2. Thanasi Kokkinakis v Kamil Majchrzak
3. Tallon Griekspoor v Fabio Fognini
4. Ekaterine Gorgodze v Irina-Camelia Begu

COURT 17 - 11:00AM

1. Frances Tiafoe v Andrea Vavassori
2. Caroline Garcia v Yuriko Miyazaki
3. Magda Linette v Fernanda Contreras Gomez
4. David Goffin v Radu Albot

by ashkor87 Eh? I thought Swiatek was to hit the first ball? What was that all about, then?!

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:31 am Eh? I thought Swiatek was to hit the first ball? What was that all about, then?!
Yeah, weird. Was it ever officially announced? Makes sense for the backup to be the men's defending champ. Mark this down as a time Wimbledon broke with tradition and absolutely nothing bad happened. (So let's break some more, shall we?)

by jazzyg The defending men's champion always has hit the first ball on Centre Court on Monday, and the defending women's champion always has hit the first ball on Centre Court on Tuesday.

With Barty retired, the debate always was about who would hit the first ball on Centre Court on Tuesday.

by ashkor87
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:19 am The defending men's champion always has hit the first ball on Centre Court on Monday, and the defending women's champion always has hit the first ball on Centre Court on Tuesday.

With Barty retired, the debate always was about who would hit the first ball on Centre Court on Tuesday.
that made sense in the days when Tuesday was officially 'ladies day' but now Raducanu would have already played on Centre court on Monday so the first ball on Tuesday has no value now..

by the Moz
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:19 am The defending men's champion always has hit the first ball on Centre Court on Monday, and the defending women's champion always has hit the first ball on Centre Court on Tuesday.
Once more, with feeling.

by ponchi101 And it is First Ball ON CENTRE COURT. Wimbledon, and if I remember well, all the four slams, start play outside of their main court earlier in the day. At W, 11:00 am, on the dot. So there will be several players serving a first ball all over the complex.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote:The defending men's champion always has hit the first ball on Centre Court on Monday, and the defending women's champion always has hit the first ball on Centre Court on Tuesday.

Ah okay thanks.

by Cuckoo4Coco Barty was throwing out support for the 2019 Champion Simon Halep which really made sense to me because she missed out on the opportunity to be the first lady to hit the ball on Centre Court in 2020 because it was cancelled because of Covid. Then Ash Barty retired. So it just seemed the right thing to go back to Halep but the Wimbledon officials did not want to do that.

by jazzyg I thought it would be Halep, particularly since she has a tough match with Muchova.

Maybe they prefer to have the opening player cruise to an easy victory, which Swiatek will do against Fett.

by JTContinental And...we made it 42 minutes into the tournament before the first rain delay

by Cuckoo4Coco
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:44 am And...we made it 42 minutes into the tournament before the first rain delay
I was watching the Riske match and she was rolling right along and now all I am watching is a Wimbledon tarp on the court. And to think I am losing sleep on my Summer vacation because of this. :lol:

by ponchi101 Play resumes, Ons just cruised on the first set.
First set of the Ruud/Ramos-Vinolas is not over, and the grass behind the baseline is already showing wear and tear. Service boxes, pristine. How the grass game has changed.

by jazzyg Risks the first player in 2022 Wimbledon to win a main draw match.

by Cuckoo4Coco
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:50 pm Risks the first player in 2022 Wimbledon to win a main draw match.
I watched the Riske match and she didn't have much difficulty at all. She seems to have a really good game for the grass surface. I think they said she reached the QF before.

by ponchi101 Major upset brewing on court 3. Hurkacz down two sets to Foki, who is also ahead in the 3rd (on serve, though).

by Cuckoo4Coco The rain is back. Ugh

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:45 pm Major upset brewing on court 3. Hurkacz down two sets to Foki, who is also ahead in the 3rd (on serve, though).
I was going to write that as well, but then he lost his serve after having 2 match points...

by jazzyg Hurkacz, who did not break serve in his quarterfinal and semifinal matches while winning Halle, did not break serve today again Davidovich Fokina until he was dpwn two sets and 5-3, 40-0. He chose that moment to win five straight points and get back on serve before a rain delay at 5-all.

by Suliso
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:55 pm Hurkacz, who did not break serve in his last two matches while winning Halle, did not break serve today again Davidovich Fokina until he was dpwn two sets and 5-3, 40-0. He chose that moment to win five straight points and get back on serve before a rain delay at 5-all.
Did you see those points? He did something special or DF simply crumbled under pressure?

by ponchi101 Excellent second set by Kwon. He won't win, but he can walk off court very proud.
The rain on the roof makes a lot of noise.

by jazzyg
Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:58 pm

Did you see those points? He did something special or DF simply crumbled under pressure?
I did not. Could have because I get the five extra channels on Directv, but I was watching something else. Wish I had seen what happened.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:58 pm Excellent second set by Kwon. He won't win, but he can walk off court very proud.
The rain on the roof makes a lot of noise.
This is exactly what we were talking about yesterday. Playing the #1 player in the world and doing well and I bet he is learning a bunch of stuff from the match as well. That is pretty weird to say since he is already a pro himself, but they also learn stuff too. He definitely should be proud of the way he is playing today.

by Suliso Alcaraz is also in trouble and in his case I'm far more willing to believe that he could lose.

by ashkor87 Djokovic looking sluggish and out of sorts...Kwon hitting some great forehands too but it is mainly Djoko not come out to play

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:28 pm Djokovic looking sluggish and out of sorts...Kwon hitting some great forehands too but it is mainly Djoko not come out to play
I bet he's nervous. Hasn't had the usual reps this year, trying to salvage a tough year, knows if he doesn't win then Nadal could well go three ahead in the Slam count. Even the very best get nervous, especially in the first round of a major.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:23 pm Alcaraz is also in trouble and in his case I'm far more willing to believe that he could lose.
Watching that one, and Struff's serve is delivering. This is wide open and indeed Carlitos may start preparing for hard courts pretty soon.
MAYBE. It is close.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:58 pm
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:55 pm Hurkacz, who did not break serve in his last two matches while winning Halle, did not break serve today again Davidovich Fokina until he was dpwn two sets and 5-3, 40-0. He chose that moment to win five straight points and get back on serve before a rain delay at 5-all.
Hurkacz was down three match points and came back to even the set?? Crazy. Sounds like Wozniacki the year she won the Aussie - down 5-1 in the third and two match points to Jana Fett in R2. Coming back propelled her to the title. Hubi made the semis here last year so I don't think his results in Halle were a fluke. We'll see what happens... I'd still put my chips on him. The rain delay doesn't help him, though.

by ashkor87 I always find it so strange that Wimbledon lets people walk on the court in front of the scoreboard during changeovers...looked even stranger when I saw it in person...

by Cuckoo4Coco Djokovic wins in 4 sets.

by ponchi101 A good win. He had to work a bit more than expected, but it was not taxing and he got a good workout.
ESPN was mentioning he is now the sole player ever to have 80+ wins at all slams. The records keep getting stretched.

by ponchi101 Hurkacz takes the 3rd, this should get straight now.
Something about Foki that just makes him unable to win big.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:13 pm A good win. He had to work a bit more than expected, but it was not taxing and he got a good workout.
ESPN was mentioning he is now the sole player ever to have 80+ wins at all slams. The records keep getting stretched.
I know he would say he is only looking at one match at a time, but we all know he is most likely going to go deep into this tournament. I think it is good though to drop a few sets along the way instead of blowing everyone away in the early rounds. Get some tests out of the way because he is going to have some tests with Nadal, FAA, or Berrettini.

by Suliso Carlitos losing would be a surprise, but not a huge one. Grass is not yet his cup of tea.

by Cuckoo4Coco Emma Raducanu wins 1st set 6-4. Not the easiest of set wins, but she is playing well against a very strong opponent.

by ponchi101 And Foki finally gets the match. Kind of a surprising result, I would say. I felt Hurkacz was solid for the tournament.

by Suliso Very surprising... Hurkacz was a break up in the fifth.

by Cuckoo4Coco First upset of the Tournament. Davidovich Fokina defeats #7 seed Hurkacz in 5 sets. Davidovich Fokina battled back after taking the first two sets and then seemed to collapse losing the next two after finally winning the final set in a tie breaker.

by ponchi101 Gutsy win by Foki, indeed, but yes, surprising result. I gather one more data point for a conversation we were having about players winning warm up events. Garcia (winner last week) is also in a tough match right now.
Mertens playing a really forgetful match against Cami. As if Camila had ever seen a grass court before.

by Suliso A pleasant surprise - Kontaveit didn't lose R1.

by ponchi101 I think she will go farther than we think. Let's remember she loves all things British. She can get to like this surface.

by 3mlm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:39 pm Gutsy win by Foki, indeed, but yes, surprising result. I gather one more data point for a conversation we were having about players winning warm up events. Garcia (winner last week) is also in a tough match right now.
Mertens playing a really forgetful match against Cami. As if Camila had ever seen a grass court before.
Her best slam result - R32 - was last year at Wimbledon.

by ponchi101 I stand corrected. It is just that when I hear "Colombian on grass"....... well, you get my point :)
(I have Mertens in the SP today. Out went all objectivity)

by Suliso Tauson should not have played. She's jeopardising her entire season by not healing her injury properly.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:39 pm Gutsy win by Foki, indeed, but yes, surprising result. I gather one more data point for a conversation we were having about players winning warm up events. Garcia (winner last week) is also in a tough match right now.
I would say, not that surprising. I considered Hurkacz a contender to win the title personally (had in the semis or finals), but he's been sometimey. He lost first round the week before he won the title in Halle, for instance. I think he'll get better at consistency as he matures and win when he's not having his best day. But Foki, who seems to really be finding his footing on tour this season, won the Wimbledon title as a junior, so he can't be that bad on the surface after he adjusts to it. He's also beaten him before. This was always a dangerous match. I think Hubi would've gone far if he got through this match, but this was always going to be a hurdle.

by ponchi101 @Suliso. What is Tauson's injury? If, as you say, it is of relevance, not smart to play here. An entire career ahead.

by Suliso I think it's a leg injury

by Cuckoo4Coco Good match for Emma versus a very strong 1st Round opponent. Glad to see she broke serve late in the 2nd set and then held her own serve to win the 2nd set in quick fashion. I feel she is going to settle in this tournament and go far.

by JazzNU
Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:20 pm Tauson should not have played. She's jeopardising her entire season by not healing her injury properly.
And some strange advice being given to play on the business side as well. Retiring in her first match coming off a known injury is typically when the player loses their prize money, so what was the point? Certainly not ranking points.

by JazzNU
Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:27 pm I think it's a leg injury
If it's a leg injury, than maybe that's why she played? The injury she had been dealing with since Rome was a back injury. Maybe she sustained a different injury during her match.

by jazzyg Garcia was two points away from losing to her unknown opponent (to me) five times but never faced a match point before winning the third-set breaker easily.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:34 pm And Foki finally gets the match. Kind of a surprising result, I would say. I felt Hurkacz was solid for the tournament.
Big upset. I believe Hubi was up 4-2 in the fifth.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:39 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:34 pm And Foki finally gets the match. Kind of a surprising result, I would say. I felt Hurkacz was solid for the tournament.
Big upset. I believe Hubi was up 4-2 in the fifth.
He was also up in the 5th set tie breaker.

by meganfernandez
Garcia won it, though, so the data points are a wash. :) It probably has more to do with the opponent, matchup, and first-round jitters than results the week before. Maybe some preparedness, since they usually have to travel and arrive just a day or two before starting.

by Cuckoo4Coco Carlos Alcaraz survives in 5 sets.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:17 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:13 pm A good win. He had to work a bit more than expected, but it was not taxing and he got a good workout.
I know he would say he is only looking at one match at a time, but we all know he is most likely going to go deep into this tournament. I think it is good though to drop a few sets along the way instead of blowing everyone away in the early rounds. Get some tests out of the way because he is going to have some tests with Nadal, FAA, or Berrettini.
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:28 pm Good match for Emma versus a very strong 1st Round opponent. Glad to see she broke serve late in the 2nd set and then held her own serve to win the 2nd set in quick fashion. I feel she is going to settle in this tournament and go far.
You're sounding far wiser than your age. :)

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:56 pm I think she will go farther than we think. Let's remember she loves all things British. She can get to like this surface.
And must like fast courts, since she did so well indoors last fall. (Kontaveit, right?)

by Suliso What happened to Osorio?

by ponchi101 Social Media saying she took a nasty tumble/fall on grass. I am adding more data points to my believe that grass has become the most dangerous surface. The drop shots and the wrong footing make it too easy to fall badly.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:44 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:17 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:28 pm Good match for Emma versus a very strong 1st Round opponent. Glad to see she broke serve late in the 2nd set and then held her own serve to win the 2nd set in quick fashion. I feel she is going to settle in this tournament and go far.
You're sounding far wiser than your age. :)
Thanx, I have been so lucky to have so many great tennis people while growing up and playing tennis. Not only coaches I have had, but also my family. I try and take in everything. I have also attended several tennis camps as well and learned so much from the people there. Also listening to all the pros on these shows and tournaments talk about how to play the game right. I hope it is sinking in.

by Suliso Suliso, old and wise in the ways of the world, had been telling you all that Haddad Maia is ripe for an early exit, but who would listen?

:P

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:10 pm Suliso, old and wise in the ways of luckiest bastard in the world, had been telling you all that Haddad Maia is ripe for an early exit, but who would listen?

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:10 pm Suliso, old and wise in the ways of the world, had been telling you all that Haddad Maia is ripe for an early exit, but who would listen?

And humble! Don't forget HUMBLE!
You were totally right, indeed. She will have to get satisfaction from two very well earned trophies, and first round money here. Still, a very good grass court season for her.

by ti-amie
Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:20 pm Tauson should not have played. She's jeopardising her entire season by not healing her injury properly.
I wa$ $urpri$ed that $he played, and $urprised $he retired in the fir$y $et.

by nelslus
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:57 pmThanx, I have been so lucky to have so many great tennis people while growing up and playing tennis. Not only coaches I have had, but also my family. I try and take in everything. I have also attended several tennis camps as well and learned so much from the people there. Also listening to all the pros on these shows and tournaments talk about how to play the game right. I hope it is sinking in.
OK, look. We're all going to be nice to you. For now. However, you better come through for us, when you are our 2025 Wimbledon Pool pick.....

(AND, yes, your opponent will be Gauff.) :)

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:18 pm
I wa$ $urpri$ed that $he played, and $urprised $he retired in the fir$y $et.
don't they get the R1 prize money anyway? Or is that just in tour events? I thought they changed to the rule to avoid this very situation.

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:10 pm Suliso, old and wise in the ways of the world, had been telling you all that Haddad Maia is ripe for an early exit, but who would listen?

Truly, I picked her to lose today, too. (Then again, I was also ready for Garcia to bite the dust today.) HOWEVER- please do NOT bring up, or even think about the name of the 2011 and 2014 Wimbledon women's singles Champion. :freaking:

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:17 pm

And humble! Don't forget HUMBLE!
You were totally right, indeed. She will have to get satisfaction from two very well earned trophies, and first round money here. Still, a very good grass court season for her.
You're right - the humblest ever!

More seriously sure I'm a bit lucky here since I said it before the draw was made. However, I often approach matches in a lower tier from a statistical point of view. 70-80% of the time barely known players who catch a hot streak in small tournaments before the Slam fizzle out early. I didn't see any reason to think Haddad Maia would buck the trend. There was no need to watch a single point she has ever played on grass or elsewhere to make this call.

by Suliso
nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:27 pm

Truly, I picked her to lose today, too. (Then again, I was also ready for Garcia to bite the dust today.) HOWEVER- please do NOT bring up, or even think about the name of the 2011 and 2014 Wimbledon women's singles Champion. :freaking:
Well, I like her too so let's not mention the name :D

by nelslus AND, on a much more non-Beatriz Haddad Maia note, I am really happy to have seen the last few games of the Van Rijthoven win. Really nice and fluid game, and it IS also lovely when players take advantage of their Slam WC's/very unexpected recent big match wins.

by ti-amie
nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:32 pm AND, on a much more non-Beatriz Haddad Maia note, I am really happy to have seen the last few games of the Van Rijthoven win. Really nice and fluid game, and it IS also lovely when players take advantage of their Slam WC's/very unexpected recent big match wins.
That's the only match I wanted to see that I didn't today. I'm looking forward to see him play his second round match, win or lose.

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:35 pmThat's the only match I wanted to see that I didn't today. I'm looking forward to see him play his second round match, win or lose.
Definitely worth your time. Excellent grass skills for sure. (Albeit, of course he'll lose 1, 1 and 2 next match.) :o

by Cuckoo4Coco
nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:23 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:57 pmThanx, I have been so lucky to have so many great tennis people while growing up and playing tennis. Not only coaches I have had, but also my family. I try and take in everything. I have also attended several tennis camps as well and learned so much from the people there. Also listening to all the pros on these shows and tournaments talk about how to play the game right. I hope it is sinking in.
OK, look. We're all going to be nice to you. For now. However, you better come through for us, when you are our 2025 Wimbledon Pool pick.....

(AND, yes, your opponent will be Gauff.) :)
Um, I do dream that would happen. Now if the site does have a Division 1 NCAA Tournament pick em game that might be more realistic than playing Centre Court at the All England Tennis Club . I suppose I can dream though and dreaming big is a good thing. ;)

Really as my mom tells me all the time if I get a good education out of playing the game of tennis then this game will have taken me to great levels.

by jazzyg There's no question Haddad Maia overplayed. I used to keep a stat called grass court warm-up wipeout (but don't have it around anymore) to show how many winners of tournaments played the week before Wimbledon flamed out to players they should have beaten.

But I'm not sure overplaying was a bad thing for her career. It's doubtful she will be impactful at slams anyway, and winning two tournaments is something most players never achieve. Halep, who did go on to tremendous slam success, won a tournament on clay and a tournament on grass in back-to-back weeks in 2013 on her way to five tournament titles that year, but she did next to nothing in the four slams and was criticized compared to Sloan Stephens, who did exactly the opposite. Meanwhile, Halep was building up her confidence and has had a much better career than Stephens.

If Haddad Maia had been fresh today, she still might have lost. We'll never know, but we do know she has two more tourney titles than anyone thought she would have at the end of the grass season.

by ti-amie
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:44 pm There's no question Haddad Maia overplayed. I used to keep a stat called grass court warm-up wipeout (but don't have it around anymore) to show how many winners of tournaments played the week before Wimbledon flamed out to players they should have beaten.

But I'm not sure overplaying was a bad thing for her career. It's doubtful she will be impactful at slams anyway, and winning two tournaments is something most players never achieve. Halep, who did go on to tremendous slam success, won a tournament on clay and a tournament on grass in back-to-back weeks in 2013 on her way to five tournament titles that year, but she did next to nothing in the four slams and was criticized compared to Sloan Stephens, who did exactly the opposite. Meanwhile, Halep was building up her confidence and has had a much better career than Stephens.

If Haddad Maia had been fresh today, she still might have lost. We'll never know, but we do know she has two more tourney titles than anyone thought she would have at the end of the grass season.
Agree 100%

by Cuckoo4Coco Collins has been taken to a 3rd set by Bouzkova.

by ponchi101 Carreño Busta out after splitting the first two sets. Another injury?

by JazzNU
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:35 pm Garcia was two points away from losing to her unknown opponent (to me) five times but never faced a match point before winning the third-set breaker easily.
She's a Japanese-born British player, got a wild card into Wimbledon. She played the warm up tournaments and she wasn't a pushover in her matches against more known players. I think the comparative amount of time these British players are able to practice and play on grass makes a world of difference in their performance and allows someone who might barely make a dent at another time of year, be very competitive during this short season.

by Cuckoo4Coco Wow, Danielle Collins goes out on the 1st day in 3 sets.

I was really close to picking her in the suicide game. Glad I didn't.

by ponchi101 I did not consider her, but I would have saved her. I thought she was solid for a 3R or something like that.

by JazzNU Didn't think Bencic would be struggling in this match, but here she is down a set and a break.

Marie Bouzkova played a great match against Danielle Collins and deserved that win. Very hard to know how that one would go, but she played very smart in the second half of that third set to get the break and serve it out.

by Suliso Belinda is likely another one not fully over her injury. Sad...

by Cuckoo4Coco
JazzNU wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:24 pm Didn't think Bencic would be struggling in this match, but here she is down a set and a break.

Marie Bouzkova played a great match against Danielle Collins and deserved that win. Very hard to know how that one would go, but she played very smart in the second half of that third set to get the break and serve it out.
I thought Q. Wang would have given Bencic a tough go at it, but she is blowing her off the court.

by JazzNU
Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:33 pm Belinda is likely another one not fully over her injury. Sad...
She's got a lot of kinesio tape on today, on her knee and down almost the entire length of the back of her leg.

by jazzyg I am in a contest where one of the things you have to do is pick the highest top 16 seed to go out first, and I had Collins.

It's not like I knew she would lose--Bouzkova made zero unforced errors in the second set and nine for the match and no one could have foreseen that--but Collins had played only one tournament since the Aussie Open in which she had won more than one match, has little history of success on grass and did not play a lead-up tournament on grass.

by Cuckoo4Coco
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:57 pm I am in a contest where one of the things you have to do is pick the highest top 16 team to go out first, and I had Collins.

It's not like I knew she would lose--Bouzkova made zero unforced errors in the second set and nine for the match and no one could have foreseen that--but Collins had played only one tournament since the Aussie Open in which she had won more than one match, has little history of success on grass and did not play a lead-up tournament on grass.
Bouzkova's low amount of unforced errors was unreal.

Bencic seems to want to make a match out of this one as she is now 1 game away from taking the 2nd set.

by nelslus Best friend for Q. Wang is the darkness. From what we saw, Wang was not the same after taking a fall. She managed to hold serve after the fall- out-of-nowhere serving 2 aces and a service winner. But, she was never quite the same. Bencic, who had been pretty much satisfyingly terrible down a set and 5-1, really didn't have to do much of anything, as Wang completely fell apart.

If this had gone to a third now, Bencic would have won. Now, at least Wang can get some treatment if something physical happened, rest, coaching, etc. (I mean, Bencic will win, anyway, mind you.)

by Cuckoo4Coco Only two matches remain for day 1. Murray on Centre Court and Heather Watson on Court 1. The rest are either finals or suspended because of being too dark.

Murray won the final men's game on court tonight in 4 sets. Heather Watson survived the 2nd set pushing her match with Korpatsch til tomorrow because they have some sort of rule where they can't play after 11 p.m..

A total of 6 matches will carry over from today til tomorrow(3 men's/3 women's).

The first day in my opinion was awesome.

Coco Gauff plays on day 2 so I am really excited for that.

by ashkor87 the first couple days are always tough, the ball bounces very oddly because the grass is fresh and thick.. anyone who relies on their timing to hit through the ball is going to be vulnerable in the first round - the bounce gets a bit more relaible by the third or fourth day, so easier to hit through... at least, that is what I have seen over the past 45 years of watching Wimbledon but who knows...

by Deuce

I said in another thread (Ladies draw?) that she was in tough vs. Juvan, who has been playing well...

I also called the Bouzkova over Collins result...

But I also thought Raducanu would likely lose her first round match (she won, but it was a good battle).

The Alcaraz - Struff match was very high quality throughout, and highly entertaining.

The Hurkacz loss was only a mild surprise - and only because Hurkacz has been playing well lately. Davidovich Fokina is a top end player who's capable of beating just about anyone on a given day.

Canadian Rebecca Marino lost a match she should have won. She was up in the 3rd set, and got broken in her last 2 service games to lose it 5-7 to a Polish woman who was playing in only her second Major main draw match.
Marino herself was playing the Wimbledon main draw for the first time in about 10 years (she was away from tennis for about 6 of those years).