'22 Wimbledon Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:10 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: I think my pick for Day 4 on the men's side is going to be one that will not be bandwagoned. A player I know pretty much nothing about in Van De Zandsculp.
Well, you are talking to a big Botic fan. :) not bad because he is in Nadal’s section so you want to use him before R4. But I’m concerned about his opponent, a very big server. I’d like Botox’s chance in the next round better, against McDonald or Gasquet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always go with my first gut feeling.

Mertens has evened up the match at 1 set a piece and play is suspended until tomorrow.
I might be wrong about Ruusuvuori's serve anyway. I assumed he has a big serve because he's tall, but he's not on the ATP leaderboard in % of serves unreturned. Could be a very solid pick.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, yes, please. And when they do not enforce the rules, I believe it is not good. Rafa and Novak should have their time violations enforced, in the first set and in the 5th set TB. F-bombs should be enforced, regardless of score or moment in the match. So, by that logic, let's go back to the 70's when ALL rules were discretionary by the chair umpire. Let's see how long before the players ask for rules in writing again.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 pmMertens has evened up the match at 1 set a piece and play is suspended until tomorrow.
Mertens (boringly) saved two match points, BTW.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Isner has 90 aces over 2 matches

Post by meganfernandez »

One thing I Iike about Isner - this speech he's giving after beating Murray. "I'm not a better tennis player than Andy Murray. I maybe just played a little better today...." Thanked the crowd for being respectful. Said Murray is a huge inspiration around the locker room and everyone's so lucky he's still playing.

Interviewer: How did you stay strong after losing the third set?
Isner: I served.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Suliso wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:47 pm It seems like that right now, but I bet <10 players will last to QF's in either draw.
I bet it'll be around 8
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:27 pm One thing Iike about Isner - this speech he's giving after beating Murray. "I'm not a better tennis player than Andy Murray. I maybe just played a little better today...." thanked the crowd for being respectful.

He is personable and quite likeable until you learn about his political leanings and stuff he stands for, and, at his age and exposure to the world, you can no longer blame it on culture/upbringing.

Post by nelslus »

*My take on Korpatsch- she has every right to be furious. But, I also agree that folks need to stop using social media for grievances. There are FAR too many evil, creepy, negative and scary people out there- stating the obvious, most definitely concerning women and people of color.

*As much as this shames me :shock: - I have to go Team Ponchi here. Discretion is where I will always think that Carlos shafted Serena big-time. IMO, not here. Rules are rules, even when, horribly, it happens on a match point down.

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:32 pm *My take on Korpatsch- she has every right to be furious. But, I also agree that folks need to stop using social media for grievances. There are FAR too many evil, creepy, negative and scary people out there- stating the obvious, most definitely concerning women and people of color.

*As much as this shames me :shock: - I have to go Team Ponchi here. Discretion is where I will always think that Carlos shafted Serena big-time. IMO, not here. Rules are rules, even when, horribly, it happens on a match point down.
Whenever there's an unfortunate rule enforcement, people seem to forget there's another player to consider - in this case, Vesely. Both players deserve for rules to be enforced throughout a match. It would have been even more unfair - to Vesely - if a clear-cut rule hadn't been enforced on a critical point. I feel for ADF, but it was the right call.

Pretty immature of Korpatsch and I hope they Korpatsch things up.
Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 4.48.17 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I'll be anxiously awaiting all the posts from you guys about your favorite players needing to be warned and penalized for their various breaking of the rules when it occurs in the name of fairness now.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Weighing in a on a variety of topics:

After putting in my two cents on the Paul pick yesterday, I ended up watching quite a bit of his match with Mannarino, and he was brilliant. Mannarino played well for the first two sets, but Paul's forehand was massive and he simply never missed. I definitely was wrong in considering that match a tough one. It will be interesting to see how he does against a guy with weapons like Vesely (who often plays better at Wimbledon than anywhere else), but he will be in with a chance against almost anyone if he keeps this level.

I understand Korpasch's anger at the moment, but attacking someone on social media always is a bad look.

Isner had one of his rare terrific matches today, like the time he beat Federer in Switzerland on clay in Davis Cup. Murray's lack of finishing ability helped him, but Isner volleyed and hit his groundstrokes as well as I've ever seen him on grass. The stat of the year, by the way, was his having been 1 for 41 in his career on break points against Murray until today, when he broke him twice in three chances.

It stinks for Davidovich Fokina to go out that way, but he probably was going to lose anyway. He had to win his point on serve and then win a point on Vesely's serve to pull even, which was unlikely. I would not have given DF a point penalty, but I see both sides of the issue.

I would advise against picking Van De Zandschulp. Ruusovori beat him on grass last month in their only career meeting. I still think Van De Zandschulp will win the rematch, but not enough to use him in a suicide pool.

Megan and I have the same men's pick tomorrow. It's a bit of a risk, but in my case, I'm not picking anyone from the second section because I am saving all of those guys to beat whoever wins the top of the four sections on that half of the draw.

I will be irritated if Mertens wins tomorrow after saving the two match points today on her opponent's serve at 40-15 and then being tied at 5 in the tiebreak. Only 33 people would be left in the women's suicide pool if she loses.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:15 pm Monica Puig just made an excellent point about Raducanu's points to defend. I guess we forgot this: not only she is defending 2000 points at the USO, she is defending more because she earned points from the qualifying. Talk about a pressure position.
^ She got a decent number of points from Wimbledon last year, as well, I believe...
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:19 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:13 pm
Also, drama! How ironic would it be if Wimbledon allowed late substitutions and Serena could step in and play with Korpatsch? :D

It doesn't seem fair. I know that Tan played a tough long match the day before and she is saying she has a thigh injury but I know that thigh injury is not going to keep her out of her singles match tomorrow.

Her doubles partner is now done without even playing a single doubles match at all. Don't seem at all fair to her.
^ I don't like the posting on 'social media' thing - because 'social media' is a synonym for 'garbage' - but she has a 100% right to be extremely upset at Tan.
Look - it's a very simple equation: If you enter a draw, you MUST be prepared to play through until you lose - with the exception of a serious injury or some type of urgent situation (like your father suddenly becoming ill, for example). This is true for EVERY DRAW you enter. If you are not sure that you'll want to play in one draw if you play a long match in another draw, then DO NOT ENTER BOTH DRAWS - enter only one.
In the doubles draw, you have a responsibility to your partner - whether that partner is a regular partner and good friend, or if it's a complete stranger you've never met.
In this situation, Harmony Tan should have never entered the doubles draw, period. But she did - and therefore she has a responsibility to play the matches she is scheduled to play. If she takes to the court for her singles match tomorrow (and everything indicates that she will), she should, at the very least, be fined for pulling out of the doubles.
SCHEDULED MATCHES ARE NOT OPTIONAL.
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:27 pm One thing I Iike about Isner - this speech he's giving after beating Murray. "I'm not a better tennis player than Andy Murray. I maybe just played a little better today...." Thanked the crowd for being respectful. Said Murray is a huge inspiration around the locker room and everyone's so lucky he's still playing.

^ Yes, Isner's post match interview was quite classy.
While Isner's politics, etc. have been criticized (by people who like to call themselves 'non-judgemental'!), he has always been one of the most well liked and respected players on the tour by his peers. That should tell you something.
James Blake is also one of Isner's best friends, by the way.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:32 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:15 pm Monica Puig just made an excellent point about Raducanu's points to defend. I guess we forgot this: not only she is defending 2000 points at the USO, she is defending more because she earned points from the qualifying. Talk about a pressure position.
^ She got a decent number of points from Wimbledon last year, as well, I believe...
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:19 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:13 pm
Also, drama! How ironic would it be if Wimbledon allowed late substitutions and Serena could step in and play with Korpatsch? :D

It doesn't seem fair. I know that Tan played a tough long match the day before and she is saying she has a thigh injury but I know that thigh injury is not going to keep her out of her singles match tomorrow.

