'22 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

ESPN also reporting that not only Cilic trained with Novak, Berrettini trained with Rafa.
Oh boy...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I'm no Simona Stan, but it's just disrespectful that Wimbledon didn't put her match on Centre Court. And they don't even have the excuse of being concerned that it would be a bad match. Injured last year, so It's her first match since winning the title, and Barty isn't there as defending champ. There is no reason they shouldn't have given her that honor.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:46 pm ESPN also reporting that not only Cilic trained with Novak, Berrettini trained with Rafa.
Oh boy...
Yes. It was heavily promoted, they were the first ever pre-tournament practice on Centre Court.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:40 pm Opelka giving a statement that grass is no longer for servers. That grass has become too slow. Looking at Rafa and Cerundolo, yes, this is no longer the court of the 1980's.
I don't think Reilly has ever said anything that made any sense to me. It's as if he lives in some alternative universe I've never heard of. Sure, big servers have had some success at Wimbledon, but I can't name a single player who ever won Wimbledon with nothing but a serve. You have to have other tools to go with it. (And Reilly DOES have other weapons, which just makes the statement even more mystifying.)

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding him.
shmrck14 United States of America

Post by shmrck14 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:46 pm ESPN also reporting that not only Cilic trained with Novak, Berrettini trained with Rafa.
Oh boy...
If I'm the AELTC I'm sh#&*ing bricks waiting for the other shoe to fall for these 2, particularly the unvaccinated 3x time defending champ. It kinda feels like it's only a matter of time.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:03 pm
Oh boy...
Yes. It was heavily promoted, they were the first ever pre-tournament practice on Centre Court.
Ok, I missed that. So I guess that by now they must be aware (Rafa's team).
BTW: Rafa just fell on court. Nothing major because his legs was not twisted, but... I am getting totally paranoid about these falls.
(And I know, it does not take much for me to go paranoid).

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:19 pm
JazzNU wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:03 pm
Oh boy...
Ok, I missed that. So I guess that by now they must be aware (Rafa's team).
BTW: Rafa just fell on court. Nothing major because his legs was not twisted, but... I am getting totally paranoid about these falls.
(And I know, it does not take much for me to go paranoid).
The best news for Rafa on the covid front is that the practice was several days ago, so there's a real chance that Matteo wasn't positive then. I'd say maybe it was on Friday.

You're not alone in your paranoia. Every grass fall makes me concerned for the player. Recent history hasn't been kind here and it's not just for this tournament either, I think that's part of the problem, the grass injuries have lingered and affected players for months so it makes me more worried.

Update - Rafa and Matteo practiced on the 23rd, so that was Thursday. - https://www.instagram.com/p/CfKDpYFonjc/

Matteo and Novak on the 24th, not sure if it was a practice that day or not - https://www.instagram.com/p/CfL4evQDsno/
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:17 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:40 pm Opelka giving a statement that grass is no longer for servers. That grass has become too slow. Looking at Rafa and Cerundolo, yes, this is no longer the court of the 1980's.
I don't think Reilly has ever said anything that made any sense to me. It's as if he lives in some alternative universe I've never heard of. Sure, big servers have had some success at Wimbledon, but I can't name a single player who ever won Wimbledon with nothing but a serve. You have to have other tools to go with it. (And Reilly DOES have other weapons, which just makes the statement even more mystifying.)

What about Philippoussis? Did he get to the final behind almost nothing but a serve? Or was his FH a serious weapon, too?
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Looks like FAA is having a test in his first match.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:44 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:17 pm

What about Philippoussis? Did he get to the final behind almost nothing but a serve? Or was his FH a serious weapon, too?
Philippousis had a monster FH, and was very adept at the net, with good volleys and an excellent smash.
Actually, in 97 when Sampras won, Mark had him on the ropes and retired with a knee injury. He was not a fluke (he also reached a USO final, so he has a bit of credentials).
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:47 pm Looks like FAA is having a test in his first match.
And we said it. Cressy in the first round, coming from a weekend grass final, was not going to be easy.
And the famous "Cerundolo is not going to win this match" is very much up in the air. Sure, I would not put money on him, but he is playing well.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:53 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:47 pm Looks like FAA is having a test in his first match.
And we said it. Cressy in the first round, coming from a weekend grass final, was not going to be easy.
And the famous "Cerundolo is not going to win this match" is very much up in the air. Sure, I would not put money on him, but he is playing well.
Cerundolo just might take Nadal to a 5th set but that is when Nadal always seems to go to the next gear and roll through that 5th set.

FAA looks like he is ready to go into a tie break in the 3rd set. This 3rd set is huge for both players.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Rafa ties Martina for #4 in all time wins at Grand Slams. 306.
Behind just Roger, Novak and Serena (I am not sure if Serena and Novak are in that order).

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Welp, Felix is gonna have to take this to 5 sets to win this one.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

*AND Cerundolo had chances to go up a double break in the 4th set. The lousy bum. :gorgeous:

*I can only stand watching Felix/Cressy for a few games here and there. It's weirdly unnerving to watch a match where you want both players to win.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous: