'22 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:15 pm Welp, Felix is gonna have to take this to 5 sets to win this one.
In a very close match. It is not looking good. I think he will pull through but not the way to start a tournament that is this tough.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:57 pmThis 3rd set is huge for both players.
WIth players on this level at a Slam, I never really buy any particular set being of huge value. Could definitely see this going 5, The final result remains a toss-up IMO.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I still think Felix has a shot in this match. It is not going to be easy at all. He just needs to take it one game at a time and that is probably what he is doing.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

First impressions of Serena: Power is still there, movement is okay, range/timing isn't great. Determination is high, she's roaring on every halfway aggressive shot a couple games in. If Tan can say calm and focused and get a lot of first serves in, I think she had the edge. Serena is teeing off on her second serve, which is forcing some double faults.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by nelslus »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:30 pm I still think Felix has a shot in this match. It is not going to be easy at all. He just needs to take it one game at a time and that is probably what he is doing.
And WHAT do you think you're doing, still here posting in TAT? Get out there on the practice court. 2025 Wimbledon will be here any day now. :o

Post by meganfernandez »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:35 pm First impressions of Serena: Power is still there, movement is okay, range/timing isn't great. Determination is high, she's roaring on every halfway aggressive shot a couple games in. If Tan can say calm and focused and get a lot of first serves in, I think she had the edge. Serena is teeing off on her second serve, which is forcing some double faults.
Well, Serena just ran down the dreaded drop shot/lob/drop shot combo and ended the point with an overhead. She must have had flashbacks to playing Hingis.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

nelslus wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:36 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:30 pm I still think Felix has a shot in this match. It is not going to be easy at all. He just needs to take it one game at a time and that is probably what he is doing.
And WHAT do you think you're doing, still here posting in TAT? Get out there on the practice court. 2025 Wimbledon will be here any day now. :o
:lol: I was already out there today for 2 hours. One thing my mom and coach tell me is that #1 is I need to be a kid first. For the two hours or so I am on the court that is my tennis time. Then the rest of the time they want me to be a kid.

Also when I am in school that comes first before hitting the tennis court. Moms rules.

Post by nelslus »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:42 pm :lol: I was already out there today for 2 hours. One thing my mom and coach tell me is that #1 is I need to be a kid first. For the two hours or so I am on the court that is my tennis time. Then the rest of the time they want me to be a kid.

Also when I am in school that comes first before hitting the tennis court. Moms rules.
Pretty imaginary little Pool trophies matter more. Nelslus Rules. :gorgeous:

PS: Your mom and coach are correct. You playing for an NCAA Division 1 university would be huge. My partner John (otherwise known in these parts as baby nelslus) and I have been a few times at the women's tennis NCAA play-offs at Northwestern, my alma mater. Not sure if I missed this- which universities are your top choices? :)

Post by meganfernandez »

FAA out of the bottom half. Thinks looking better and better for Rafa (and Botic, also in that half).
Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

FAA out, against Cressy.
I took Cressy out of my GA team thinking that Felix would be a bit too much. But a very close match.
Out in R1: Berrettini, Cilic, Hurlacz, FAA. Different reasons but still, a few dents in the draw.

Posted after Megan: yep, a VERY good day for Rafa.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

Tan out-steadied Serena to take the first set. It's fun stuff.

Cressy is so much fun to watch. Gets Sock next. Has a great shot at the quarters vs. Rafa or Botic.

Ponchi, dare we watch Muguruza??
Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

FAA, Shapovalov and Sinner have stalled in their development somewhat. Especially compared to Alcaraz albeit in his case also we need to see first how well he can follow up.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:26 pm FAA, Shapovalov and Sinner have stalled in their development somewhat. Especially compared to Alcaraz albeit in his case also we need to see first how well he can follow up.
I think Alcaraz is in a different league them them. Maybe half a league. Seems to have the steely belief of a champion.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

That's how it seems right now, but we might be having a recency bias. His Slam results not so special yet.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

nelslus wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:04 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:42 pm :lol: I was already out there today for 2 hours. One thing my mom and coach tell me is that #1 is I need to be a kid first. For the two hours or so I am on the court that is my tennis time. Then the rest of the time they want me to be a kid.

Pretty imaginary little Pool trophies matter more. Nelslus Rules. :gorgeous:

PS: Your mom and coach are correct. You playing for an NCAA Division 1 university would be huge. My partner John (otherwise known in these parts as baby nelslus) and I have been a few times at the women's tennis NCAA play-offs at Northwestern, my alma mater. Not sure if I missed this- which universities are your top choices? :)
I just finished the 10th grade and I really just started thinking about universities. Obviously the University of Florida is one of my choices. Not sure if I would get recruited there, but that would be my dream. Then there is also Vanderbilt University which is also one that I probably will not be recruited at. Others include The University of South Carolina, The University of Tennessee, & The University of Kentucky. There are also local schools like The University of Maryland & The University of Delaware. There is also a small Division 3 college in Vermont called Middlebury that I like a lot.

Tough match for Felix and I am kind of bummed about that, but Cressy did play a great match and deserved to move on.