2022 Wimbledon SDP: ATP Picks and Results

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: 2022 Wimbledon SDP: ATP Picks and Results

Post by ponchi101 »

After the Bautista-Agut's Galipoli, that is the kind of post that wins you enemies around here :evil:
(I did not pick BVDZ because felt it was too early. And BA looked like a very safe pick. Joking about the enemies above ;) )
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

It sure looked like Bautista Agut was a very safe pick and a lot of people would have agreed with you. Only if ya all would have had some inside info. on how he was feeling.

I don't know if this is a smart way to go about this whole SP thing but I have been trying to avoid the players that have been bandwagoned and been picking at least early on players that are a little more out there like Tommy Paul and BVDZ. So far it has worked out. Now tomorrow I may fall flat on my face with it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:05 pm ...

I don't know if this is a smart way to go about this whole SP thing but I have been trying to avoid the players that have been bandwagoned and been picking at least early on players that are a little more out there like Tommy Paul and BVDZ. So far it has worked out. Now tomorrow I may fall flat on my face with it.
Words uttered by every single person that has been playing this game for almost two decades now. Or a variation of them. You need to very very, very careful with your picks, and you need to be very, very lucky. It's why it is so maddening.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:20 pm

Words uttered by every single person that has been playing this game for almost two decades now. Or a variation of them. You need to very very, very careful with your picks, and you need to be very, very lucky. It's why it is so maddening.
Today's pick of BVDZ was the one pick so far that has been the easiest on my nerves and it still went to 4 sets. :lol:
shmrck14 United States of America

Post by shmrck14 »

dave g wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm Day 4 Pick Summary

Start 139
No Pick 9
Left 130

Bautista Agut 46 :(
Garin 26
Sonego 20
Van de Zandschulp 7
de Minaur 6
Schwartzman 6
Cressy 4
Brooksby 3
Frtiz 3
Kubler 2
McDonald 2
Shapovalov 2
Bonzi 1
Krajinovic 1

Start 130
Alive 56
Dead 55
In Limbo 19

*Note, this does not include the effects of Opelka's loss.
There was at least 1 brave Gasquet picker and I don't see that listed above. I know cause were friends IRL and I saw her post (it was aleape) on the picks thread.
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

There was at least 1 brave Gasquet picker and I don't see that listed above. I know cause were friends IRL and I saw her post (it was aleape) on the picks thread.
[/quote]
Fixed. Thanks
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

What you might find out, C4C, is that starting about now, third round, your pick really needs to win and then lose in the next round. If a couple of your early picks are still alive in the quarterfinals, you run out of people to pick. Preserving options for later is another nuance of the game.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:40 pm

What you might find out, C4C, is that starting about now, third round, your pick really needs to win and then lose in the next round. If a couple of your early picks are still alive in the quarterfinals, you run out of people to pick. Preserving options for later is another nuance of the game.
We have the same pick again for Day 5. Positive Thoughts and Fingers Crossed.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

There is this one point around R3 or R4 where you have to take a non conventional choice. Either from a 50/50 much or a higher seed. Very difficult to judge when exactly...
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I'm definitely getting out of touch a bit. Saw tomorrow's list and thought, oh a seed against a wild card about to face Djokovic. That's got to be a slam dunk pick right? And see everyone ese picking the Wild Card. :)

Have we ever had a 3rd round WC so widely picked?
:steven:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:28 pm I'm definitely getting out of touch a bit. Saw tomorrow's list and thought, oh a seed against a wild card about to face Djokovic. That's got to be a slam dunk pick right? And see everyone ese picking the Wild Card. :)

Have we ever had a 3rd round WC so widely picked?
Good point. And when you put it that way: :freaking:
Not sure we've had many third-round WCs who just stormed to their first title on the surface.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

He just beat Olpeka as well in 4 sets and isn't his opponent more of a Clay courter? That is why I picked him.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Bashilashvili: two hard court titles, three clay. Career records: 43/48 clay, 83/91 hard, 13/17 grass. He is a balanced player, winning about the same percentage in all surfaces. But his weakest one, by a little, seems to be grass.
New England Nitemare United States of America

Post by New England Nitemare »

I've been playing these pools for 12 years, first time ever that I got knocked out by a walkover....geez. Damn covid strikes again.....UGH

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:44 pm Bashilashvili: two hard court titles, three clay. Career records: 43/48 clay, 83/91 hard, 13/17 grass. He is a balanced player, winning about the same percentage in all surfaces. But his weakest one, by a little, seems to be grass.
This guy though van Rijhoven is definitely comfortable on the grass.