'22 RG Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 RG Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

jazzyg wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:54 am I did not get to watch anything yesterday while on a car trip. What happened to Rublev in the fifth set tiebreak? I was following on my phone and he lost nine consecutive points from 2-1. The AP writeup credited Cilic, but it is incredibly hard to lose nine points in a row. I gather he was not cramping because none of the write-ups mentioned it.
Nothing physical. He really lost the track. Cilic played a very composed TB, Rublev didn't. It was as mundane as that.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

jazzyg wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:54 am I did not get to watch anything yesterday while on a car trip. What happened to Rublev in the fifth set tiebreak? I was following on my phone and he lost nine consecutive points from 2-1. The AP writeup credited Cilic, but it is incredibly hard to lose nine points in a row. I gather he was not cramping because none of the write-ups mentioned it.
Giving credit to Cilic in that tiebreak was appropriate. He was damn near flawless. He played the tiebreak the way he played against Medvedev throughout the match, a level we haven't seen from him in some time. Here are the highlights and a good portion of the tiebreak is shown though edited. Unfortunately you can't grasp all that Cilic was doing, like some of those shots he made were 95 mph, which helps to explain why Rublev had trouble getting it back. But it will give you an idea.

nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Suliso wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:25 am Not many truly unlikeable top WTA players. I just wish it was a bit less of a revolving door situation...
I totally agree with this. I mean, I never want the other extreme again, either. As much as I love Martina and Chris- that kind of domination gets very, very boring (and let's not even go there re: the Steffi years.0 But, while a random scrub winning a Slam can be exciting- I'd like to see some of the women step up and become full champions.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous: