2022 Wimbledon YCWJ Results and Lounge.

Think it's easier to pick losers than winners? We'll see about that.

Moderator: Contest Staff

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

2022 Wimbledon YCWJ Results and Lounge.

Post by ponchi101 »

This is were we can talk about this contest.
As you know, we have worked one spreadsheet where you can find your individual picks and the overall summary. THIS IS THE LINK
Please check your picks and, most importantly: remember that if one of your picks does not take the court, you will get a replacement (the LL that gets that position). If that happens, I will try to keep up and make the changes, but please also keep me posted.

I hope all of us have rotten luck (meaning our picks lose, not that... you know what I mean ;) )
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: 2022 Wimbledon YCWJ Results and Lounge.

Post by ponchi101 »

Since there will be at the very least one match pending, and in which there are picks, we will not update the score until that is settled.
Will post ASAP after the round is over.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The first round was finally completed, and we did really well. Or really bad. Or our picks scored us points dying ignominiously.
Ok, you get the point. Two players scored perfect 20's and three more scored 19's. Actually, 11 players scored 15 or better=
ycwj.jpg
Tenedab and weefunk are in the lead, but this is as wide open as this contest has been in a long time.
The link for the full scores is here. Please check your tab and let me know if I have made mistakes, which you know is likely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

When is the last time I have been in contention after the first round?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Probably as long a draught as mine :D
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Second round is over, and I can't recall this contest ever being this close:
ycwj.jpg
We have 6 players with 29 or more, and all with multiple picks left. Tenedab is in the lead, tied with Weefunk but with one more pick (6-5). All these 6 players have at least 4 picks remaining. Far, far from over, I would say.

Please, check your tabs and let me know if there is any mistake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

With round 3 over, we have a very tight race:
ycwj.jpg
Four players are grouped between 37 & 35 points, and all of them have picks left. Tenedab is in the lead, and holds 3 picks. Dave is in 3rd, and also has 3 picks left. So, for a first time in a while, this contest may come down to a bonus somebody may pick IF s/he picks the actual wooden spoon.
We also have our internal wooden spoon. TexasNiteOwl has ran out of picks and is sitting last, with 8 points. Far from our record, but the wooden spoon of the wooden spoon. Rubbing salt in the wound, we are so cheap we don't hand out any recognition to this achievement, which is tautologically odd.

Check your picks for errors.
Irena2 United States of America

Post by Irena2 »

I was hoping for the internal wooden spoon this time around after my abysmal performance in the first round. Can't believe I was overtaken! :o Drinks on me at Ye Olde Axe & Block Pub, TexasNiteOwl!
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

Irena2 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:48 am I was hoping for the internal wooden spoon this time around after my abysmal performance in the first round. Can't believe I was overtaken! :o Drinks on me at Ye Olde Axe & Block Pub, TexasNiteOwl!
lol. I knew I wasn't going to do well at the end of day 1, but this a new low...high?...for me. I'll take a few drinks. I'm a fan of margaritas any time of the year.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

SInce the BVDZ/Nadal match will make no difference in our scores, I can update.
ycwj.jpg
Two new leaders in this contest. A bit of analysis.
Motobass is in the lead (39 poinrs) and has TWO picks left. A #1 (WTA) and #3 (WTA). Looking good, but Niemeier is favored in her match (#1), while Bouzkova is not. So, 2 points are likely in the next round, maybe 6
Ponchi101. 39 points, only one pick left. But it is Jabeur, who goes against Bouzkova. Jabeur is favored, so maybe the end for P.
dave_g: At 38, with Bouzkova on the run. But she is his #2 pick, so if Neimeier wins, and Bouzkova loses, he will tie motobass but will remain in the run with a higher pick. Looks good.
Tenedab: At 38, with one pick left. But it is his #4 (WTA) so, he needs everybody to win, Rybakina to lose, and then score 1 point per round for a few rounds. A steep hill to climb.
And, the sole other player with 2 picks is Khotem1. He only has 22 points, but: he has Sinner as #4 (ATP) and also Bouzkova at #3. So, if those lines continue to lose (and Sinner goes against Djokovic, who then is the favorite) he could score two bonuses at #4 (5 points) and #3 (10 points). So he is not out.

Jabeur/Bouzkova tomorrow will decide a lot of things.

Links to our picks

Post by Irena2 »

I have questions about the scoring based on bonuses:
If your no 4 and no 3 most losingest picks win, would the number of points you could get be 7 points, not 15?
And if your no 1 and no 3 most losingest picks win, would the number of points you could get be 10 points, not 6?
It should be mathematically impossible to score more for 4th and 3rd most picks than 1st and 3rd most picks. Maybe I am misunderstanding the scoring - thanks!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The bonuses: IF you pick the wooden spoon correctly, the POSITION you chose them in, in reverse, gets multiplied by 5, giving you the bonus.
Your #1 pick gives you 4 points per round, and 20 as a bonus if indeed it was the wooden spoon. Your #3 gives you 15, your #2 10, your number #1 5.

Post by Irena2 »

I was asking about the scoring by rounds, because you get a bonus for each round, right? Thanks for explaining how bonuses work at the end! Okay, I'm just totally out of it, bonus scoring is only awarded if you pick the wooden spoon, then. So sorry!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Nah, don't worry Irena2. We all are in need of a bonus here and there ;)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

We have two more rounds to go, and Motobas has made it sure we will need them.
Motobass has almost assured the Spoon, since he has both Maria and Jabeur alive. Maria is his #1 pick, so he would get four points, but if the upset happens, he still gets two point, putting him at 47 points.
Dave g has Jabeur still, but at #2. If the upset happens, AND Maria loses in the final, he will collect a juicy 15 points bonus, PLUS 6 more points for two more rounds of winning/losing. Motobass would only collect 14 points, so Dave would pull ahead.
GlennHarman has Jabeur at #3, and is a bit too far back.
Tolulops has Djokovic as a #2 pick, and is a bit too far back.
Ktothem1 has Djokovic and Jabeur, but is also too far back (and his Djokovic ride is his #4 pick, which will earn too little).
Everybody else has been demised. You picked way too many winners.
ycwj.jpg
Links.