'22 RG Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 RG Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

He has the same routine, for every shot. Blast the FH, blast the BH, run around the BH if at all possible. He has very little to no variety. At that level, it will take you to the top 10, and then, what is happening to him. No further.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:07 pm
Suliso wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:55 pm Cilic wins. Got this one right. :)
Huge missed opportunity for Rublev.
Missed opportunity for sure. But one he shouldn't have had. Sinner was taking him to the woodshed before he re-aggravated his injury.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, both 19 yo up and coming players lost in the QF's. Not a bad showing, and it looks promising for the tour.

Post by JazzNU »

I didn't see the entire Rune vs. Ruud match. Did something happen that caused some strife? Rune's handshake was less than friendly and Ruud's expression was like, "of course you're not mature enough to shake hands properly at the net."

Post by JazzNU »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:56 pm I didn't see the entire Rune vs. Ruud match. Did something happen that caused some strife? Rune's handshake was less than friendly and Ruud's expression was like, "of course you're not mature enough to shake hands properly at the net."

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Rune questioned A LOT, and it was A LOT, of balls, which I think Ruud did not like as he handed him a few close calls (Ruud would have known they were in).
And I know that Rune is, cough cough, a bit of a subject in another topic, but he basically talked to mom non-stop through the match. And I mean, Carlos-Justine non-stop level talking. If Ruud was a bit upset it is not totally uncalled for.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:10 pm Rune questioned A LOT, and it was A LOT, of balls, which I think Ruud did not like as he handed him a few close calls (Ruud would have known they were in).
And I know that Rune is, cough cough, a bit of a subject in another topic, but he basically talked to mom non-stop through the match. And I mean, Carlos-Justine non-stop level talking. If Ruud was a bit upset it is not totally uncalled for.
Rune is not going over well because of all that you described plus the handshake after reading through many comments of different posts. Ruud was willing to be a gentleman at the net, and most are saying class act, he had reason to be upset but was willing to set that aside. But for Rune to be like that after showing poor sportsmanship throughout is real special. Many have also correctly pointed out, not the way to ingratiate yourself to the tennis audience when you already have work to do.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Wow this kid is really making new fans isn't he?

I had the match on as white noise so I didn't see anything that happened. I just know that Rune's name is not said "roon" and that one comm was really happy that he was pronouncing it correctly.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

IN case y'all missed this- Rune also barked at Ruud during a changeover. It was also shown, btw, that Ruud had given Rune a point, where it was shown by the (imperfect?) Shot-Spot that Rune's shot actually had been out.

What a delightful little imp. :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Mr Rune seems to be the next incarnation of Mr Hewitt... Unfortunate as otherwise I have a soft spot for Danish players.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

The irony is, I actually WANTED to like this kid. He's got a lot of talent and creativity. I am sick and tired of hating on these Baby ATP players, and I'd much rather just enjoy watching these damned matches. (At least, I'm truly enjoying the matches of a lot of the new WTA players.)
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Not many truly unlikeable top WTA players. I just wish it was a bit less of a revolving door situation...
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I did not get to watch anything yesterday while on a car trip. What happened to Rublev in the fifth set tiebreak? I was following on my phone and he lost nine consecutive points from 2-1. The AP writeup credited Cilic, but it is incredibly hard to lose nine points in a row. I gather he was not cramping because none of the write-ups mentioned it.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:29 am IN case y'all missed this- Rune also barked at Ruud during a changeover. It was also shown, btw, that Ruud had given Rune a point, where it was shown by the (imperfect?) Shot-Spot that Rune's shot actually had been out.

What a delightful little imp. :gorgeous:
Yeah, it was a bratty moment for him. Hope he matures. Ruud had the perfect response.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:37 am Mr Rune seems to be the next incarnation of Mr Hewitt... Unfortunate as otherwise I have a soft spot for Danish players.
There. I could not pinpoint what is about him that was turning me off. Txs for enlightening me. And as I never, never could stand Leyton, I guess that settles it for me and Holger.
nelslus wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:46 am The irony is, I actually WANTED to like this kid. He's got a lot of talent and creativity. I am sick and tired of hating on these Baby ATP players, and I'd much rather just enjoy watching these damned matches. (At least, I'm truly enjoying the matches of a lot of the new WTA players.)
Spot on. If only one could just watch the tennis, and not have to deal with the side details.