The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:Raducanu came out with an interesting semi-explanation today..says she needs, not so much coaching as sparring - players hit so hard nowadays..I am actually puzzled by that, if anyone handles pace well, it is Raducanu..and Leylah and Bencic and Kerber...
So Torben Beltz doesn’t belt the ball? And you can always pick up a different hitting partner, anywhere you go. A coach is different than a sparring partner. I think she probably needs a coach, too. But what do I know… :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Good point

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:Good point
Maybe he just didn’t want to.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:43 pm Raducanu came out with an interesting semi-explanation today..says she needs, not so much coaching as sparring - players hit so hard nowadays..I am actually puzzled by that, if anyone handles pace well, it is Raducanu..and Leylah and Bencic and Kerber...
That is kid of an odd statement. Sparring partners for WTA players are not hard to find. Get a good NCAA player and he can spar as well as anybody.
Side story.
Jana Novotna had her training partner. That was not her coach; it was the player that the coach asked to play in such way so that Novotna could practice. His name was Dante Mañoni, a Venezuelan guy that stalled at Futures/Challenger level. One day he was at the club I used to play in Caracas and was talking to some people, telling stories about his job and Novotna (he spoke glowingly of her). One person, jokingly, said: "So, have you ever taken even a set from her?". Mañoni replied: "Dude. The best she has ever done against me is a 4-6 set. It's a different level" (I am paraphrasing).
So I don't think it would be that hard for Emma to find players that will hit hard at her.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Not defending , just reporting!

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:04 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:43 pm Raducanu came out with an interesting semi-explanation today..says she needs, not so much coaching as sparring - players hit so hard nowadays..I am actually puzzled by that, if anyone handles pace well, it is Raducanu..and Leylah and Bencic and Kerber...
That is kid of an odd statement. Sparring partners for WTA players are not hard to find. Get a good NCAA player and he can spar as well as anybody.
Side story.
Jana Novotna had her training partner. That was not her coach; it was the player that the coach asked to play in such way so that Novotna could practice. His name was Dante Mañoni, a Venezuelan guy that stalled at Futures/Challenger level. One day he was at the club I used to play in Caracas and was talking to some people, telling stories about his job and Novotna (he spoke glowingly of her). One person, jokingly, said: "So, have you ever taken even a set from her?". Mañoni replied: "Dude. The best she has ever done against me is a 4-6 set. It's a different level" (I am paraphrasing).
So I don't think it would be that hard for Emma to find players that will hit hard at her.
Not an issue at all. Big Sascha was Serena's hitting partner for years.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Side story.
Not agreeing with Raducamu, just reporting.
Re Novotna, yes, Chris Evert used to play her brother all the time- never won a set. And he is only a teaching pro..it is a different game altogether

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:
Side story.
Not agreeing with Raducamu, just reporting.
Re Novotna, yes, Chris Evert used to play her brother all the time- never won a set. And he is only a teaching pro..it is a different game altogether
I know you’re not agreeing with Raducanu. ;) didn’t mean to suggest you are.

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Maybe Delgado told Denis that he behaves like an immature ass too often, and Denis replied with "STFU!!! That's it - I can't handle this - you're fired!"

Felix really needs to become a father figure for Denis - even though Felix is younger.
In terms of behaviour, Felix is 47 years old, and Denis is 12.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Denis isn't my favorite, and part of that is his attitude, so I don't say this lightly, but he was acting like a special brand of asshole during his match.

I assume Jamie can get another coaching job, and I can't say that's a bad thing for him if Denis keeps this energy at any other time. Must be exhausting.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Same for me for Dennis. I could really like his game; the BH is beautiful and I like the serve. But the whinny, little, entitled brat attitude kills any enthusiasm for him. By now, I root for his opponent almost always (Djokovic and Medvedev are the exceptions).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Diego Moyano is Coco's newish coach. He was sitting to the right of Coco's dad today. Looks like he joined around Madrid or thereabouts. I'm not familiar with him, but he was previously Kevin Anderson's coach. Looks like he has roots in the USTA and has coached a few other US men's players as well.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I hope he works on her serve.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »