'22 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:39 pm
nelslus wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:04 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:42 pm :lol: I was already out there today for 2 hours. One thing my mom and coach tell me is that #1 is I need to be a kid first. For the two hours or so I am on the court that is my tennis time. Then the rest of the time they want me to be a kid.

Also when I am in school that comes first before hitting the tennis court. Moms rules.
Pretty imaginary little Pool trophies matter more. Nelslus Rules. :gorgeous:

PS: Your mom and coach are correct. You playing for an NCAA Division 1 university would be huge. My partner John (otherwise known in these parts as baby nelslus) and I have been a few times at the women's tennis NCAA play-offs at Northwestern, my alma mater. Not sure if I missed this- which universities are your top choices? :)
I just finished the 10th grade and I really just started thinking about universities. Obviously the University of Florida is one of my choices. Not sure if I would get recruited there, but that would be my dream. Then there is also Vanderbilt University which is also one that I probably will not be recruited at. Others include The University of South Carolina, The University of Tennessee, & The University of Kentucky. There are also local schools like The University of Maryland & The University of Delaware. There is also a small Division 3 college in Vermont called Middlebury that I like a lot.

Tough match for Felix and I am kind of bummed about that, but Cressy did play a great match and deserved to move on.
Allow me to put the University of Indianapolis on your radar. :) It's a top D2 school. They always make the national championship. I live near there and play at their tennis center, and support the teams. It's a fantastic program, great coach, great group of kids. They support each other a lot. Good school, too.

You have a great attitude about your favorites winning and losing.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:25 pm Tan out-steadied Serena to take the first set. It's fun stuff.

Cressy is so much fun to watch. Gets Sock next. Has a great shot at the quarters vs. Rafa or Botic.

Ponchi, dare we watch Muguruza??
Can't. Only showing Centre Court here, so I get spared that pain.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:46 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:39 pm
nelslus wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:04 pm

Pretty imaginary little Pool trophies matter more. Nelslus Rules. :gorgeous:

PS: Your mom and coach are correct. You playing for an NCAA Division 1 university would be huge. My partner John (otherwise known in these parts as baby nelslus) and I have been a few times at the women's tennis NCAA play-offs at Northwestern, my alma mater. Not sure if I missed this- which universities are your top choices? :)
I just finished the 10th grade and I really just started thinking about universities. Obviously the University of Florida is one of my choices. Not sure if I would get recruited there, but that would be my dream. Then there is also Vanderbilt University which is also one that I probably will not be recruited at. Others include The University of South Carolina, The University of Tennessee, & The University of Kentucky. There are also local schools like The University of Maryland & The University of Delaware. There is also a small Division 3 college in Vermont called Middlebury that I like a lot.

Tough match for Felix and I am kind of bummed about that, but Cressy did play a great match and deserved to move on.
Allow me to put the University of Indianapolis on your radar. :) It's a top D2 school. They always make the national championship. I live near there and play at their tennis center, and support the teams. It's a fantastic program, great coach, great group of kids. They support each other a lot. Good school, too.

You have a great attitude about your favorites winning and losing.
I think in the my Senior year and the Summer before my Senior year I will visit some of these schools and see what they offer and what the coaches are like and maybe even hang with some of the players on the tennis team. I want to get a feel of what college is like and what schools will offer me the best chance of helping my tennis game and mostly the school that will give me the best education. That is what the main thing is and my mom makes sure she tells me that at least once or twice a week. :lol:

Both of my older brothers are in college right now. One is going to be a Senior next year and the other a Sophomore. They played Lacrosse since they were young and both play Club Lacrosse at the colleges they go to.
Last edited by Cuckoo4Coco on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:29 pm That's how it seems right now, but we might be having a recency bias. His Slam results not so special yet.
It's like Wertheim has been saying - it's not just the results, it's simply what you can see. We have all seen Alcaraz play and I think it's pretty clear he's a special player and competitor, more special than those guys you mentioned. Whether the results follow, who knows. Most likely.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Alcaraz is WAY ahead of the pack because, although he has not done anything great at a slam (he has done well), he already has two MS1000's. Those count.
It is a bit like Zverev, who has yet to win a slam, has been successful at MS1000's and has better results that his peers (Daniil and Stefanos) at that level (sure, Daniil has one slam). Right now, because of the age difference, Carlitos is in a class by himself, meaning he is not part of the NextGen-1, but has cleared himself from the NextGen-2 group.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Shelby Rogers is about to take an early 1st round exit in straight sets to Petra Martic.

Although Martic gets the Match Game Yips and loses her serve.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:59 pm Alcaraz is WAY ahead of the pack because, although he has not done anything great at a slam (he has done well), he already has two MS1000's. Those count.
QF of the USO last year was special, beating Tsitsipas. Youngest male US Open quarterfinalist in the Open Era, and only his fourth Slam.

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:05 pm Shelby Rogers is about to take an early 1st round exit in straight sets to Petra Martic.

Martic's a tough customer with decent Slam runs. I stayed away from this match in SP.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

@ megan. Sure, Carlitos has done well. He has yet to go beyond a QF. And at the level we are talking, one good showing (together with his RG QF) is not the stuff of what we expect him to reach. I am with you in the sense that he passes the eye test: his FH is a truly unique weapon, the serve is improving from tournament to tournament, the overall persona is very pleasant. He will reach further heights.
But he is not there yet.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:10 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:05 pm Shelby Rogers is about to take an early 1st round exit in straight sets to Petra Martic.

Martic's a tough customer with decent Slam runs. I stayed away from this match in SP.
I didn't. And am about to die (or at the very least, :vomit:

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:10 pm

I picked Serena today and I am a little nervous with the match still but things are looking good for her now.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I really want to watch now with Felix out both Taylor Fritz and Cameron Norrie.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

My question is: what is really happening with Mugu? Because a few bad results are one thing. This level of performance is something else. Especially in view that she is not injured (or has not said so).

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Martic ends Shelby Rogers on day one for her in straight sets.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And puts me out of my misery... :cry: