The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by ponchi101 »

She might be comfortable, but her success came with Darren.
I remember her saying that before but it is a bit strange to me. It is not as if Romanians are a tennis powerhouse. Then again, coaches can only do so much. So any half decent coach can help her, as she already has all the experience that she needs.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:34 pm She might be comfortable, but her success came with Darren.
I remember her saying that before but it is a bit strange to me. It is not as if Romanians are a tennis powerhouse. Then again, coaches can only do so much. So any half decent coach can help her, as she already has all the experience that she needs.
Her biggest successes and just all around improvement clearly came with Darren. I doubt anyone credits anyone but him with her Wimbledon win in terms of coaching, I personally can't even name the other guy. But it is good to remember Simona didn't initially choose Darren, he was chosen for her. Honestly, at this point, I wonder if she even remembers that.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

If Halep is looking to hire a Romanian coach, I believe that Nastase and Tiriac are available...
:lol:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Raducanu's search is rumored to be coming to an end. Carlos Rodriguez' name is being mentioned:
Emma Raducanu closes in on new coach with Carlos Rodriguez emerging as the frontrunner.

She is waiting for him to give her a sign...

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:16 pm Raducanu's search is rumored to be coming to an end. Carlos Rodriguez' name is being mentioned:
Emma Raducanu closes in on new coach with Carlos Rodriguez emerging as the frontrunner.

Very odd choice to me if that happens and I'd be surprised if that ends her cycle of coach hopping. But I wonder if she's even in control of making the choice and ending the partnership if it's not too her liking. It really sounds like every decision is being made by her dad.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:Raducanu's search is rumored to be coming to an end. Carlos Rodriguez' name is being mentioned:

Just got this, a full day later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Jamie Hampton started a bit of a firestorm on Twitter.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

Sven Groenfeld followed up with an idea for the WTA to create a stable of retired players to mentor or coach young players. As part of that, he said there needs to be more female coaches.

Who is the last tweet about? Guesses? Tursanov? Of the list of current coaches (https://www.wtatennis.com/coaches/list), I don't recognize many, although a lot of them could have played before I watched and/or never made the top 100. I wouldn't call Cahill's career average.
ti-amie wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:54 pm Jamie Hampton started a bit of a firestorm on Twitter.

Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:13 pm Sven Groenfeld followed up with an idea for the WTA to create a stable of retired players to mentor or coach young players. As part of that, he said there needs to be more female coaches.
ti-amie wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:54 pm Jamie Hampton started a bit of a firestorm on Twitter.

I think the ATP already does this?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:19 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:13 pm Sven Groenfeld followed up with an idea for the WTA to create a stable of retired players to mentor or coach young players. As part of that, he said there needs to be more female coaches.

I think the ATP already does this?
Maybe. It didn't come up in Sven's thread, though.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:16 pm Raducanu's search is rumored to be coming to an end. Carlos Rodriguez' name is being mentioned:

RUN AWAY, EMMA

Post by JazzNU »

Who is the last tweet about? Guesses? Tursanov? Of the list of current coaches (https://www.wtatennis.com/coaches/list), I don't recognize many, although a lot of them could have played before I watched and/or never made the top 100. I wouldn't call Cahill's career average.

I've had a few ideas about who she might target for a coach. Carlos wasn't one of them. One does fit this random guy's guess. But also, I have serious doubts that the coach she might want will want her. Leaving a somewhat stable position for someone who might dump you after the Aussie Open or at a moment's notice, regardless of success, is a hard ask.

Also, not that it isn't a good idea, but Sven making suggestions for that is a bit rich. He knows he's not just doing his promo gigs and tweeting anymore, right? "Hey guys, I just accepted a coveted coaching position with a top WTA player, but also, we've gotta do something about getting more female coaches opportunities Just not this one."
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Would you not accept a good job because you would believe that more people, from another group, should be getting more jobs in your area of expertise?
There would be more female coaches if women would hire more too. Mugu has been with Conchita for ages now. Murray hired Amelie for a considerable time. But other than that, I don't see anybody calling Martina to coach her, or any other former player.

About Emma: you are 100% right. If after one coach takes her to a USO win, and he still gets dumped, why would anybody want to step in? It sounds like the ultimate non-job security situation.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It seems to me that Emma (and her father) have been quite up front with the coaches over the years, and never inferred any 'job security'. At times, they've even scheduled the time frame from beginning to end that a coach will be working with her.
I don't believe they are in any sort of habit of cutting the legs out from under any coach; I think they've all known what they were getting into, and never expected it to be long-term.

Though it makes for an 'interesting' story, I don't see Emma and her dad as being anywhere near as 'ruthless' and unappreciative or dismissive as some people make them out to be (including some posters here).

With that said, I don't think many coaches would be hesitant to work with her - for however long or short a period of time it turns out to be. Maybe a given coach wouldn't suddenly drop a player he/she has an established relation with in order to jump over to Emma for something with less job security... but I think most, if not all, coaches who are not currently committed to a player would certainly entertain the idea of joining Emma.

I also think that coaching is overrated. And, as Pavlyuchenkova said, many coaches have huge egos, vastly overestimating their own value... and when a coach has a huge ego, he/she will definitely want to put his/her 'stamp' on the player - which means changing some significant things so that people will visibly see the 'influence of the coach'.
But making significant changes to a pro's game runs the very real risk of doing more harm than good.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:31 am
Also, not that it isn't a good idea, but Sven making suggestions for that is a bit rich. He knows he's not just doing his promo gigs and tweeting anymore, right? "Hey guys, I just accepted a coveted coaching position with a top WTA player, but also, we've gotta do something about getting more female coaches opportunities Just not this one."

I couldn't find this last night because I looked for a gif not a video, but this was what Sven reminded me of when I read that from him.