'22 Wimbledon Ladies Draw

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments

Wimbledon 2022. Who takes it (after QF's)

Jabeur (#3)
42%
Halep (#19)
33%
Rybakina (#21)
17%
Anisimova (#25)
No votes
Tomjlanovic (#45)
No votes
Bouzkova (#65)
8%
Niemeier (#97)
No votes
Maria (#105)
No votes

Total votes: 12

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 Wimbledon Ladies Draw

Post by ponchi101 »

You are dropping into "you can't imagine" she was well. Serena never mentioned she was sick, and for athletes, a win is a win. Wawrinka never says "my Australian Open, which I won because Rafa was injured...". The win was there.
And, at that time, winning a match against Serena was an important win. Athletes can't go and qualify every match with "I won because my opponent was sick", or "I won because I was lucky" or something like that. For an athlete, s/he has to believe the match was played fairly, against a quality opponent.
And the media is reporting a big upset. They have the right to bring in some other tidbits.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Tatjana Maria in 3 sets over Ostapenko.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

We were all wrong about almost everything...

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

With all the upsets that are happening, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more come and we don't end up with a Cornet vs. Bouzkova final.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:31 pm We were all wrong about almost everything...
I will do as you did with your correct HaddadMaia prediction, and say that I picked Maria in Predictions. :D
If I am allowed a motorsport comparison: Alona's game is like an Alfa Romeo. Beautiful design, superb handling, superior power. And famously unreliable, and, when they break down, very hard to fix and super expensive (the analogy breaks down there). When Alona is firing in all cylinders, she is amazing, Then cylinders 1, 5 and 7 start misfiring and it is a mess.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I'm still hoping for my big Badosa jackpot :P
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:36 pm With all the upsets that are happening, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more come and we don't end up with a Cornet vs. Bouzkova final.
I chose OTHER as the winner, and sincerely, if we get Maria Vs Rybakina, I will not be surprised.
I am committed in my predictions: Jabeur/Anisimova. And have zero confidence in that forecast.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:40 pm I'm still hoping for my big Badosa jackpot :P
Started with a big prediction (BHM) and may end with another big one.
And, you know this, it will do nothing for your reputation here at TAT2.0. We are that childish.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:41 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:36 pm With all the upsets that are happening, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more come and we don't end up with a Cornet vs. Bouzkova final.
I chose OTHER as the winner, and sincerely, if we get Maria Vs Rybakina, I will not be surprised.
I am committed in my predictions: Jabeur/Anisimova. And have zero confidence in that forecast.
I am gonna stick with Anisimova vs. Jabeur but really anything could happen at this point.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:15 pm You are dropping into "you can't imagine" she was well. Serena never mentioned she was sick, and for athletes, a win is a win. Wawrinka never says "my Australian Open, which I won because Rafa was injured...". The win was there.
And, at that time, winning a match against Serena was an important win. Athletes can't go and qualify every match with "I won because my opponent was sick", or "I won because I was lucky" or something like that. For an athlete, s/he has to believe the match was played fairly, against a quality opponent.
And the media is reporting a big upset. They have the right to bring in some other tidbits.
I was there. I saw it.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

As a tennis player no matter what level you play at when you step onto that court you expect to win that match and give all that you can give to win that match. You are expecting the same from your opponent as well. So no matter what you get from your opponent on that given day or however you play if you come off the court with the win, it is still a win. You might have played the best tennis of your life that day or you might still have to go back and work on things. Whatever your opponent gives you on that particular day is totally out of your control. You might play a top player that has an off day that day for some reason or a player that plays great and you slip by with the win. It doesn't really matter because you came out with the W and you move onto the next match.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ashkor. Yes, you said it (that you were there), and maybe indeed Serena was not playing at her 100%. Maybe a physical ailment, maybe an injury. My point is that Cornet cannot go around thinking "Oh, I only beat Serena because she was sick". That is not a conducive mentality for a professional athlete. Serena won the 1st, and Cornet won the next two, and she has to see it as a valid victory.
What would have been a proper response from a question like that? "Oh you know I only beat Serena because she was not feeling well". That would have been a very odd way to describe such a victory.
I am sure that Hurkacz does not think of his last year victory over Federer as "I only beat him because he was injured" (which, since Roger went under the knife and has not played since, seems a very reasonable thing to say). Hurkacz must be very proud of that victory, and rightly so.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Looking up at the original poll there are only two ladies left(Badosa & Jabeur) in the poll and then there is the other column. There is still the possibility that the final could be Badosa vs. Jabeur , but the way things have played out that is highly unlikely.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I will delete that poll after today and will update to one with players that have reached the QF.
And yes, even though there will be 8 players to pick from, I will still include OTHER in the poll. Simply because she is my favorite player.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:25 pm I will delete that poll after today and will update to one with players that have reached the QF.
And yes, even though there will be 8 players to pick from, I will still include OTHER in the poll. Simply because she is my favorite player.
I will choose other just for you. :lol: