The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
User avatar
meganfernandez United States of America
Posts: 5209
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 pm
Has thanked: 2641 times
Been thanked: 1830 times

The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#316

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote:
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:28 pm I just said it. A QF appearance will be hugely successful. 4R is fine. 3R is on the edge. 1R or 2R and well, that is not what she should expect.
I think she is a 4th Round or Quarter Finalist this year at the USO.
I worry about the pressure to defend her points and just not having any confidence from match wins.

I disagree with expectations to win a couple rounds - or anything. She’s adjusting to a major life and career change, and she has shown that she isn’t developed enough to play at her US Open level very often. No shame in that. She’ll get there. So for me, zero expectations. No such thing as failure in her case.

Surprised by the choice of Tursanov, but maybe they clicked. That’s most important.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 am
Location: USA
Has thanked: 267 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#317

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:27 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:28 pm I just said it. A QF appearance will be hugely successful. 4R is fine. 3R is on the edge. 1R or 2R and well, that is not what she should expect.
I think she is a 4th Round or Quarter Finalist this year at the USO.
I worry about the pressure to defend her points and just not having any confidence from match wins.

I disagree with expectations to win a couple rounds - or anything. She’s adjusting to a major life and career change, and she has shown that she isn’t developed enough to play at her US Open level very often. No shame in that. She’ll get there. So for me, zero expectations. No such thing as failure in her case.

Surprised by the choice of Tursanov, but maybe they clicked. That’s most important.
Does that mean you think she will lose in the 1st Round or just the expectations with the new coach? I agree she goes in with the new coach and develops something together and sees what happens. I don't know if one major is enough time to really develop and connect enough. They need much more time together to really see if it works.
User avatar
ti-amie United States of America
Posts: 24152
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:44 pm
Location: The Boogie Down, NY
Has thanked: 5502 times
Been thanked: 3451 times

Honorary_medal

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#318

Post by ti-amie »

Tursunov worked wonders with Kontaveit and Sabalenka if I remember correctly. The only thing here is that he's coming in late and I'm not sure Raducanu will be as receptive as the other two players were. He will have to rebuild her physically and mentally and the US Open is weeks away. My guess is that they will give her as soft a draw as they can get away with so she can make at least the third round. They won't be able to protect her much after that.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
3mlm United States of America
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:52 am
Location: Redding CA
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#319

Post by 3mlm »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:22 pm
I guess he's stopped trembling with fear because he knows when he'll be fired?
User avatar
Deuce Canada
Posts: 4531
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:52 am
Location: An unparallel universe
Has thanked: 322 times
Been thanked: 974 times

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#320

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:27 am I worry about the pressure to defend her points and just not having any confidence from match wins.

I disagree with expectations to win a couple rounds - or anything. She’s adjusting to a major life and career change, and she has shown that she isn’t developed enough to play at her US Open level very often. No shame in that. She’ll get there. So for me, zero expectations. No such thing as failure in her case.
^ There will be massive expectations from the media and from fans whether she likes it or not.
3mlm wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:06 am
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:22 pm
I guess he's stopped trembling with fear because he knows when he'll be fired?
^ Money has a way to stop trembling. :D
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
User avatar
Suliso Latvia
Posts: 4542
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:30 pm
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Has thanked: 281 times
Been thanked: 1525 times

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#321

Post by Suliso »

I think it's a R1 loss for Raducanu unless the draw is particularly soft. In that case R2 exit.
ashkor87 India
Posts: 4984
Joined: Wed May 26, 2021 6:18 am
Location: India
Has thanked: 2557 times
Been thanked: 897 times

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#322

Post by ashkor87 »

I wonder why almost all coaches are male...I was thrilled when Murray chose Mauresmo, even if it didn't work out much...I hope to see the day when women coaches abound , and succeed. Conchita did it, why not others?!
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 am
Location: USA
Has thanked: 267 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#323

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:59 am I wonder why almost all coaches are male...I was thrilled when Murray chose Mauresmo, even if it didn't work out much...I hope to see the day when women coaches abound , and succeed. Conchita did it, why not others?!
I don't see why they couldn't be. If they study the game and have the skills why not?
User avatar
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin
Posts: 15183
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:40 pm
Location: New Macondo
Has thanked: 3953 times
Been thanked: 5829 times
Contact:

