'22 Wimbledon Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Suliso Latvia

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Post by Suliso »

Suliso, old and wise in the ways of the world, had been telling you all that Haddad Maia is ripe for an early exit, but who would listen?

:P
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:10 pm Suliso, old and wise in the ways of luckiest bastard in the world, had been telling you all that Haddad Maia is ripe for an early exit, but who would listen?

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:10 pm Suliso, old and wise in the ways of the world, had been telling you all that Haddad Maia is ripe for an early exit, but who would listen?

And humble! Don't forget HUMBLE!
You were totally right, indeed. She will have to get satisfaction from two very well earned trophies, and first round money here. Still, a very good grass court season for her.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:20 pm Tauson should not have played. She's jeopardising her entire season by not healing her injury properly.
I wa$ $urpri$ed that $he played, and $urprised $he retired in the fir$y $et.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:57 pmThanx, I have been so lucky to have so many great tennis people while growing up and playing tennis. Not only coaches I have had, but also my family. I try and take in everything. I have also attended several tennis camps as well and learned so much from the people there. Also listening to all the pros on these shows and tournaments talk about how to play the game right. I hope it is sinking in.
OK, look. We're all going to be nice to you. For now. However, you better come through for us, when you are our 2025 Wimbledon Pool pick.....

(AND, yes, your opponent will be Gauff.) :)
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:18 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:20 pm Tauson should not have played. She's jeopardising her entire season by not healing her injury properly.
I wa$ $urpri$ed that $he played, and $urprised $he retired in the fir$y $et.
don't they get the R1 prize money anyway? Or is that just in tour events? I thought they changed to the rule to avoid this very situation.

Post by nelslus »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:10 pm Suliso, old and wise in the ways of the world, had been telling you all that Haddad Maia is ripe for an early exit, but who would listen?

Truly, I picked her to lose today, too. (Then again, I was also ready for Garcia to bite the dust today.) HOWEVER- please do NOT bring up, or even think about the name of the 2011 and 2014 Wimbledon women's singles Champion. :freaking:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:17 pm

And humble! Don't forget HUMBLE!
You were totally right, indeed. She will have to get satisfaction from two very well earned trophies, and first round money here. Still, a very good grass court season for her.
You're right - the humblest ever!

More seriously sure I'm a bit lucky here since I said it before the draw was made. However, I often approach matches in a lower tier from a statistical point of view. 70-80% of the time barely known players who catch a hot streak in small tournaments before the Slam fizzle out early. I didn't see any reason to think Haddad Maia would buck the trend. There was no need to watch a single point she has ever played on grass or elsewhere to make this call.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:27 pm

Truly, I picked her to lose today, too. (Then again, I was also ready for Garcia to bite the dust today.) HOWEVER- please do NOT bring up, or even think about the name of the 2011 and 2014 Wimbledon women's singles Champion. :freaking:
Well, I like her too so let's not mention the name :D

Post by nelslus »

AND, on a much more non-Beatriz Haddad Maia note, I am really happy to have seen the last few games of the Van Rijthoven win. Really nice and fluid game, and it IS also lovely when players take advantage of their Slam WC's/very unexpected recent big match wins.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:32 pm AND, on a much more non-Beatriz Haddad Maia note, I am really happy to have seen the last few games of the Van Rijthoven win. Really nice and fluid game, and it IS also lovely when players take advantage of their Slam WC's/very unexpected recent big match wins.
That's the only match I wanted to see that I didn't today. I'm looking forward to see him play his second round match, win or lose.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by nelslus »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:35 pmThat's the only match I wanted to see that I didn't today. I'm looking forward to see him play his second round match, win or lose.
Definitely worth your time. Excellent grass skills for sure. (Albeit, of course he'll lose 1, 1 and 2 next match.) :o
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:23 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:57 pmThanx, I have been so lucky to have so many great tennis people while growing up and playing tennis. Not only coaches I have had, but also my family. I try and take in everything. I have also attended several tennis camps as well and learned so much from the people there. Also listening to all the pros on these shows and tournaments talk about how to play the game right. I hope it is sinking in.
OK, look. We're all going to be nice to you. For now. However, you better come through for us, when you are our 2025 Wimbledon Pool pick.....

(AND, yes, your opponent will be Gauff.) :)
Um, I do dream that would happen. Now if the site does have a Division 1 NCAA Tournament pick em game that might be more realistic than playing Centre Court at the All England Tennis Club . I suppose I can dream though and dreaming big is a good thing. ;)

Really as my mom tells me all the time if I get a good education out of playing the game of tennis then this game will have taken me to great levels.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

There's no question Haddad Maia overplayed. I used to keep a stat called grass court warm-up wipeout (but don't have it around anymore) to show how many winners of tournaments played the week before Wimbledon flamed out to players they should have beaten.

But I'm not sure overplaying was a bad thing for her career. It's doubtful she will be impactful at slams anyway, and winning two tournaments is something most players never achieve. Halep, who did go on to tremendous slam success, won a tournament on clay and a tournament on grass in back-to-back weeks in 2013 on her way to five tournament titles that year, but she did next to nothing in the four slams and was criticized compared to Sloan Stephens, who did exactly the opposite. Meanwhile, Halep was building up her confidence and has had a much better career than Stephens.

If Haddad Maia had been fresh today, she still might have lost. We'll never know, but we do know she has two more tourney titles than anyone thought she would have at the end of the grass season.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:44 pm There's no question Haddad Maia overplayed. I used to keep a stat called grass court warm-up wipeout (but don't have it around anymore) to show how many winners of tournaments played the week before Wimbledon flamed out to players they should have beaten.

But I'm not sure overplaying was a bad thing for her career. It's doubtful she will be impactful at slams anyway, and winning two tournaments is something most players never achieve. Halep, who did go on to tremendous slam success, won a tournament on clay and a tournament on grass in back-to-back weeks in 2013 on her way to five tournament titles that year, but she did next to nothing in the four slams and was criticized compared to Sloan Stephens, who did exactly the opposite. Meanwhile, Halep was building up her confidence and has had a much better career than Stephens.

If Haddad Maia had been fresh today, she still might have lost. We'll never know, but we do know she has two more tourney titles than anyone thought she would have at the end of the grass season.
Agree 100%