validating scores, players' data etc.
Undoubtedly it will improve the reliability of data.

If anybody knows how to contact their "chief" Jeff Sackman - let me know. He might be interested in validation results as well. Even preliminary glance reveals, that their data is not above errors/mistakes as well as mine. For instance they split Jose Edison Mandarino to two different players: Jose and Edison Mandarino ))
Jeff is reachable on Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk