'22 Day 13 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 Day 13 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

Side story. They just showed Rafa's box. Maribel's look is as if Rafa had been injured.
One can't say much from things like this, but these are good people. It seems, from small details like this, that they are a good family.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

That was a heck of a couple of sets. Really awful that it ended that way.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

It was completely awful that it ended that way, but it was not a heck of a couple of sets. It was terrible tennis. Even the one exception, when Rafa played out of his mind to come back from 2-6 down in the first-set tiebreak, came with some questionable decisions by Zverev, who served and volleyed at 6-3 because he was afraid to hit a groundstroke.

Compelling? Yes. But some of the worst misses I've ever seen in a slam semi by both players, repeatedly.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ESPN L. America obviously has to fill in now for a lot of open time they were not counting on.
Pablo Stecco, whom I find reasonable, has started a conversation that, amongst the Spanish press (he is Argentinean, so he moves in the Spanish speaking corps) there are lots of rumors that this will be Rafa's final RG. Not retirement, but he will not be coming back for next year.
All the talking heads, which right now include Pico Monaca, Lucho Horna (RG Doubles winner), and Ferrer, are saying that it is possible. That Rafa is playing with a lot of pain in that injured foot.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:56 pm ESPN L. America obviously has to fill in now for a lot of open time they were not counting on.
Pablo Stecco, whom I find reasonable, has started a conversation that, amongst the Spanish press (he is Argentinean, so he moves in the Spanish speaking corps) there are lots of rumors that this will be Rafa's final RG. Not retirement, but he will not be coming back for next year.
All the talking heads, which right now include Pico Monaca, Lucho Horna (RG Doubles winner), and Ferrer, are saying that it is possible. That Rafa is playing with a lot of pain in that injured foot.
Yes, this is picking up steam. I expect Rafa to skip grass for sure, and probably not play another tournament, just Laver Cup. I think he'll retire this year, but not sure when or how he would announce it. Wouldn't shock me if he announces it after the final, if he wins. If he loses, it would steal the winner's thunder.

Post by meganfernandez »

Nadal has confirmed he isn't playing Wimbledon.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:39 pm Nadal has confirmed he isn't playing Wimbledon.
A very good decision. I hope to God we don't see anywhere near the same level of injuries we saw last year at Wimbledon, but grass is going to grass so it seems like it'll be hard to not come out of it completely unscathed on both tours.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:56 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:39 pm Nadal has confirmed he isn't playing Wimbledon.
A very good decision. I hope to God we don't see anywhere near the same level of injuries we saw last year at Wimbledon, but grass is going to grass so it seems like it'll be hard to not come out of it completely unscathed on both tours.
It has become a tough surface to play on. When you get wrong footed or have to run and stop in a hurry, the chances for an injury are very, very real.
I found it hard to believe that Roger, Serena and Delpo went down on grass, with serious injuries. I agree with you, I don't know how many players will have issues with the surface.

Post by meganfernandez »

Sorry... Carillo just said Nadal is denying the report. Now she is saying it didn't come up in the English conference, and in the Spanish conference, he said he would rather lose Sunday and get a new foot, and life is more important than "any career I had." Not sure if someone inferred the Wimbledon thing from that sentence or if it came up separately.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

What a sad ending...

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:03 pm
It has become a tough surface to play on. When you get wrong footed or have to run and stop in a hurry, the chances for an injury are very, very real.
Yeah, I've mentioned it before. I've never played tennis on grass, so I just don't know how it feels, but I've played several other sports on grass and know what slipping on it can do. And every other sport that I can think of played on grass is played with some version of cleats once you reach so much as varsity level. Some very low cleats, some a good deal more substantial but something that helps with stabilization to cut down on injuries that a slip on grass can cause. I hope the Nike, Adidas, etc. are workshopping a solution. Whatever dimple is on tennis shoes must have worked in the past, but doesn't appear to be working as well with the increased power and speed with the updated equipment in tennis.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ESPN reporting that Rafa stayed with Zverev and both left Chatrier together. Zverev, as expected, in crutches.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:16 pm Pico Monaco is describing it as the same injury he had years ago. They are showing the replay here and it is a complete roll-over of the ankle, twice. He rolled over it AND fell on top of it.
Is Pico Monaco the same as Juan Monaco? If so, again, didn't know he was doing commentating, but happy to hear it.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Yip.
:steven:

Post by JazzNU »

Good lord. Wonder if she got the glue idea from the NBA demonstrator.