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#324

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:58 am I think it's a R1 loss for Raducanu unless the draw is particularly soft. In that case R2 exit.
Yes. Can't see her going further than that. And if she draws a Camila Osorio, Alize, Naomi, Bianca, Tauson, Pera or many of the dangerous non-seeds, it will be over quickly.
And start building from scratch. Which can work.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
User avatar
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin
Posts: 15183
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:40 pm
Location: New Macondo
Has thanked: 3953 times
Been thanked: 5829 times
Contact:

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#325

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:24 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:59 am I wonder why almost all coaches are male...I was thrilled when Murray chose Mauresmo, even if it didn't work out much...I hope to see the day when women coaches abound , and succeed. Conchita did it, why not others?!
I don't see why they couldn't be. If they study the game and have the skills why not?
Remember we talked a bit about it? A player like Wozniacki simply would not want to be a coach. You can count out Serena or Venus; they will have much more interesting things to do. Several players will also choose the family route.
Yes, I would like to see more female coaches, but it seems to me women decide to have different lives. Even Mauresmo dropped out of that lifestyle, and went to other venues. If it is their professional choice, be it.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 am
Location: USA
Has thanked: 267 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#326

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:31 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:24 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:59 am I wonder why almost all coaches are male...I was thrilled when Murray chose Mauresmo, even if it didn't work out much...I hope to see the day when women coaches abound , and succeed. Conchita did it, why not others?!
I don't see why they couldn't be. If they study the game and have the skills why not?
Remember we talked a bit about it? A player like Wozniacki simply would not want to be a coach. You can count out Serena or Venus; they will have much more interesting things to do. Several players will also choose the family route.
Yes, I would like to see more female coaches, but it seems to me women decide to have different lives. Even Mauresmo dropped out of that lifestyle, and went to other venues. If it is their professional choice, be it.
I understand if women decide after playing to go the route of starting a family that is really awesome and they should be able to choose that if they want, but they also shouldn't be looked at as any less of an option if they want to go the route of a tennis coach than a male.
User avatar
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin
Posts: 15183
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:40 pm
Location: New Macondo
Has thanked: 3953 times
Been thanked: 5829 times
Contact:

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#327

Post by ponchi101 »

Agree. But that is a personal hiring. If any WTA player is adamant on a male coach, that is her prerogative. I don't see how you could lead what amount to private contractors to contract somebody in a position that is so personally involved.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 am
Location: USA
Has thanked: 267 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#328

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:39 pm Agree. But that is a personal hiring. If any WTA player is adamant on a male coach, that is her prerogative. I don't see how you could lead what amount to private contractors to contract somebody in a position that is so personally involved.
A WTA player can have a male coach. That is no problem at all. It comes down to what works for the player. The same goes for an ATP player really.
User avatar
meganfernandez United States of America
Posts: 5209
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 pm
Has thanked: 2641 times
Been thanked: 1830 times

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#329

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:31 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:24 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:59 am I wonder why almost all coaches are male...I was thrilled when Murray chose Mauresmo, even if it didn't work out much...I hope to see the day when women coaches abound , and succeed. Conchita did it, why not others?!
I don't see why they couldn't be. If they study the game and have the skills why not?
Remember we talked a bit about it? A player like Wozniacki simply would not want to be a coach. You can count out Serena or Venus; they will have much more interesting things to do. Several players will also choose the family route.
Yes, I would like to see more female coaches, but it seems to me women decide to have different lives. Even Mauresmo dropped out of that lifestyle, and went to other venues. If it is their professional choice, be it.
The very top players aren't going to coach, but that leaves thousands of former tour and college players, for starters. I don't think they are all opting out. It's a lack of opportunity. They have a harder time getting into the pipeline for experience and probably have a tougher proving ground. Women don't get the benefit of the doubt in sports and careers. It's a shame. I'm sure many women would make fantastic coaches.
JTContinental United States of America
Posts: 2491
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:23 pm
Location: Seattle
Has thanked: 784 times
Been thanked: 1032 times

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

#330

Post by JTContinental »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:31 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:24 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:59 am I wonder why almost all coaches are male...I was thrilled when Murray chose Mauresmo, even if it didn't work out much...I hope to see the day when women coaches abound , and succeed. Conchita did it, why not others?!
I don't see why they couldn't be. If they study the game and have the skills why not?
Remember we talked a bit about it? A player like Wozniacki simply would not want to be a coach. You can count out Serena or Venus; they will have much more interesting things to do. Several players will also choose the family route.
Yes, I would like to see more female coaches, but it seems to me women decide to have different lives. Even Mauresmo dropped out of that lifestyle, and went to other venues. If it is their professional choice, be it.
It actually wouldn't surprise me very much if Venus went on to coach.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest