'22 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:30 pm And puts me out of my misery... :cry:
My two Suicide Contest players today were about ready to make me commit suicide :D with Nick Kyrgios and his 5 set match and now Serena in the 3rd set versus Tan. Making me hold my breath til the bitter end.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Venus brought some hair with her to England
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:40 pm
My two Suicide Contest players today were about ready to make me commit suicide :D with Nick Kyrgios and his 5 set match and now Serena in the 3rd set versus Tan. Making me hold my breath til the bitter end.
Bwahahahaha! Welcome to the Suicide Pools! :twisted: You still have time to repent and leave this messy place...
(Actually, no you don't. You are stuck here with the rest of us :freaking: )
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:09 pm
Bwahahahaha! Welcome to the Suicide Pools! :twisted: You still have time to repent and leave this messy place...
:lol:
And Serena can't close the match out on her serve. Unfreakingbelievable.

Heck of a match for Harmony Tan. Has to be her best match ever. Too bad for Serena and this early exit.

Also a pretty early exit for me in the Women's Suicide Contest. At least I am still alive on the Men's side.

Another awesome day at Wimbledon.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

At least we're spared the garbage about Serena being a possible contender. Throwing in 80 mph first serves, missing shots by yards and moving sluggishly, all of which is totally expected for any 40-something player who has not competed for 12 months regardless of their history.

Tan fed her a steady diet of junk and it paid off because of the poor footwork and massive rust.

Gauff and Serena played horribly today, but since Gauff is 18 and coming off a slam final, she found a way to win. I don't like her chances here with those extreme grips, but I don't want to underestimate her incredible will and movement.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:10 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:09 pm
Also a pretty early exit for me in the Women's Suicide Contest.
Don't worry. It gets worse. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:10 pm ...

Heck of a match for Harmony Tan. Has to be her best match ever. Too bad for Serena and this early exit.

Also a pretty early exit for me in the Women's Suicide Contest. At least I am still alive on the Men's side.

Which, for those of us with years of experience and frustration in this game, is the fastest and most effective way to jinx yourself into tomorrow your pick losing, again, in another agonizing final set Tie-Break.
The little nuances of this game...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

jazzyg wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:51 pm At least we're spared the garbage about Serena being a possible contender. Throwing in 80 mph first serves, missing shots by yards and moving sluggishly, all of which is totally expected for any 40-something player who has not competed for 12 months regardless of their history.

Tan fed her a steady diet of junk and it paid off because of the poor footwork and massive rust.

Gauff and Serena played horribly today, but since Gauff is 18 and coming off a slam final, she found a way to win. I don't like her chances here with those extreme grips, but I don't want to underestimate her incredible will and movement.
Even if Serena had been in prime form, Tan's only chance was that. No pace, no rhythm, nothing for Serena to build on. Sure, a prime Serena would have squeaked the first set and roll on the second, but a good tactical plan from Tan.
For those that are followers of Serena: last match at the AELTC?

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:54 pm

Which, for those of us with years of experience and frustration in this game, is the fastest and most effective way to jinx yourself into tomorrow your pick losing, again, in another agonizing final set Tie-Break.
I am not that confident with my pick of Paul for tomorrow and the last time I checked I think only me and meganfernandez selected him.
meganfernandez United States of America

'22 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote:

I am not that confident with my pick of Paul for tomorrow and the last time I checked I think only me and meganfernandez selected him.
Don’t jinx us!!! :) I originally picked Serena today, for old time’s sake, then decided to save AND avoid her, so ai changed it. I’m sorry you got “cheeked” early but at least you made it last Day 1! I have never won a women’s SP and rarely made it to the second week. I think the men’s is easier.

I’m feeling good about Paul tomorrow. My only worry is that we could have used him in the next round.

Positive thoughts!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I've never won a women's SP, either. I made a rare appearance in the final page at Roland Garros and promptly lost.

I picked Paul to reach the third round before the tournament, but I feel there are a lot of better picks tomorrow. Mannarino has made the fourth round three times.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:27 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:

Don’t jinx us!!! :) I originally picked Serena today, for old time’s sake, then decided to save AND avoid her, so ai changed it. I’m sorry you got “cheeked” early but at least you made it last Day 1! I have never won a women’s SP and rarely made it to the second week. I think the men’s is easier.

I’m feeling good about Paul tomorrow. My only worry is that we could have used him in the next round.

Positive thoughts!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't want to jinx other peoples picks but I think I will be cheering against Otte and Kecmanovic tomorrow. :D

I will be watching and cheering on Tommy Paul tomorrow for sure.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

jazzyg wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:51 pm At least we're spared the garbage about Serena being a possible contender. Throwing in 80 mph first serves, missing shots by yards and moving sluggishly, all of which is totally expected for any 40-something player who has not competed for 12 months regardless of their history.

^ Yes... I saw the 1st set and the beginning of the 3rd set of Serena - Tan, and Serena was as you describe above.
Wozniacki (and her annoying voice) was one of the commentators for that match, and she said that Serena's movement was "really good" - thus providing a strong argument against having people commentate on the matches of their personal friends - because, from what I saw, Serena's movement was terrible. And Tan was taking advantage with the drop shots that Serena wasn't getting anywhere near.

Along with the poor movement, Serena missed all kinds of shots. But every once in a while, she'd hit a great shot. She looked exactly like a 40 year old player who is coming back from a 2 year retirement, and who used to be really good, but who has not competed in a long time.
I'm surprised it went 3 sets. I guess Serena must have done something right in the middle set (which I didn't watch, as I was focused on Felix - Cressy).
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Very impressed with Halep and Swiatek today ..both played like champions...Gauff not so much..her forehand was repeatedly exposed yet again ..
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:59 pm Alcaraz is WAY ahead of the pack because, although he has not done anything great at a slam (he has done well), he already has two MS1000's. Those count.
It is a bit like Zverev, who has yet to win a slam, has been successful at MS1000's and has better results that his peers (Daniil and Stefanos) at that level (sure, Daniil has one slam). Right now, because of the age difference, Carlitos is in a class by himself, meaning he is not part of the NextGen-1, but has cleared himself from the NextGen-2 group.
Right, but he's definitely the same generation as Sinner and FAA. Age difference is only 1-2 years.