The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:32 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Is he willing to take on a Junior unknown ? :lol:
Wouldnt hurt to ask. :) go to Miami! I am seriously thinking about going. What a fun opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would have to do it before school starts.
It’s on Sunday! :)

Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:16 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:32 pm
Wouldnt hurt to ask. :) go to Miami! I am seriously thinking about going. What a fun opportunity.

I would have to do it before school starts.

Tomorrow? Don't know if mom can get a flight on that quick notice. I will ask her and I know she will look at me weird. :lol:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:52 pm Big Sascha has a great interview on the new episode of the Craig Shapiro Podcast. Said the he had to make Osaka do embarrassing things in public to get over her self-consciousness on court, that he and Serena are on good terms, and that he would love to work with Raducanu (he’s not worried about the turnover). And Anisimova.

Also, he won’t take another gig until the after the US Open - he has had offers - and will hit with anyone for free on Sundays in Miami. When and where TBA. So if you live nearby or want to meet me there… :)

I always think of him as a wannabe..Osaka, I heard, fired him because he was taking too much credit for her success..he thought Serena should promote him to coach but she wouldn't so he jumped ship...all gossip, of course, but reasonably credible.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:00 am I always think of him as a wannabe..Osaka, I heard, fired him because he was taking too much credit for her success..he thought Serena should promote him to coach but she wouldn't so he jumped ship...all gossip, of course, but reasonably credible.
I think that's a completely fair decision considering he went on to successfully coach. Nothing wrong with advancing your career, there is no reason he needed to stay as her hitting partner.

I do think he likes attention but he also does seem to build good relationships and be an effective coach.

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:49 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: I would have to do it before school starts.

Tomorrow? Don't know if mom can get a flight on that quick notice. I will ask her and I know she will look at me weird. :lol:
I got the impression that he'll do it for a few Sundays.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:37 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:00 am I always think of him as a wannabe..Osaka, I heard, fired him because he was taking too much credit for her success..he thought Serena should promote him to coach but she wouldn't so he jumped ship...all gossip, of course, but reasonably credible.
I think that's a completely fair decision considering he went on to successfully coach. Nothing wrong with advancing your career, there is no reason he needed to stay as her hitting partner.

I do think he likes attention but he also does seem to build good relationships and be an effective coach.
Podcast link:

It is totally fair, and he said he wasn't growing anymore and wanted new challenges. My big takeaway from the interview was that he seriously cares about coaching and succeeding. His path lay elsewhere at that time he split with Serena, and it was a good decision.

A few other things:
--He turns down a lot of money to wear a hat in the player's box. Never has, never will. He wants the player to be able to see his face and connect.

--He's not close with Serena and Venus. He and Serena caught up in Eastbourne after a long time, and it was a nice private chat, but it doesn't sound like they keep in touch.

--He respects Patrick's success and said they worked together well, but it doesn't sound like Patrick is his coaching hero.

--Sascha describes himself as extremely anti-social. Doesn't have any friends where he lives, in Miami, and doesn't pal around with other coaches on tour.

--He hooked up with Serena when she was looking for a hitting partner and he fit the bill. A mutual friend brought up his name. She went to Germany to hit with him for four days, then he packed his bags and moved in with her and Venus (and a couple other women - he said their names, but I didn't recognize them - one's probably a trainer). The first morning, he opened his bedroom door, feeling very self-conscious, and stepped in dog poop. One of their dogs had left him a present.

--He says he has only been fired twice - Naomi and Karolina. The other times, it was his decision. Says he's on good terms with Karolina. He thinks the injury probably led to their split. It has been a tough recovery, partly because this is the first time she has had a major injury like this (he says) and it's been frustrating for her (something to remember when we say she, or anyone else, is washed up... we rarely know the full story). They couldn't practice serves, couldn't hit volleys, and maybe he got blamed for the bad results or she just wanted to switch something she could control. He doesn't know for sure, but these were some of his musings. Agents or managers do the firing, and Karolina followed up with a lovely message to him, and there are no hard feelings.

--I was reminded that he helped get Wozniacki back to the top in 2017, when she made (and lost) seven finals (credit for the resiliency) and won the WTA Championships, which no doubt gave her some confidence to win the Australian a few months later. He didn't allude to this or anything, but I had forgotten that he worked with Wozniacki then. That was a big year for her.

--Said he believed in Mlandenovic more than she believed in herself, and she made excuses. He can't work with excuses.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:22 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:49 pm

I got the impression that he'll do it for a few Sundays.
I hope you get a chance to do it. I doubt mom will buy plane tickets for me to fly to Miami though.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mmmm8 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:37 am

I don't know how effective a coach with self-doubt and zero confidence could be ;)
(JOKING, Sunday morning Ponchi's a*****e-ness)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I love my coach and he has been with me since I was 7 years old. He will probably stay as my coach until I head off to college and then after college I will see where I am at with my tennis and make my decision from there in the future of a coach or not.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

EXCLUSIVE: Emma Raducanu will team up with Russian coach Dmitry Tursunov as she prepares to defend her US Open title next month... and success for the British No 1 could see him stay with her beyond Flushing Meadows

Emma Raducanu will be assisted by Dmitry Tursunov ahead of US Open
Raducanu is looking to defend her title but she has been plagued by injuries
In his playing days the Russian won the Davis Cup and reached World No 20
The Moscow-born coach has helped Anett Kontaveit and Aryna Sabalenka
Tursunov was also the last player to be beaten by Tim Henman at a Grand Slam
By MIKE DICKSON FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 17:00 EDT, 27 July 2022 | UPDATED: 17:11 EDT, 27 July 2022

Emma Raducanu has turned to a Russian coach to guide her as she begins preparations for her US Open title defence next month.

The Kent teenager is working with former Davis Cup player Dmitry Tursunov, who will be with her when she returns to action next week at the Citi Open in Washington DC.

If their initial spell together – which was confirmed to Sportsmail by her management - goes well he will take her through the coming North American swing of the main tour. A year ago saw her playing lower tier tournaments before exploding to prominence at Flushing Meadows.

Tursunov is a former world number 20, who has had considerable success with clients on the circuit since retiring as a player in 2017.

Most recently he took current Anett Kontaveit of Estonia into the world’s top five before they split after this year’s French Open.

He has also worked with another top five player in Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus, plus world doubles number one Elena Vesnina and Russian Aslan Karatsev from the ATP Tour.

Raducanu, always happy to take advice from wide-ranging sources, has not had a full-time coach since she finished with German coach Torben Beltz in late April.

In the intervening period she has received guidance from a number of figures, such as Canadian Louis Cayer, Head of the Lawn Tennis Association’s women’s division Iain Bates, and during Wimbledon former LTA coach Jane O’ Donoghue.

During an extremely solid career on the ATP Tour Dmitry Tursunov always had a reputation for being a something of a character and practical joker.

He wrote a well-followed blog entitled Tursunov Tales, detailing life on the circuit and the things he would get up to, such as hiding Roger Federer’s racket bag before a match.

After reaching number 20 in the world he has gone on to enjoy success in coaching. As he put it in a recent interview with tennis.com: ‘Sometimes I enjoy acting like an idiot, but I really know what I’m talking about and I’m passionate about it.’

Born in Moscow 39 years ago, the sport has been his life since moving to the United States at the age of twelve to pursue his dreams.

He now has the serious task of trying to take on US Open winner Raducanu, who since dramatically winning the Flushing Meadows title has shown only brief flashes of that form.

His coaching style is said to be forthright, but it has produced excellent results for aggressive baseliners Kontaveit and Sabalenka.

Raducanu has been hindered by repetitive injuries, which have highlighted the fact that she missed out on some physical development while focussing on completing her school education.

A side strain suffered at Nottingham almost kept her out of Wimbledon where, looking underpowered, she was well beaten by France’s Caroline Garcia in the second round.

Since then she has kept a decidedly low profile, but Sportsmail understands that earlier this month she travelled out to the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.

Much of the work she has done there has been of a purely physical nature, as she attempts to catch up with that side of the game ahead of what is a crucial run of tournaments.

All being well she is likely to play in Washington, the Canadian Open and Cincinnati before heading to New York. There she will have to defend a mammoth 2,040 ranking points, adding to the pressure already of being the defending champion.

Tursunov has the job of trying to further extract the undoubted potential of the British number one, who currently stands at number ten in the world.

In the sometimes confusing carousel of WTA coaching, he is working with Raducanu while his last player, Kontaveit, has hired Torben Beltz, who was dispensed with by the GB player back in April.

The Russian – who was the last player Tim Henman beat at a Grand Slam before retiring in 2007 – would not have been barred from Wimbledon this year, as the ban only extended to players and media.

During the tennis.com interview he gave a hint of what Raducanu can expect: ‘You need to have the other person agree with the process, and you have to find better ways of communicating and getting your point across. And, of course, players are quite sensitive - they're one of the best in their fields. It's about showing them they have room to improve.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tenni ... fence.html
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:15 pm EXCLUSIVE: Emma Raducanu will team up with Russian coach Dmitry Tursunov as she prepares to defend her US Open title next month... and success for the British No 1 could see him stay with her beyond Flushing Meadows

Translation. He won't be with her after the USO because it will not be a success.
But he has proven he is a good coach. If he guides her to a QF, to me, that will be a huge success.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:22 pm
ti-amie wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:15 pm EXCLUSIVE: Emma Raducanu will team up with Russian coach Dmitry Tursunov as she prepares to defend her US Open title next month... and success for the British No 1 could see him stay with her beyond Flushing Meadows

Translation. He won't be with her after the USO because it will not be a success.
But he has proven he is a good coach. If he guides her to a QF, to me, that will be a huge success.
The thing is, What will be a success after last years championship run? It is really hard to beat that run of last year. That is bound to be a failure. You have always mentioned goals to me and I think this is a good place for both of them to have goals. It may not be realistic to say , "Oh you are going to repeat as Us Open Champion." Sure that would be awesome, but like you say what are some goals to have to make it a successful relationship.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I just said it. A QF appearance will be hugely successful. 4R is fine. 3R is on the edge. 1R or 2R and well, that is not what she should expect.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Tursunov was also the last player to be beaten by Tim Henman at a Grand Slam
You know this is a British article when.....

Guess someone got his visas sorted.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:28 pm I just said it. A QF appearance will be hugely successful. 4R is fine. 3R is on the edge. 1R or 2R and well, that is not what she should expect.
I think she is a 4th Round or Quarter Finalist this year at the USO.