Her doubles partner is now done without even playing a single doubles match at all. Don't seem at all fair to her.
^ I don't like the posting on 'social media' thing - because 'social media' is a synonym for 'garbage' - but she has a 100% right to be extremely upset at Tan.
Look - it's a very simple equation: If you enter a draw, you MUST be prepared to play through until you lose - with the exception of a serious injury or some type of urgent situation (like your father suddenly becoming ill, for example). This is true for EVERY DRAW you enter. If you are not sure that you'll want to play in one draw if you play a long match in another draw, then DO NOT ENTER BOTH DRAWS - enter only one.
In the doubles draw, you have a responsibility to your partner - whether that partner is a regular partner and good friend, or if it's a complete stranger you've never met.
In this situation, Harmony Tan should have never entered the doubles draw, period. But she did - and therefore she has a responsibility to play the matches she is scheduled to play. If she takes to the court for her singles match tomorrow (and everything indicates that she will), she should, at the very least, be fined for pulling out of the doubles.
SCHEDULED MATCHES ARE NOT OPTIONAL.
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:27 pm One thing I Iike about Isner - this speech he's giving after beating Murray. "I'm not a better tennis player than Andy Murray. I maybe just played a little better today...." Thanked the crowd for being respectful. Said Murray is a huge inspiration around the locker room and everyone's so lucky he's still playing.

^ Yes, Isner's post match interview was quite classy.
While Isner's politics, etc. have been criticized (by people who like to call themselves 'non-judgemental'!), he has always been one of the most well liked and respected players on the tour by his peers. That should tell you something.
James Blake is also one of Isner's best friends, by the way.
I see it the same as you. You sign up to play and unless you have a serious injury you play. I guarantee you this thigh injury is not going to keep Harmony out of her singles match tomorrow.
As for Social Media even being a teenager I have never really liked it. Even being 16 years old so I am not a young teen my mom still filters how I use and what I use on Social Media and I really don't mind that at all. I also had a friend bullied on Social Media really badly and that was not cool at all so my view on Social Media and people being jerks on it is pretty strong. What I think anyway about Korpatsch is she quickly overreacted to a situation she was very pissed about and made a mistake in the moment and posted something she shouldn't have on Social Media. The thing is she is really not that young of a player. This is something you would think would come from an early 20's player or a teen player. I can tell ya if it happened to me at the age I am at now I would have been pissed and I probably would have overreacted just like she did. I am however the type of person though that likes to confront the person to the face and I probably would have done that instead of the Social Media way but that is just me.

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:08 pm I'll be anxiously awaiting all the posts from you guys about your favorite players needing to be warned and penalized for their various breaking of the rules when it occurs in the name of fairness now.
Oh, HELL, I ain't gonna be a hypocrite here. If this scenario were to happen here at Wimbledon to Petra, or in the future (LOL, I know, RIGHT, in the future!!) to Venus or Roger- I'd go ballistic, and delete every piece of evidence of my opinions expressed here today or anywhere else.

(BTW, I thought that Davidovich Fokina had gotten some kind of earlier warning in the match? If he hadn't, I might have to re-think my opinion here? I don't think umpires consistently give a point penalty for first rule breaks? if I'm wrong about this, please do let me know.)

For sure, and this has never been truly addressed by the tours- but, there most definitely should be much more consensus on specific rule penalties with the umpires. Serena has gotten shafted: the Carlos match, getting called for a hindrance during the US Open Stosur final (and I was there at that match- it was a hindrance, but MANY players don't get called for hindrance for far worse noise hindrances during matches*****)- and then not shafted IMO (the "swear to God I'll f***ing take the ball and shove it down your f***ing throat" debacle, the default at the US Open against Kim....

*****I have a funny story (funny to me, anyway) to share about a favorite not getting a hindrance call. A bunch of us were at the 2009 R32 US Open match where Petra beat Safina. I hadn't noticed the following while we were there (we were all shrieking our own lungs out, and participating in shouting out "Petra" vs. "Safina" for reasons only known to us). But, there's some coverage of this match in You Tube. WELL, Petra let out two HELLISH!!!! shrieks DURING her match point that won the match. Both were hindrances to the nth degree. LOL, I am relatively certain that Carlos would have called Petra out on this. But, she didn't get the hindrance call. And I have no problems with that. :shock: (AND, thus, btw, was my Petra fan-love born- much to my fan-mental-health detriment.)

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'd scream too. That was some hitting by both women.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein