ATP WTA Wimbledon GS 6/27/22 - 7/10/22

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: ATP WTA Wimbledon GS 6/27/22 - 7/10/22

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

The one thing I noticed during the interview that made me think she didn't understand the question fully is not only with that question, but with a few others she would frequently glance over to someone like either what does that mean or should I answer this question. She did this glance when this particular question was asked to her. As for the word condemn it definitely was a weird choice of words. Even if I would have gotten the question, I would have had to think a bit about what the reporter was really asking. Even being from America, I don't hear that word used a lot. Of course I know what it means, but it was a weird choice of words.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

With Suliso.
And, since I am the sole citizen of a dictatorship here in this forum.
I went back to Venezuela last year. On my way back, at the airport, this young man was being detained. He was a few steps ahead of me, so I could hear the conversation. The National Guard checking his passport (yes, in dictatorships THE MILITARY CHECK THE CIVILIANS) told him "so you are such-and-such". So he got pulled aside, they let me through, and this guy was being detained. Why? Because he is a "famous" Tik-Toker and he has posted some videos making fun of N. Maduro.
That was it. I did not see him boarding the plane.
Journalists should know: Russia is NOT a democracy. It is a dictatorship, run by a psychopath that kills people with poison gas and/or radioactive isotopes. And in dictatorships, you DO NOT condemn, publicly, the big man.
Rybakina lives in Moscow. She knows very well what happens to people that would have answered that question openly. Because, remember Peng Shaui? We are starting to forget about her, right? That is how dictatorships work.
And I am sure that Rybakina has a Kazakh passport, but I am sure she did not renounce her Russian one. So, she might be representing Kazakhstan, but as a still Russian citizen she could go back to Moscow after denouncing Putin, never to come back out.
Wimbledon trophy be damned.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:12 pm With Suliso.
And, since I am the sole citizen of a dictatorship here in this forum.
I went back to Venezuela last year. On my way back, at the airport, this young man was being detained. He was a few steps ahead of me, so I could hear the conversation. The National Guard checking his passport (yes, in dictatorships THE MILITARY CHECK THE CIVILIANS) told him "so you are such-and-such". So he got pulled aside, they let me through, and this guy was being detained. Why? Because he is a "famous" Tik-Toker and he has posted some videos making fun of N. Maduro.
That was it. I did not see him boarding the plane.
Journalists should know: Russia is NOT a democracy. It is a dictatorship, run by a psychopath that kills people with poison gas and/or radioactive isotopes. And in dictatorships, you DO NOT condemn, publicly, the big man.
Rybakina lives in Moscow. She knows very well what happens to people that would have answered that question openly. Because, remember Peng Shaui? We are starting to forget about her, right? That is how dictatorships work.
And I am sure that Rybakina has a Kazakh passport, but I am sure she did not renounce her Russian one. So, she might be representing Kazakhstan, but as a still Russian citizen she could go back to Moscow after denouncing Putin, never to come back out.
Wimbledon trophy be damned.
Scary Stuff for sure. Everyone when Donald Trump was president here in the USA was talking about how he was trying to take my country and turn it into a dictatorship. I don't like him much at all , but I never believed that would happen here in my country.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I defended the journalist who asked Kyegios' ex about the abuse allegations against someone else, but I won't defend this.

Whether or not she understood the question, nothing good was going to come from an answer. Nothing. Terrible job by that journalist.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:59 pm I defended the journalist who asked Kyegios' ex about the abuse allegations against someone else, but I won't defend this.

Whether or not she understood the question, nothing good was going to come from an answer. Nothing. Terrible job by that journalist.
I disagree. I know you're a journalist, so I respect your opinion a lot. But we didn't know what story that journalist was working on. I give journalists a wide berth to work on whatever they want. For myself, I draw the line at personally intrusive questions, but nothing that's out in the open or fair game. This tournament was political because of the ban directly related to the war. This reporter might have been doing a story where it was only fair to have Rybakina on record on her position about Ukraine. We don't know. It's way too easy to judge a question without any context of the story the journalist is doing. Also, so what if a journalists asks a bad question? You have to be perfect at your job every minute? Sometimes you try something and it doesn't work out. No one gets hurt. Any player can decline to answer. I'd much rather journalists feel comfortable asking whatever they want (with decency) than feel a chilling effect in the interview room. A restrained press helps no one.

I also defend the journalist who asked Tomljanovic the question about Nick. Not that person's fault they were called on first and the timing was unfortunate. This is an important issue. Ask away. Much better than being muzzled.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That is exactly the kind of point why I don't play doubles.
Butchering a swinging volley on MP would make me throw up, in shame for my partner.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »